Author Topic: Spring Theory  (Read 46951 times)

Offline kenneyaf

• Awards
Re: Spring Theory
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2024, 03:14:56 pm »
I'm working specifically on springs now at 4 months into playing the game.
When moving from right to left, I use the traditional means - look for a "short" spring on DK's right foot (his right foot). Proceed to let that spring begin to go over mario's head as I move to the left and to the safe spot near the yellow area.
Then, I go "off the reservation." Tradition tells me to wait for one extra-"long" spring, let it pass over mario's head as I proceed toward the ladder... If the next spring is long, head back to the safe spot.
I stopped doing the tradition when I realized that my brain was unable to process the position of a long second spring before I could react.
SO last night I save stated through about 200 attempts from L=04 through L=10 elevator boards. In my play, looking at the left edge of the screen as the springs enter was the way to go for me. As it turns out, all short springs enter higher on the left edge of the screen and all long springs enter lower on the left edge of the screen. The longest spring enters at a low point on the left edge of the screen that can look startling in comparison to others. This is the spring I go right on. In the 200 attempts, I did not need to check the next spring. I made it up the ladder just fine provided that I started in the absolute rightmost position I could. Weird, but I plan on running about 1K attempts and at some point I will capture footage from MAME and check it.
Waiting for the safest spring is of course not ideal for scoring, so there's more work I need to do in order to not kill the bonus.

Offline chungy

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2024, 01:47:41 pm »
In my play, looking at the left edge of the screen as the springs enter was the way to go for me. As it turns out, all short springs enter higher on the left edge of the screen and all long springs enter lower on the left edge of the screen. The longest spring enters at a low point on the left edge of the screen that can look startling in comparison to others. This is the spring I go right on.

That's an amazing observation. I need to try looking out for this too, it sounds much easier than waiting for the bounce!
Member for 1 Year Twitch Streamer

Offline kenneyaf

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2024, 11:39:30 pm »
That's an amazing observation. I need to try looking out for this too, it sounds much easier than waiting for the bounce!

Unfortunately after about 500 attempts the theory fell apart on there being "one spring to rule them all."  Kappa
I did another 20 attempts and recorded it. It does show that the longest spring enters at the lowest point on the left edge, but it also showed that another long spring can enter after it and result in a death. Good try. 

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2024, 08:37:33 pm »
I have an answer for you that could solve your problems.

Look at the distance between springs.  If the distance is large this means the first spring is a long spring and the second spring is a short spring.
Go after the long spring passes and you'll make it.
Sorry I didn't look at this sooner
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener