Author Topic: New to the forum and new streamer! DKJR  (Read 47888 times)

Offline DKJR

• Awards
Re: New to the forum and new streamer! DKJR
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:24 pm »
Thanks DKG...I just got my first 200K (no pressing all screaming through boards) first game in a long time like years and my 2nd ever. Its thanks to the videos on this forum.
I put the game on unlimited later in the night and the Levels on my cab go to 9 then the square is blank. I thought it was suppose to switch to letters. I don't know if its due to the save kit being on unlimited or if they go to blank for a few levels then turn in to letter if any of the KS folks know this I'd be interesting in learning the levels.
Thanks,
DKJR
DKJR pb 721k & 621k (KS) DK pb 357k
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »
No problem, congrats on the 200K! Yup, that is normal. The levels are 1 thru 9, then there are 7 blank levels, and then A - F, F-1 being the killscreen.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 11:10:29 pm »
I would also add that watching Christer Kristensson's game may help a lot too. He basically just ran boards safely and it is a killscreen game. You can get his inp files from the Junior High Score List, and you can play it back in mame. Let me know if you need help at all.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of him?   

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 06:24:18 am »
The levels are 1 thru 9, then there are 7 blank levels, and then A - F, F-1 being the killscreen.

It's also interesting to note that Junior (as does Popeye) cycles through the character tilemap for use as the level indicator. So if Junior didn't have the timer bug, it would have used what is seen here:

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:15 pm »
DK Genius thanks for the tip I downloaded WinRAR and Wolf mame 106 from the forum and watched some of Christer Kristenssong's gameplay I hope to I hope to put in some practice time Monday, I'll most likely cast that practice on twitch.tv and will try and post a shorter version of it for youtube. I will look into the recording software the OBS. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
DKJR

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
Spring boards have gotten a lot better with video study and game play. I feel much more comfortable and I know what to expect and how to get the super jump done correct around 90% of the time. I'm really struggling on the chains/key stage I'm consistently in the 140 now but still losing jr.s on lvl 2 3 or 4 or 5 chains my last 5 or 6 games I've only lost all my lives on that one board type. But hey it's progress. I dug out my x-arcade tank stick and got mame booted up and have save states set up for practice. Anyone have a opinion on if save states help or hurt ur game? I'm going to read the OBS streaming set up thread this weekend as that looks promising. If anyone has a beginners guide to blue chains/key stage let me know I don't care about fruit drops etc. I just need to reliably get past the boards to keep my games rolling. Thanks to everyone I'm enjoying the forum.
Tony

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 11:07:09 am »
If you aren't concerned with points at all, it's a good idea to try and push the far left key up first, as it seems the snapjaws tend to congregate around that area toward the end of the screen and that can make it tricky to finish if that key is left for last. If you manage to get that key out of the way, smashing snapjaws with the right apple will make the screen that much easier to finish because they will respawn on the left side of the board. Learn where the safe spots between the birds are, and use them to wait and see what the snapjaws decide to do before making your move to push up keys. I think it is easier to wait in these spots with both hands on one chain because it "seems" that your vertical hitbox is slightly smaller. If you wait spread-eagle, it's easy to misjudge your position and accidentally get hit on his raised hand. The other thing you may notice is that when the snapjaws are at the top of the structure waiting to decide which chain to take down they will move at a slow or fast mode (sometimes they freeze). If you notice one go into fast mode, be careful, because they are probably going to make their decision faster to go down a chain. Hope this helps. Oh, and yeah save-states help, but be sure to play full games often to put everything you learn together.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 03:02:25 pm »
yes at this point Im just getting frustrated as I have a great going then boom chain stage deaths after chain death wreck my good momentum I could care less about scoring on those boards just surviving would be great to keep my game going. Im very comfortable on vines and hideout. spring is good not great and chains is awful right now. Infact I feel like I was better at them a few weeks ago. LOL but so it goes. Thanks Mark. will look into OBS soon I want to get more of my mame stuff out there too

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:39 pm »
For me the key is having a general pattern or approach. For example, in my million game on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77OicfiR9i0

I basically do what mark said, try to push that left key all the way up and ignore the left fruit. The reason why I try to do everything the same each time because it creates familiarity. I also put together some ideas for level three blue chains here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokd_ye9_3w

There are other patterns that can be used which I am working on now and will probably put together a level 4+ blue change video of different patterns - not all inclusive just ones I have seen. But if you stick to what I do on my million game that will be sufficient.

Use the lowest bird to test your height and hold on a chain with both hands and wait for your opportunity. Have you watched the Christer game yet?

Once again, find one approach and try to stick with it, push through the same openings in the birds, hit the birds on the right with fruit the same way, at the same time. Click through my game, watch the level 4 blue chains and then practice that pattern with save states over and over. Do the same thing every time. Even in my 1.27 game I did little variation to my mainline. I will be adding more for my 1.3+ attempts. But for now, one thing.

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:38 am »
Just submitted my 279800 point Jr. game, I'd like to thanks marky_d and DKG for all there help and suggestions. I lost three lives on the chains. and lost the last life horribly by jumping to early to kill the problem spark on the hideout. It would of been a 300K game :'(. Thanks to all
DKJR
Tony

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »
I just had the game of my life I died on 12-4 I just pushed to hard trying to get to top the top in time. Grrrr.
I scored 300K on my last man lost every man on a chain stage. I put up 484,800. I just kept running it felt great, I wish I was streaming or recording. So my next goal is to download the streaming and saving software Corey and Mark told me about. Well I hope to have 500K by the end of summer. Thanks everyone, I will attach a pic I took of my cab it has a save kit on it. And I won't remove it so most likely if I put up a big score for submission it will need to be on MAME.
Cheers,
Tony

Drunkguy89

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »
Good job mate

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will attach a pic I took of my cab it has a save kit on it.

For easier viewing, I've rotated and resized Tony's attached image.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:44 pm »
Nice work! You should hit 500k before the summer.

Offline DKJR

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28:47 pm »
Been playing everyday and can't catch that fever I had a week ago or so.... 400ks I play one game or more a day to stay in the groove. my games have been 251k 279k 285k 179k and something else that can't be spoken of LOL. I have adopted Coreys pattern for the chains from the forum and it is really helped my game. I can't decide if running boards or pressing is better at the moment I only press on the hideout the left edge version nothing fancy. some times Ill press on the vines but usually chicken out after level 4 or 5. I only press on the right hand side I can't get the pressing on the left hand side on the snapjaws down I just die. Not really sure what the break down on the "real" point gain is for those boards vs. just running them, any input or suggestions to my game would be great. I'll try and cast some again soon.
Cheers