Author Topic: DK Data Library of Memorable Games  (Read 175094 times)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DK Data Library of Memorable Games
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:25 am »
I was thinking of creating a similar spreadsheet to analyze my own games. I was wondering how do you figure the pace column? Do you have a formula you can share to determine the pace value?

Sure thing, Shawn.  Currently, I only calculate pace at the end of each completed level.  Is that suitable for your purpose, or would you prefer a calculation that can be used after each individual stage?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:56 am »

Hey Shawn,

Let's start with the pace calculation at the end of a completed level, since it's the simplest model.  If you require a more flexible formula, one that can be used at any point in the game, I'll build one.

There are only 3 components to the overall pace value:

1.  Current Score (actual)
2.  Future Levels (estimated)
3.  Future Deaths (estimated)

We'll use Dean's recent WR game as our example (at the end of Level 14):

1.  Current Score = 759,300

The current score includes the 5,800 points gained from the 2 deaths on L8-2 (2,900) and L8-4 (2,900).

2.  Future Levels = 427,840

This value is calculated by taking the average score per level (points from deaths are not included) and multiplying by the number of remaining levels.

Level 05:   
Level 06:   
Level 07:   
Level 08:   
Level 09:   
Level 10:   
Level 11:   
Level 12:   
Level 13:   
Level 14:   

Total Points Excluding Deaths (L05 to L14):   
Number of Levels Completed (L05 to L14):   
Number of Levels Remaining (L15 to L21):   

So, estimated score on future levels = 7 x ( 611,200 / 10 ) = 427,840

3.  Future Deaths = 5,700

I use a standard value of 5,000 for the first 3 deaths, and 700 for the killscreen.  There are other approaches.  Mitch uses 5,000 until the first death has occurred.  He then uses the points from death #1 as an estimate for the second and third deaths.  After the second death, the average points from deaths #1 and #2 are used to estimate the 3rd death.  I prefer to stick with the standard value, since I'm not convinced that previous deaths are a reliable predictor for future ones.  You should use whatever value and/or method works best for you.

In our example, 2 deaths have already occurred.  We'll use 5,000 for the 3rd death, and 700 for the 4th (on Level 22-1).

So, estimated points from future deaths = 5,000 + 700 = 5,700

Overall Pace (without rounding) = 759,300 + 427,840 + 5,700 = 1,192,840

As a final step, I divide the result by 100, round to 0 decimal places, then multiply by 100 (since a valid DK score must be an even multiple of 100 points).

Overall Pace (rounded to nearest 100) = 1,192,800

The rounding option is a matter of personal preference.  It's another choice that's entirely up to you.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 11:16:05 am »

Player

Score

Final Stage

Date Achieved

Platform
Dean Saglio

Level 22-1

10/04/2013

MAME

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:16:04 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 11:30:51 am »
Scott is already on it! Awesome!
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 01:48:50 pm »
I haven't used it yet, but I did find this online pace program:

http://www.alexwgold.com/dk/

Yes, that's the web application that Mitch and his friend Alex have been developing.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »
I believe I have the oldest HS DK Game still on vhs...availible for public view.....this is the same  one that Seth Gordan said was constantly disputed and impossible to verify.

The score is 879,200 with a kill screen played on 8/16/2000 confimed and verified with a witness at the end who can clearly be heard off camera.

However, even though I can prove that the producers of KOK intentionaly lied and made a fake DOC under false pretenses  by supplying not only video evidence but also a witness matters not. These people got the connections, money and what they say goes.

I even went so far as to call a division of WB studio who handles the KOK  and asked them why they  made a documentary about my subject material without my authorization and when can I expect my check like the other people received.

At this point thier friendly demeanor turned defensive and this is the response I got (I'm paraphrasing a little)" our studio fully stands by our decision and KOK is a legitimate DOC "

I replied "ya think so?

Then I gave them the link to The King of Con, the counter DOC by Dwayne Richards that is based on facts unlike the rubbish DOC Seth Gordon put together so his pal Steve and a few select insiders like Billy Walter and Steve Saunders could turn a buck.

I keep offering to show old VHS this to any event that is held but people like the denial better
I really want Steve Wiebie and Seth Gordon to watch it.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:44 pm »
Tim, bring it to the Kong Off 3 and we can all watch it! Seriously, I'd be interested in watching that piece of history!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 09:56:32 pm »
Tim are you coming to Kong Off 3?  I think there are a lot of people who would be interested in meeting you.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 05:12:11 am »
I think you should do like Roy Schildt last year and come to the Kong Off 3. Play in the Wild Card division and make a revenge on Billy and beat him to a pulp, then you will walk away in satisfaction  ;).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »
Tim, bring it to the Kong Off 3 and we can all watch it! Seriously, I'd be interested in watching that piece of history!

I cant afford to travel to these things but I will see about streaming it..not that it would matter.

As far as the actual machine it was set on 8/16/2000, Greg Sakundiak of Canada now owns that piece of gaming history.

So these arcade collecting  chumps that want to spend big bucks buying Steve original machine "thinking"  it was the game that "first" broke Billys 1982 record are really  just wasting thier money as far as a historical context and documentation goes.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 01:39:08 am »

I cant afford to travel to these things but I will see about streaming it..not that it would matter.

It matters to me.

Hey Tim, if you stream that game (and if the video quality is good enough that I can read the score after each stage), would you object to the summary and stats being posted here?  I think it would be a great addition to this thread.

I always request permission, as a courtesy to each player, so it's your call.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:24 am »

It matters to me.

Hey Tim, if you stream that game (and if the video quality is good enough that I can read the score after each stage), would you object to the summary and stats being posted here?  I think it would be a great addition to this thread.

But wait a minute..............Seth Gordan, famed researcher/ producer of such documentaries as   KOK said there was "no way" to verify this very  game I'm talking about and besides..it was constantly disputed remember?             Do you think actually, for one minute that the  good hearted, Honest hollywood movie scammers...........er.....I mean "producers" of KOK  would actually lie to you.? Do you really think the good people at TG would allow an official score on thier "Official" scoreboard" to be  covered up so others could profit?

Do you think Steve Wiebe would lie to you? Why even the Wikipedia artical, Wikipedia, the all knowing oracal of things true states this very game I played was merely just a "claim" How dare you not believe the media propaganda ;)

Really ,I'm just being sarcastic here......;)

you could probably guess that.........  I mean no disrespect to you Stella_blue :).....and thanks for asking :)

I'll see what I can do about broadcasting that 8/16/2000 game but here's what I remember:

The begining of the tape (1st 30 seconds) are kind of scratchy but still  clear (tape probably stretched no doubt from constant re-winding as I used the same tape on many,many tries.)

I basically just ran boards....I did not use the bottom hammer on the barrel boards.

My spring boards were not as efficent time wise as they are now.

I was on L=21-6 with one man left and knew the kill screen was the next board L=22. I knew if I cleared L=21-6 I would come just shy of beating Billys 1982 score. So I intentionally died on L=21-6 and used the extra man I had left to get those extra points I nedded and I did. Point pressing in its infancy I guess.

Let me see about broadcasting it.   It will just expose Seth Gordan and Ed Cuntingham once and for all as liars that knowingly and with malice of forethought made a fraudulant DOC based on an accomplishment I did 3 years before Steve Wiebe.

I will also just bolster more interest in Dwayne Richards DOC and give Dwayne's DOC that much more credibility that it deserves.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 04:50:57 am »

you could probably guess that.........  I mean no disrespect to you Stella_blue :).....and thanks for asking :)

No misunderstanding here.  Since its last tune-up, my sarcasm detector has been working flawlessly.   ;)

So, assuming you broadcast that 08/16/2000 game, might I compile the game summary with your blessing?  It's obviously not representative of your current skill level, but it was (and still is) a memorable game that merits inclusion here.  Also, it will allow me (and this is the selfish part) to produce a historical DK document that isn't available anywhere else.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:57 am »

It matters to me.

But wait a minute..............Seth Gordan, famed researcher/ producer of such documentaries as   KOK said there was "no way" to verify this very  game I'm talking about and besides..it was constantly disputed remember?             Do you think actually, for one minute that the  good hearted, Honest hollywood movie scammers...........er.....I mean "producers" of KOK  would actually lie to you.? Do you really think the good people at TG would allow an official score on thier "Official" scoreboard" to be  covered up so others could profit?

Do you think Steve Wiebe would lie to you? Why even the Wikipedia artical, Wikipedia, the all knowing oracal of things true states this very game I played was merely just a "claim" How dare you not believe the media propaganda ;)

I'll see what I can do about broadcasting that 8/16/2000 game but here's what I remember:

The begining of the tape (1st 30 seconds) are kind of scratchy but still  clear (tape probably stretched no doubt from constant re-winding as I used the same tape on many,many tries.)

I basically just ran boards....I did not use the bottom hammer on the barrel boards.

My spring boards were not as efficent time wise as they are now.

I was on L=21-6 with one man left and knew the kill screen was the next board L=22. I knew if I cleared L=21-6 I would come just shy of beating Billys 1982 score. So I intentionally died on L=21-6 and used the extra man I had left to get those extra points I nedded and I did. Point pressing in its infancy I guess.

Let me see about broadcasting it.   It will just expose Seth Gordan and Ed Cuntingham once and for all as liars that knowingly and with malice of forethought made a fraudulant DOC based on an accomplishment I did 3 years before Steve Wiebe.

I will also just bolster more interest in Dwayne Richards DOC and give Dwayne's DOC that much more credibility that it deserves.

Tim,

First of all, I would love to watch this.  Second of all, it's pretty cool that you sac'd a man on 21-6.  A few of us had discussed actually taking a "suicidal top hammer" on 21-6, if it meant increasing points (in leu of a trip to 22-1); I know this isn't quite the same tactic, but it's really freaking cool to see that you were using something like this way back in 2000, without any help from the "communal knowledge base".   I also lost a 3rd man on 21-6, but it wasn't a sac. 

It's pretty cool to learn that the WR score that took down billy had a sac'd man on level 21.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 02:38:19 am »
I've been wanting to see this game!  Please make an announcement on the forums when you're ready to broadcast, Tim!  I so want to see the game that took Billy Mitchell's score down!

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger