Author Topic: 2002 article on Wiebe's 1.014m DK Jr  (Read 3891 times)

Offline ersatz_cats

• Awards
2002 article on Wiebe's 1.014m DK Jr
« on: July 29, 2021, 09:57:00 am »
I was at the WA State Library here in sweltering Olympia the other day. Among a few things I was interested in looking up following their post-COVID reopening was this 2002 profile of Steve Wiebe in Bellevue's Eastside Journal. The focus of the article was on Wiebe's new Donkey Kong Junior record of 1,014,100 (incorrectly cited as 1,014,000 in the photo caption). However, the article and sidebar also make mention of Wiebe's previously forgotten 885k on DK.

Here's their front page teaser:

And the article, as it graced the front of their day's sports section:

(Sorry if it's a little hard to read. The scans look great on the library monitor!)

You can watch this DK Jr record, unearthed late last year from TG archives, here:

And before you ask, I don't know of any relation between Matt Thompson and Mike Thompson.
Member for 6 Years

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: 2002 article on Wiebe's 1.014m DK Jr
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 10:21:22 am »
Some thoughts.
1. Tim Sczerby gets the shaft yet again being labeled "some guy."

2. Wiebe was a night owl 10 PM to 2:45 AM

3. Wow, Donkey Kong 3 got a mention. And to this day, no one has ever had the Donkey Kong Triple Crown. I'd say the difficulty level has increased dramatically since 2002 to pull that off. To be honest, I think just getting the Donkey Kong record is dramatically more difficult than getting the Triple Crown in 2002.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:23:38 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 01:45:17 pm »
He was playing  with 6 men wtf or am I seeing  things?
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 02:15:40 pm »
There is part of the story weibe did submit scores with 6 men a couple times.
It took awhile to get him to four but up until kok he never followed the rules once for a submission.  True story.

Dwayne

Offline Dallas Taylor

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 05:46:36 pm »
Some thoughts.
1. Tim Sczerby gets the shaft yet again being labeled "some guy."

Someone always gets short-changed when some other guy sets a new record.

2. Wiebe was a night owl 10 PM to 2:45 AM

I start at 10pm. Sometimes go until 4am. Only play once a week though, so I don't think that's excessive :)

3. Wow, Donkey Kong 3 got a mention. And to this day, no one has ever had the Donkey Kong Triple Crown. I'd say the difficulty level has increased dramatically since 2002 to pull that off. To be honest, I think just getting the Donkey Kong record is dramatically more difficult than getting the Triple Crown in 2002.

Agreed. Unless someone like Mr. Tudose, Barra or Finkel really wanted to put the time in, I don't see it happening.

Member for 4 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer