Author Topic: Mr. Donkey Blog  (Read 63456 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Mr. Donkey Blog
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
The good thing about my record is that even though Hank, Dean, Vincent (etc.) could beat it, it would take like 8 hours, so it would be a boring, pointless, pain in the ass to beat.

Feeling pretty good about this one.  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:21 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/c/2880632

Opinions: is there a way out of this?

EDIT: I played through the inp and made a savestate right when I get on the ladder, to see if I could survive a YOLO. Check if out, especially if you like stammering: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/c/2880923

tl;dw: I was right to wait on the ladder, as I did in the actual run. Waiting opens up the piemageddon Pandora's Box, but the risk of just YOLOing onto the conveyor, with the fireballs where they are, is most definitely a "could be dead" because the fireballs have the drop on me and can decide to break right, and they've got me if they do. Best not to jump into CBDs if you can help it, even if you do have to face Pandora's Box! I like my chances much, much better waiting them out, as opposed to just going for it on the conveyor and hoping it turns out okay. At the time I started up the ladder, the situation wasn't dangerous yet, let alone desperate, so no need to insist on a super-risky free pass.

When I assert that DK is not marathonable, this screen is what I'm talking about...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:14:07 am by ChrisP »

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2013, 10:00:38 pm »
So, this MIGHT suck.

I ordered a custom Donkey Blog t-shirt from CafePress on October 30th. It was shipped on 11/2, which is fine, but the estimated delivery (via FedEx) is 11/15. Obviously I'll be in Denver by then.

Apparently FedEx delivers by horse and buggy (and it's one horse). For almost $40 altogether, I would expect that this could be delivered to me in some amount of time less than half a month, but I was naive.

I'm hoping they're just being safe with that delivery date...

Otherwise I guess my option is to print the logo out on a piece of paper and tape it to a black t-shirt??
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:36:29 pm by ChrisP »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55:01 am »
I wouldn't worry Chris.  If it eases your nerves at all, I ordered a shirt from them also...and the est delivery date was like 2 weeks from the day I ordered it...but it arrived in like 3 or 4 days from what I remember...so you should be fine hopefully.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 02:09:17 pm »
I think it SHOULD be coming tomorrow or Wednesday, based on what I see on the tracking thing. They handed it off to the USPS and it is on the way to my local post office now.

But Veteran's Day is not helping.

I'm curious to see how many people are going to show up with custom shirts!

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »

I know of four so far (you, me, Corey, Jeff H). Hope you'll let me swap with you.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »

I know of four so far (you, me, Corey, Jeff H). Hope you'll let me swap with you.

Count me in...
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »

Opinions: is there a way out of this?

I like my chances much, much better waiting them out, as opposed to just going for it on the conveyor and hoping it turns out okay.

I'm a bit late chiming in on this clip, but I just had a chance to check it out.  I agree, this is a tough spot on the conveyor screen, and you were correct not to proceed up onto the conveyor right away due to the timing of how fast the fireballs made it down onto the conveyor.

A couple of things I might have done slightly differently -- first, I'll sometimes try to be slightly "aggressive" about trying to hang out on the top rung of that ladder just a hair longer, trying to wait for that pie to clear and watching to see if the fireballs move out of the way to try for a "delayed free pass" or even a "delayed hammer grab" depending on the situation.  Although, in this case I probably would not have done that.

Once retreating back to the bottom, in this particular case I probably would not have drifted towards the bottom right corner like what happens in the video for pretty much the exact reason that happens.  I know that might seem a bit results-oriented, and maybe it is, but I think I would tend to try moving a step or two to the left to about where the purse is to leave myself with more options.  When this sort of thing happens, you really do have to quickly take inventory of which direction the conveyor is moving and whether or not it is going to switch directions soon (take a quick peek up to Kong's position and direction of motion).  What you want to try to do is to plan an escape where the direction of the conveyor will be helping you instead of hindering you as in the case of what happened here.  This can be a little counterintuitive in cases like this where there are two fireballs on the left side, but in a way you sort of want to be working your way to the left here.

One of the things you can try to look for visually happens right at the beginning of the sequence at around 0:10 into your clip, right around the time that you reach the bottom of the ladder.  The rightmost fireball on the bottom conveyor, moving towards the right, passes beyond the top of the left inner bottom ladder.  For me, again somewhat counterintuitively, this is often a trigger for me to begin moving to the left from Jumpman's current position.  The position of the 2nd fireball complicates this decision considerably in this case since it could potentially continue to the right and down the left inner bottom ladder.  Because of this, I'd probably be just inching a small amount to the left, near to where the purse was located until something changes.  But, the first fireball passing beyond that spot is significant due to some of the subtle fireball behavior tendencies in the game.  First, fireballs move faster to the right than they do to the left.  Second, fireballs climb ladders while moving to the right, but not while moving to the left (unless they just rebounded off of an edge).  So, the likelihood of that fireball doubling back and decending down that left inner bottom ladder has significantly reduced, while the possibility of continuing to the right half of the screen and eventually decending either of the right side bottom ladders has raised.  IF the fireball movements were exactly as seen in this clip (which of course they wouldn't be as soon as game inputs are changed), I could see myself possibly climbing up the far left bottom ladder at around 0:19 and then possibly escaping from there.  It would go about like this:

0:09 -- begin climbing the ladder.  See the fireballs decending towards the conveyor and the pie coming out, preparing to climb back down if the fireballs don't do something very favorable right away.

Next, a 3rd fireball drops into the middle structure making any chance for a free pass much more risky.  Begin climbing back down.

0:10 -- Fireballs reverse and begin moving to the right.  Climb to the bottom of the ladder and wait.

0:11 -- One fireball has crossed over the top of the left inner bottom ladder.  Take a quick step left.  Watch the OTHER fireball.

Next, both fireballs are moving left and have moved back to the left of the top of the left inner bottom ladder.  Go back to the right and prepare to begin climbing the same ladder again.

0:12 -- The fireballs are splitting.  One has again moved right of the top of the left inner bottom ladder and the other has gone left toward the edge of the screen.  Move left to the center of the screen and begin to evaluate the possibility of climbing up the left inner bottom ladder between the two fireballs -- the presence of two MORE fireballs on the center structure near the left side prize need to be watched very carefully now.

0:13 -- The fireball has moved left again -- "Mirror" this by moving right again, looking to climb up the right inner bottom ladder.  Again, watch the two OTHER fireballs above.

0:14 -- Similar situation to 0:12 in that the fireballs are splitting again.  However, this situation is actually somewhat improved due to the OTHER two fireballs moving to the right side of the center structure.  Again, move left to the center of the screen, anticipating starting up the left inner bottom ladder.  Note that the direction of the conveyor is now reversing.

0:15 -- Unfortunately, the fireball is drifting back to the left and so we must move back towards the right to somewhere around the position of the prize again.  The location of the 3rd fireball up on the center structure is problematic again.

Next, that 3rd fireball is decending to the conveyor.  This is now a huge problem and chances of survival are low.  It's time for a split second decision.  Based on the position of the three fireballs, it would appear that bailing out to the right corner is now preferable -- however, with the conveyor moving in that direction and the tendency of fireballs to drift to the right, that could be just as dangerous as all of our other (poor) options.  Believe it or not, we CAN justify running LEFT at this juncture.  Let's assume we decide to run left again, at least to the center of the screen to leave our options open for as long as possible.

0:16 -- Still inching left, hoping that middle fireball doesn't climb down the left inner bottom ladder right now.

0:17 -- Luckily, the fireball has passed over the ladder and has joined up with the 3rd fireball centrally.  At this point I am now running left, beyond the inner ladder and towards the outer ladder.

0:18 -- A lucky break, two fireballs decend the two inner ladders just as we begin climbing up the left outer bottom ladder.

0:19 -- Another pie comes out, delaying our ascent.  While waiting for the pie to pass, a quick check up to Kong's position shows us that we should have enough time to drift to the left side center structure ladder before the next reversal if we are not delayed any further.  The third fireball, which could have caused problems from it's position on the conveyor towards the right side of the screen, has just reversed back to the right.  It could still get us from there, but the chances are low and it's time to get aggressive and go for the escape.

0:20 -- We have reached the conveyor just behind a pie.  The fireballs have now caused a new interesting puzzle.  We are getting chased from behind so there's no going back down.  The 3rd fireball is now going back UP the right side of the center structure, which could potentially hinder our escape up the left side.  We need to quickly think of a Plan B, just in case.  We can now try to work our way to the hammer.  Notice that the fireball climbing up the far right side back up to the conveyor level could beat us to that position, especially if we have to deal with the reversal before we get there.  We can also prepare ourselves to climb back DOWN the left inner bottom ladder, again, being mindful of the pies during the reversal.

0:21 -- Gameplay ends here so it's unclear what could have happened from there.  Given all of the choices, I'd probably risk climbing up the left side center structure ladder at this point and hope for the best.

Anyways, even though we think of these sorts of situations as "screwings", these are the sorts of puzzles that the game presents us with that make it both fun and challenging -- the replay value is very high due to these sorts of scenarios.  The key when something like this happens is to not panic and immediately have a positive attitude that you WILL make it through the screen and begin to work on finding the "best" solution.  Based on both knowledge and experience it is possible to get a better "feel" for how to deal with these situations and players should actively take each opportunity that something like this comes up to work on improving their game instead of just giving up.

When a "survival" situation like this comes up, the "best" solution is the one that constantly gives the player the highest probability of survival.  Probabilities are constantly at play in this game.  There are certain probabilities for a fireball to reverse at a reversal point, to climb down a ladder in a given situation, for a fireball to travel a certain distance (skipping over some number of decision points), and so on.  It's important to execute the maneuver that gives the player the best probability for survival right up until the end.

I see deaths occur all of the time when panic at the last moment prevents the player from making the "best" decision.  Suppose a fireball is chasing you and you continue running and you steer a barrel right down onto your head.  Well, let's think, if you had simply stopped just before the ladder, there might be a 50% chance that the fireball will reverse before getting to you (assuming it has to cross a decision point) -- and yet by steering a barrel into your face you have a 75% chance of death.  Or, you could jump towards the ladder and let go of the controls, perhaps getting yourself to another decision point for that fireball so now it has 2 chances to reverse and let you off the hook -- but at the same time you've now introduced a 25% chance that the barrel comes down the ladder on its own and kills you.  Or, you could try turning around and jumping over the fireball -- which has some other survival rate in that given situation.  In moments like that when there is no 100% survival solution, it's important to avoid panic and continue to find the "best" solution during that split second when it still matters what you do.

Pie factory and rivet situations are often like this, only more complex.  The "best" solution is usually less clear and open for debate.  But screwings DO become less deadly with more experience so it is clear that some solutions are indeed better than others, even if we don't always know what they are.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Winner of a community event Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2014, 03:56:17 am »
Well, here's my most exciting play of the tournament so far. I don't think it's gonna get any better than this:
http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/c/3773156

Also, later in the day I taunted the shoutbox, and it delivered swift and severe punishment:
http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/c/3773112

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »
Also, later in the day I taunted the shoutbox, and it delivered swift and severe punishment:
http://www.twitch.tv/chrisp_kreme/c/3773112

Shoutboxing yourself is hardcore.  Shoutpuku.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2014, 02:20:21 am »
(Moved from another thread, where I realized it didn't belong)

It's part of a bigger train of thought, but I'm actually pretty firmly "anti-growth" when it comes to CAG/DK. I don't think it would work at a significantly larger size, and the social aspect would suffer.

A few new players here and there are always welcome, but actual, serious, exponential growth would break it. Competitive classic arcade gaming is not scalable.

The classic gaming community survives and is awesome *because* it's small. At a couple hundred participants, we're still hovering in the range of "Dunbar's number", meaning that everybody knows everybody, and how they relate to everybody else. There's an intimacy and a personality to it that you just don't get in bigger arenas.

If you get too many big scores on the board, a big score itself starts to become kind of meaningless. Imagine a DK scoreboard where 70th place is 1,107,300 and 71st is 1,107,200, and it's two guys who've never even spoken to each other. Does the idea of that kind of huge, impersonal competition pool make anyone else say "yuck?"

Or imagine how much different (and not-as-good) Allen's stream would be if it had hundreds of viewers and as much chat as one of the big Twitch channels. The whole appeal is that it's the same two dozen or so regulars, the majority of whom know each other, hanging out together and having some laughs.

I would say that the size of competitive CAG is just about optimal, right where it is, because it allows for an actual community - that is, a group where almost every individual is meaningfully interlinked. If it gets much bigger, it loses that. I don't wanna lose that. Especially since I don't see any benefit.

Luckily I think CAG will stay about this size, because if the hobby were ever going to become exponentially more popular, it would have already happened (if our bi-annual documentaries and jillions of news clips, articles, L33t Lounge streams, and everything else hasn't been able to do it, what will?)

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 02:47:34 am »
I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Exponential growth already happened with KoK.  I have no idea what would have to happen to cause that to happen again but it's just not likely.  There's nothing wrong with a niche hobby being niche.  The people who want to turn it into a mainstream thing with profitable businesses around it are just delusional as far as I'm concerned. 

With that said I think the hobby could still be improved so the people involved can have more fun and get more out of it:

- Having more and varied competitions both live and online
- Have a professional scoreboard that is relevant and accepted by the members of the community
- Have more unbiased, correct historical data online to attract new members to the community

I'd love to see something like a "Circuit" of events taking place on an annual basis where players earn points towards an annual championship.  If we could elevate the competition side of the hobby like pinball has it http://papa.org/circuit-2013-14/standings/ then I think we'd get more people involved in the community instead of just sticking to themselves in their basement.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2014, 04:54:34 am »

I'd love to see something like a "Circuit" of events taking place on an annual basis where players earn points towards an annual championship.  If we could elevate the competition side of the hobby like pinball has it http://papa.org/circuit-2013-14/standings/ then I think we'd get more people involved in the community instead of just sticking to themselves in their basement.

I remember Richie talking about how he wanted to do this with TG before it got to the point where it is at now.  I think when Barcade had their tourney back in March of 2013, that was going to be the first leg of the tour counting towards a year end event like the points system you mention.  It never materialized though which is a shame.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-world-record-robbie-lakeman-finally.html

Sweet, I did it!

Being the one to break a "new world champion" announcement was the last big item on my Donkey Blog bucket list, and I was able to make it happen thanks to Robbie and Hank making sure I had first crack at the news. This was a lot of fun, I appreciate it.

I was away from the computer all day Friday, then came home and realized what was going on. I stayed up writing my blog post and as soon as it was up I informed Kotaku. I would have gone to "plan B" if they were unresponsive, but I figured that they'd run something, and that if they did, it would spread from there. Looks like that strategy worked. :D

Not that this needed my help. It really doesn't take some special talent or connections or "status" to get something like this moving through the gaming news sites. If it's cool, tip it off, and it'll pretty much take care of itself from there. Anybody can do it.

The blog post wasn't all that it could have been and was lacking in detail. There's more I would have liked to do (visually in particular, but dicking around with things in Photoshop takes forever). I was under mega time pressure and very tired. It got the job done!

For those who would question announcing a new world record before any due diligence had been performed on the score, I'd say this: we're now in the age of streaming and Facebook. You really can't wait for an authenticating body to verify a score anymore. Unless the player keeps it on total lockdown and it's known to only him and the ref, the word will be on the street long before the score becomes "official," so you might as well get it out there. (Allen was already newsflashing this one before the replay was even half over! FailFish)

I will be compiling a list of all the Robbie coverage (though I think Corey might already be doing that?)

Perhaps Robbie will get more substantial face-time in something in the coming weeks. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath though, since this is the era of "copy/paste and slightly rewrite what everyone else is posting, no time for depth because everybody just skims now anyway". We'll see if this catches the right person's eye at the right time, but you never know. Wait and see.

Ultimately, I think most of us with our priorities straight are on the same page that any media attention is just icing on the classic gaming cake. Kind of a thrill for a few minutes, but the community, and all the things that come with it, are about 10,000x more gratifying and fun and lasting than any of that ever ends up being. :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:10:01 pm by ChrisP »

lakeman421

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »
Im glad it worked out the way it did.  When Hank and I talked we concluded that it was different since TG wasn't accepting submissions and we wanted to get it out there.  So we agreed to keep silent and replay the game later that day.  And we wanted you to be the first to report it since you deserve it.  It was a long day, I barely slept, and i had to work that evening.  The TV set up was a quick thing i threw together and figured it would be enough to get people hyped up.  Even if it was  <Billy> VHS quality.  I was worried that you were going to miss it and i was telling everyone to contact you right away lol.  Seeing my name and face in these articles has been crazy for me I've barely left my computer trying to keep up with everything and it looks like its starting to slow down.  There is some potential to be on the local news here in AZ and if anything happens with that I'll post it.  Hank was on FOX and other stations because they are local to him, so we will see where the story goes.  Im going to Richies next weekend for his KOA premiere and it could be my only public appearance as the current record holder so I'm just going to enjoy it and see what happens afterwards.  Thank you all again for being supportive.  I just finished typing for an article for the International Business Times and made sure to promote DKF and the community.  Hopefully that will be included after they edit it and it will gain some more interest to newcomers.