Author Topic: My new DK cab has too many fireballs  (Read 8143 times)

The Butcher

My new DK cab has too many fireballs
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:43:10 am »
Just got my first dedicated DK cab last night, it looks and works great, so i thought

played through, got to the first pie stage and it had 5 fireballs instead of 3

why? is this a difficulty setting or an issue with a chip

Munteanfo

Re: My new DK cab has too many fireballs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:49 am »
Hey Thebutcher!

On the first pie factory L=3, the level start with 3 fireballs spawning at the beginning. But throughout the level, another fireball will spawn, and a fifth one will spawn later. So at the end of every pie factory, there will always be a total of 5 fireballs. But on stage 3, the level starts with 3 fireballs, on stage 4, the level starts with 4 fireballs, and on stage 5+, the level starts always start with 5 fireballs!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:57:55 am »
I think there is a harder chip set that spits out 5 fireballs from the start at lv 3, not 100% sure on that though.
DK 1.1M Point Scorer CK World Record Holder - Arcade Submit a score for every DK3 track Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:52:31 am »

Hey Matt,

Your signature lists a high score of 285,100 (Level 9-1) on the arcade platform.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're not represented on our forum scoreboard.  Is there any supporting documentation for that game, or should we wait for a new personal best?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

jammyyy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:53:47 am »
yes there is a few modified ROM sets floating around from 80`s where the difficulty is crank up  :o

The Butcher

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:44 am »
My new high score is actually 326,600 :)

Um, can i turn the difficulty back DOWN then some how? or do I need to replace a chip or a board or something

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:51:40 am »
You could probably just replace the roms, but I would be interested in a straight trade for a unmodded pcb, assuming your board is a tkg4 original 2 board set
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:33 am »
Sounds like either some corrupt code or else a distinctly different rom-set. You should at least document the fireball stuff with video for the forum in case it turns out to be a legit, harder version of the roms. I know the romset at Galloping Ghost (which Estel is familiar with) is super hard, but it seems like your roms only exhibit a particular aspect of how those GG roms function (the GG roms affect other boards too, not just the conveyor stage).
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:01 am »
Yeah, there was an aftermarket "harder" romset, but I don't remember if it was official or not. Ken has that version. He dumped the roms and made it available for some of us to try in mame awhile back. John Marks has it as well, and made a video of it:

http://www.twitch.tv/voodoo_chilly/c/373723
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »
In the hard version that a few others have come across there is also a noticeable difference on the rivet stages.  On Level 1 the fireballs behave like they do on Level 5, including faster overall speeds and also a much faster spawn rate.

For The Butcher:  Is it possible in your game to grab the bottom prize on Level 1 as soon as the screen starts without triggering a spawn on the left side, or do you always get a left spawner if you try to get that prize?

If you could post a video of gameplay through the first 3 Levels on Youtube or on your Twitch channel and post a link here, I think a lot of folks would be interested to see the differences on all screen types and whether or not it matches up with other known "Hard" romsets out there. 

Some others will probably be able to tell you more about what to look for on the hardware -- there may be one or two chips that will look noticeably different than the other, factory original ones.  These would just have to be replaced, reburned, etc, but let's find out first if yours is like some of these other ones out there.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

The Butcher

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 02:45:53 pm »
OK guys, here's what I got. It is A LOT harder. Stage 1 pie factory has 5 fireballs. Stage 1 rivet has 3 that spawn before i can get the first rivet.

Here's a video of the first 3ish levels:

Dk test

And here's some pictures of the board:

I think this is really neat, is there a high value on it?

Not I thought i was getting though :(

The Butcher

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »
sorry about the bad picture, bad phone. will take better ones for a buyer/trader

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:13 pm »
This is the modified chipset. A lot harder than the standard roms. The fireballs are moving extremely fast and they also spawn faster. I heard of these but never seen it in person.
DK 1.1M Point Scorer CK World Record Holder - Arcade Submit a score for every DK3 track Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:16:39 pm »
Oh yeah, this is the known hard romset that is also at Galloping Ghost. Maybe trial by fire will be a good way to learn the game! ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

The Butcher

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 05:23:59 pm »
what about value? is it worth more or less then the standard version? or no change?

will i be able to trade it you think?