Author Topic: DKPace 3  (Read 11345 times)

WCopeland

DKPace 3
« on: July 19, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »

DKPace 3

How do I get it and run it?

DKPace 3 Windows 64-bit: Download
Once downloaded, extract the zip somewhere and run DKPace.exe.

DKPace 3 Mac OS X: Download

How do I actually use it?

Since DKPace 3 uses live input rather than automated input, you must use shorthand to enter your scores.  It's very simple. An example game might look like this:
  • Finished L4, entered "120" for start. 120 is recognized by DKPace as 120,000.
  • Finished L5, entered my score of "180.5". 180.5 is recognized by DKPace as 180,500.
  • Died somewhere on L6, it was approximately a 4000 point death. Entered "4d".
  • Finished L6, entered my score of "237.8". 237,800 is what DKPace picks up.
NOTE: DKPace 3 only cares about level averages, not board averages. As such, you only enter scores after finishing a L4+ rivet board.
NOTE: You can press the Enter key instead of clicking the Submit button.

Pretty easy!

I want to make my own changes to the app.

Cool.  It's open-source.  Here's the Github repository:
https://github.com/wescopeland/DKPace-3

DKPace is written in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.  It's basically a website pretending to be a desktop app.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:44:42 pm by WCopeland »

Donkey Kong Genius

Re: DKPace 2 - Complete rewrite and optimized for streaming
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »
Thanks Wesley. I am sure a lot of people are going to try it out. Very cool! :D

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:19 pm »
For those inclined, I suppose this pace program would work for junior too or no?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
Yes, it will work with DK Jr.

I have released an update that adds a Vertical UI to the calculator, so you can use either the Horizontal or Vertical orientation during streaming. To download this update just redownload the calculator from the repository. Here's a preview:

WCopeland

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
My apologies for the double post, but you can now enter a custom goal score without having to manually open the JavaScript.  This can be done from the config menu:

With that, I'm all out of feature ideas.  If you guys have anything you'd like to see added, be sure to let me know.

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:08 am »
Pretty cool Wes, respect!
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
With that, I'm all out of feature ideas.  If you guys have anything you'd like to see added, be sure to let me know.

Looks great, Wes!  I have only one suggestion:

How about a user option to control the calculation of estimated points from future deaths?

Pauline uses a standard value of 5000 for deaths 1-3, and 700 for the killscreen.  The program developed by Mitch's friend Alex uses 5000 for the 1st death only.  Points for deaths 2-3 are calculated as the average of all prior deaths.  The killscreen value remains at 700.

I'm proposing a pair of user-supplied parameters:  SV = Standard Value, CM = Calculation Method (Constant or Average)

Here are a couple of examples, with estimated future values in red:

Example #1 (SV = 4000, CM = Constant)

Description

D1

D2

D3

D4

Total
Beginning of game

After 1st death

After 2nd death

After 3rd death

Example #2 (SV = 5000, CM = Average)

Description

D1

D2

D3

D4

Total
Beginning of game

After 1st death

After 2nd death

After 3rd death

Given the option, I would probably select:  SV = 2500, CM = Constant

For me, 5000 per death is a bit optimistic.  My embarrassing mistakes typically yield only half that amount.  Also, in my experience, the average of prior death points is not a reliable predictor, but others may find it useful.

Just a thought.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »
Looks great, Wes!  I have only one suggestion:

How about a user option to control the calculation of estimated points from future deaths?

I'm open to a discussion on a feature like this, and you're not the first person to mention something along these lines.

At the moment, my calculator assumes every death will be 0 points.  This is an intentional design decision to reduce the "fuzziness" of the pace calculation.  You can test how this works yourself by doing the following steps:
  • Enter "100" to represent a 100k start.
  • Enter "150" to represent a 50k level.
  • Look at your current pace.
  • Enter "10d" to represent a 10k death while watching your current pace.
  • Notice your pace increases by 10,000.
My argument for handling deaths like this is since this calculator is more intended to better engage viewers (helping the streamer is secondary, though it's helpful to not have to do this sort of math in your head), "fuzzy logic" based on deaths can wind up being incredibly confusing. This also eliminates false hope that the streamer might be at that target pace "if only" they had a 5k or even a 0.8k death. By defining every death as zero unless told otherwise, both the viewers and the streamers know the true concrete pace of the game.  This also relegates any death points to being "bonus points", which is how they really should probably be thought as.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 04:54:03 pm »
By defining every death as zero unless told otherwise, both the viewers and the streamers know the true concrete pace of the game.  This also relegates any death points to being "bonus points", which is how they really should probably be thought as.

Good point.  No argument here.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 05:29:29 pm »
How about voice command? I love the idea. Right now I keep a chart on my stream and also one right by me. The value of the program would lie in other data made available such as level averages. Unfortunately having to use my hands cuts into my after level rest, besides my computer sits too low on my small table and I hug my cab like a koala bear. <graphic of me doing this needed> :P In all seriousness voice command would be awesome though perhaps difficult to do.

WCopeland

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »
How about voice command? I love the idea. Right now I keep a chart on my stream and also one right by me. The value of the program would lie in other data made available such as level averages. Unfortunately having to use my hands cuts into my after level rest, besides my computer sits too low on my small table and I hug my cab like a koala bear. <graphic of me doing this needed> :P In all seriousness voice command would be awesome though perhaps difficult to do.

From a technical standpoint, all third-party functionality (computer vision/screen recognition, voice recognition) needs to be supported as a Node.js library, since the app itself is built on the Node.js platform.

I did find a Node.js voice recognition library here:
https://github.com/sreuter/node-speakable
So your idea IS possible.

Voice recognition opens a whole other can of worms though in terms of accidental incorrect input. Since we're not doing screen recognition/computer vision, the margin for error is extremely low. It would be very difficult to teach the program to be "trained" to hear your voice.

I've been toying with another idea, and I'd love to have your thoughts on it: input through your iPhone or Android phone. Since  the calculator is technically already a website anyway (go into the views folder and open index.html), I feel like the only component missing is a local server, which I already know how to set up using Node.js. You could enter your numbers in through your phone's touchscreen instead of having to use your laptop keyboard if you wanted.

edit: I'm going to investigate this voice recognition library too. It looks like it actually sends your voice to Google Speech to figure out what was said.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:19:58 pm by WCopeland »

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 07:03:49 pm »
I like all of these ideas. Since my phone is a dinosaur it does not even have the kind of functionality needed to use it for this purpose. I would be curious what you come up with.

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:26 pm »
Heres an idea: for people that are just running boards, you could add an option in the config to pace out your game based on deaths rather then points.  So lets say you lose your first man at 200k.  That mean that if you stay on track, you will probably die at around 800k.  After more deaths are recorded, the points per each death could be averaged together to get a more accurate final score/level.  Just my thoughts.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:49:02 am »
I did try this once this weekend, only had a few starts, so couldn't really test it that well. One of my suggestions was points from deaths, but now I see there is an entry for that, just need to put the "d" at the end.

I see that if you skip a level entry, you're pretty much ended the pace calculation, or did I miss that?

I agree to not include future value from deaths, those are good bonus point to help you get back on track.

Could the text be made a little bigger? I was view it vertically, and when it came  through my stream, a little bigger text would have helped.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:08:52 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:37:27 am »
I did try this once this weekend, only had a few starts, so could really test it that well. One of my suggestions was points from deaths, point I see that is an entry, just need to put the "d" at the end.

I see that if you skip a level entry, you're pretty much ended the pace calculation, or did I miss that?

I agree to not include future value from deaths, those are good bonus point to help you get back on track.

Could the text be made a little bigger? I was view it vertically, and when it came  through my stream, a little bigger text would have helped.

If you forget a level, yes, the calculator no longer has any idea where you are in the game.

I can include an option to make the text bigger -- have you tried blowing it up on your stream?  I'm pretty that's what Ethan is doing and it makes everything very visible for viewers.

Not sure what you mean by your suggestion with points on deaths ... can you elaborate just a little bit?

Thanks, Dave.