Author Topic: "Fixing" DKjr  (Read 33765 times)

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
Re: "Fixing" DKjr
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2024, 05:04:00 pm »
"Sometimes there was code where I can see the intended functionality, even if it doesn't actually *work*.  Stuff like the level 1 vines screen supposed to have 3 red snapjaws, level 2 is supposed to have 4 red snapjaws, level 3+ have 5...  Well, 4 never happens because the routine that does the check happens to trash the value of the registers it's testing...  Anyway, so in cases like that, I tried to implement their intention."

This is so... I'm not sure what it is. I must have grown up in an alternate reality.

Forever, I have sworn that I played the game where after L3, there were two red snapjaws on the right side vines of the Jungles. Two snapjaws that covered the verticals and the small platform on the far right of the screen. I actually had a picture of the Jungle board, that I'd drawn in 5th grade, and I included both of the red snapjaws on the far right side. Found that picture just a few years ago. It triggered the "memory" of playing this version.

Obviously, this is crazy and not possible. That being said, sometimes, my failing memory and false memories that my crazy brain sometimes creates these days are entertaining and possibly genius beyond my capabilities  ;D ;D ;D
Member for 4 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SuperNinbendo

• Benjamin Andrew
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2024, 03:07:59 am »
Hey Sock!

Do you still have the files for this fixed version? I can't seem to work out how to download the attachments from your previous comments.

Thanks!
Twitch Streamer New Member

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2024, 10:43:03 am »
Hey Sock!

Do you still have the files for this fixed version? I can't seem to work out how to download the attachments from your previous comments.

Thanks!

All the files attached in posts from before DKF's .com to .net transition vanished.  I don't even have all the files I posted but here is the last version of the DK Junior bugfixed rom that I made (October 21, 2016) before the project transitioned into the creation of DK Junior Remix.

I'm not sure exactly how many bug fixes there were but I do know that bug fixes continued and continued and continued during the development of DK Junior Remix because I just kept on finding more and more in the original code.

One notable one is the bug where you can pass through sparks in Mario's Hideout.  That bug is still present in this version of the rom because I only found that bug considerably later on.

Anyway, this is a fun ROM to try out.  Check it out, play for some time - everything will feel fine - everything will feel normal!   Then go back to playing the original version of DK Junior - and the issues in the original game start to stand out.

Just copy the dkongjre.zip file into MAME's roms directory and then start game "dkongjre".  You need to run MAME from the command prompt as the GUI version will balk at the modified ROM and exit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 10:45:02 am by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline SuperNinbendo

• Benjamin Andrew
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2024, 11:32:51 pm »
Hey Sock!

Thanks!

All the files attached in posts from before DKF's .com to .net transition vanished.  I don't even have all the files I posted but here is the last version of the DK Junior bugfixed rom that I made (October 21, 2016) before the project transitioned into the creation of DK Junior Remix.

I'm not sure exactly how many bug fixes there were but I do know that bug fixes continued and continued and continued during the development of DK Junior Remix because I just kept on finding more and more in the original code.

One notable one is the bug where you can pass through sparks in Mario's Hideout.  That bug is still present in this version of the rom because I only found that bug considerably later on.

Anyway, this is a fun ROM to try out.  Check it out, play for some time - everything will feel fine - everything will feel normal!   Then go back to playing the original version of DK Junior - and the issues in the original game start to stand out.

Just copy the dkongjre.zip file into MAME's roms directory and then start game "dkongjre".  You need to run MAME from the command prompt as the GUI version will balk at the modified ROM and exit.

Thank you sir! ;D You are indeed the Master of Socks! :D I really appreciate it.
Twitch Streamer New Member

Offline Robert

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2024, 06:36:08 pm »
Thank you from me too!
Member for 5 Years