Author Topic: I came up with a Donkey Kong hack idea  (Read 804 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I came up with a Donkey Kong hack idea
« on: March 24, 2024, 08:56:08 pm »
Why not have a hack that removes the graphics of Mario and his enemies and put a black box where the hit box exactly is?
So, instead of jumping over barrels and Firefoxes, you jump over hit boxes?

In fact, you can have black box hit boxes for all video games.  It doesn't need to stop at Donkey Kong  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: I came up with a Donkey Kong hack idea
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 09:47:29 am »
Ethan/f_symmbols suggested exactly this a few years ago and it's been percolating in my head as a possible thing I could do ever since then.

It would certainly be neat, interesting and useful for such a thing to exist.

Technically speaking, it would be more complicated than a simple graphics swap because the sizes/shapes of some of the hitbox ranges wouldn't necessarily be constant or fit inside the tiles of the character/sprite data - so it would require some... calculated reprogramming but it would certainly be something that is possible to do.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 05:29:18 am »
Two years ago I started a romhack like that, but never continued. Mainly because I wasn't absolutely sure that I got the hitboxes right. But when you play it, it seems they are right.

I did simple adjustments of the sprites to display the hitboxes. I do not remember hitboxes that were bigger than the sprite boundaries, but I might be mistaken. And, sock master, maybe you can explain what you mean by hitbox ranges not being constant.

I created two prototype versions. The first one only displays the hitboxes. The other one displays the hitboxes and the outline of the original sprite. I will provide both versions in the next messages.

[The top displays DUEL, because I took a template versioon of that romhack as basis for this one]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:33:14 am by PaulGoes »
Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 05:30:21 am »
The version with the hitboxes only.
Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 05:31:10 am »
The version with the hitboxes and the sprite outline.
Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 05:56:33 am »
Just played with it a little and find the barrels funny. Only such a small hitbox, they look less intimidating in their hitbox shape. The hitbox difference between fireballs and firefoxes is also interesting. Most people think they are the same, but they are not.

I also noticed the wobbling up and down of the fireballs and firefoxes. So there is a difference between the actual Y-position (that the code uses) and the sprite Y-position (that is displayed). That might have impact (code hitbox is slightly different from sprite hitbox)? Is that what you meant sock master?

Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 06:05:14 am »
OMG I looked above the unlit oil can on the barrel stage and thought there was dust on my monitor. But there are actually two pixels that make up the hitbox that makes you die when you jump there.  ;D

And I noticed something that I cannot explain. These two pixels are also seen at the top left of the rivets stage, a little between the umbrella and the top left rivet. I do not know why it is there. I guess that that is the same sprite that is also used above the oil can. But why is it there?  And then when playing the pies board I see those pixels again, about the same spot, but they move left and right just like DK does. It looks like that that sprite (originally a blank one) is somehow drawn as part of DK? But why?  :-/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:54:28 am by PaulGoes »
Member for 5 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 06:34:45 pm »
why is the hitbox confined to a small space , why can't the rest of the screen be used , is it hardware related :)

Member for 2 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 06:36:12 pm »
To make a new hitbox is a complicated thing? or just not possible without dismantling the code? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:39:34 pm by jammvyy »
Member for 2 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 06:46:55 pm »
Sock Master
Technically speaking, it would be more complicated than a simple graphics swap because the sizes/shapes of some of the hitbox ranges wouldn't necessarily be constant or fit inside the tiles of the character/sprite data - so it would require some... calculated reprogramming but it would certainly be something that is possible to do.
[/quote] 
  Never mind me :)
if i win the lotto i can hire people to work chain to there desk (contract) to ad a new character :)

Member for 2 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 07:08:27 pm »
And I noticed something that I cannot explain. These two pixels are also seen at the top left of the rivets stage, a little between the umbrella and the top left rivet. I do not know why it is there. I guess that that is the same sprite that is also used above the oil can. But why is it there?  And then when playing the pies board I see those pixels again, about the same spot, but they move left and right just like DK does. It looks like that that sprite (originally a blank one) is somehow drawn as part of DK? But why?  :-/

It's the 'blank' sprite and the code sometimes uses it as 'display nothing'.  Notably the oil fire before its lit but also in DK's sprites.  The game reserves 10 sprites for DK, but not all 10 are always needed.  When DK is in a pose that has fewer sprites, the extra sprite slots still display but using 'blank' and they have junk X/Y coordinates so they display somewhere off in space.  When DK moves, the junk coordinates also move along with DK.

Maybe I was thinking more about DK Junior when I mentioned inconsistent hitboxes.  That happens a lot in DK Junior, even to the extent that some hitboxes change over time and some sparks in Mario's Hideout even have different hitboxes than the other sparks.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 11:24:53 pm »
It's the 'blank' sprite and the code sometimes uses it as 'display nothing'.  Notably the oil fire before its lit but also in DK's sprites.  The game reserves 10 sprites for DK, but not all 10 are always needed.  When DK is in a pose that has fewer sprites, the extra sprite slots still display but using 'blank' and they have junk X/Y coordinates so they display somewhere off in space.  When DK moves, the junk coordinates also move along with DK.

That explains it. Thanks.
Member for 5 Years

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 03:47:57 am »
Thanks John , It can imagine it being a tedious job :)
Member for 2 Years