Author Topic: Killscreen on Nintendo Switch verification?  (Read 4690 times)

ost

Killscreen on Nintendo Switch verification?
« on: February 25, 2023, 12:37:35 am »
If one were to make a killscreen on a Nintendo Switch using an 8bitdo Arcade Stick with a 4-way joystick, is there any way to get that killscreen verified and accepted as an official killscreen?

And if so, what is the procedure after making the killscreen in regards to getting all the info needed for verification?

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
Re: Killscreen on Nintendo Switch verification?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 08:48:27 am »
DKF currently does not accept scores done on Arcade Archives Donkey Kong.
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

ost

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 06:09:05 am »
Thanks for the answer.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 11:57:11 pm »
It is not out of the realm possibility for Switch scores to eventually be accepted here. I think the main issue is we don't know exactly what's going on under the hood. It seems like most players feel the emulation is accurate, but I think a more objective approach would be needed. And, of course, the joystick/evidence requirements would need some serious hashing out. But don't be discouraged. We don't accept them now, but there's no reason to not have a good conversation about it.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline wc

• Tech Help
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 09:05:32 am »
I am going to do some digging on finding out more details about how the emulation for the Switch version of the game works.

To help this conversation continue along - what are some of the nuanced points that need to be hashed out?
Member for 2 Years CK Killscreener Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Masters - Rank C DK 1.2M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DKJR Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder DK 1.1M First Man Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1M First Man DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 06:58:34 pm »
If one were to make a killscreen on a Nintendo Switch using an 8bitdo Arcade Stick with a 4-way joystick, is there any way to get that killscreen verified and accepted as an official killscreen?

And if so, what is the procedure after making the killscreen in regards to getting all the info needed for verification?

@OST - Even a crappy laptop or PC should be enough to run the MAME version of DK, which IS accepted here.  You can even use your 8bitdo stick! Those things rock by the way!  Just make sure that if you go the MAME & PC route, you read the rules for the submissions!

Looking forward to seeing you crush some DK, and get on Twitch and added to the streamers list.  It's awesome watching people's progression!
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 11:04:35 am »
I think switch scores should be listed maybe in there own score board... I know there is a score board on the switch.  Would make things more interesting .
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

http://www.twitch.tv/simpsons99
You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline wc

• Tech Help
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 06:39:32 am »
Hi everyone,

One of our friends in Japan has relayed information from an acquaintance at HAMSTER, the developer for Donkey Kong on the Nintendo Switch.

All arcade archives titles developed by HAMSTER are working with custom emulation originally developed in-house. So it's not a MAME derivative or using core or anything like that.

The details of the program are also confidential matters for development, so we apologize that we cannot share much information.

HAMSTER and HAMSTERs President are happy to see Arcade Archives Donkey Kong being discussed on Donkey Kong Forum.

He also said that he would be honored if the Arcade Archives score was recognized by the forum and its members.

If you have any questions, we will do our best to provide as much information as possible.

Arcade Archives Donkey Kong implements 3 versions of the ROM set, and some of ROMs in [Japan later Version] ROM set probably differ from the data dumped on MAME (Japan set 1). International Version (US set 1) and Japan early version (Japan set 3) are same data as the MAME ROM set.
Member for 2 Years CK Killscreener Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Masters - Rank C DK 1.2M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DKJR Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder DK 1.1M First Man Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1M First Man DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

ost

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 01:05:34 am »

@OST - Even a crappy laptop or PC should be enough to run the MAME version of DK, which IS accepted here.  You can even use your 8bitdo stick! Those things rock by the way!  Just make sure that if you go the MAME & PC route, you read the rules for the submissions!

Looking forward to seeing you crush some DK, and get on Twitch and added to the streamers list.  It's awesome watching people's progression!

Actually when I started playing DK I did it on my crappy laptop using MAME, but someting about it wasn't right. I constantly had a feeling that the game was runnning at a slower speed than the DK machine/cabinet at my local Arcade. Then a friend of mine showed me DK on his Nintendo Switch, and also there the game was faster than what I was used to when playing on MAME. So i bought a Switch and now the game runs perfectly. I don't know what's wrong with my laptop but getting the game to run as it should using MAME seems impossible to me.

I've been doing some good progress lately and now my PB is 770.000 which encouraged me to buy an Elgato HD60s+ capture card and start recording my games.

ost

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 01:15:05 am »
It is not out of the realm possibility for Switch scores to eventually be accepted here. I think the main issue is we don't know exactly what's going on under the hood. It seems like most players feel the emulation is accurate, but I think a more objective approach would be needed. And, of course, the joystick/evidence requirements would need some serious hashing out. But don't be discouraged. We don't accept them now, but there's no reason to not have a good conversation about it.

Thanks for the answer. I'll keep playing and recording games if in case you one day should accept them.

ost

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 01:17:32 am »
Hi everyone,

One of our friends in Japan has relayed information from an acquaintance at HAMSTER, the developer for Donkey Kong on the Nintendo Switch.

All arcade archives titles developed by HAMSTER are working with custom emulation originally developed in-house. So it's not a MAME derivative or using core or anything like that.

The details of the program are also confidential matters for development, so we apologize that we cannot share much information.

HAMSTER and HAMSTERs President are happy to see Arcade Archives Donkey Kong being discussed on Donkey Kong Forum.

He also said that he would be honored if the Arcade Archives score was recognized by the forum and its members.

If you have any questions, we will do our best to provide as much information as possible.

Arcade Archives Donkey Kong implements 3 versions of the ROM set, and some of ROMs in [Japan later Version] ROM set probably differ from the data dumped on MAME (Japan set 1). International Version (US set 1) and Japan early version (Japan set 3) are same data as the MAME ROM set.

Nice of you to do some investigation on the matter.

Online Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 04:55:21 pm »

Actually when I started playing DK I did it on my crappy laptop using MAME, but someting about it wasn't right. I constantly had a feeling that the game was runnning at a slower speed than the DK machine/cabinet at my local Arcade. Then a friend of mine showed me DK on his Nintendo Switch, and also there the game was faster than what I was used to when playing on MAME. So i bought a Switch and now the game runs perfectly. I don't know what's wrong with my laptop but getting the game to run as it should using MAME seems impossible to me.

I've been doing some good progress lately and now my PB is 770.000 which encouraged me to buy an Elgato HD60s+ capture card and start recording my games.
Your Computer must not be to bad if thinking about using it on Computer..  To Use Elgato HD60S+ you need a High End Computer.
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

http://www.twitch.tv/simpsons99
You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 9 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline chungy

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 04:40:30 pm »

MAME for the past few years does do some analogue audio circuitry emulation that can cause Donkey Kong to require a faster computer than people might expect. You can press F11 in MAME to show the current running speed. 100% is normal, of course.
Member for 1 Year Twitch Streamer