Author Topic: Billy Mitchell's 1M Game  (Read 26048 times)

Offline KongTower

• Awards
Re: Billy Mitchell's 1M Game
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 10:15:56 am »
If you think calling out Billy for being a cheater and not giving him forgiveness is tantamount to ostracizing would-be new members in the community, you're being far too sensitive, and so are those would-be new members.

If you can't see that we care deeply about all this, and think we're just stuffy stubborn gamers holding a grudge, then you are not really in touch with the situation. It goes beyond falsifying performances FYI.

Ultimately, Billy is an instance of a bigger problem.  When someone lies to accomplish a goal that others have ethical standards holding them back, contriving a story under which the lie is considered acceptable is symptomatic of a system in peril.

The system of achieving scores through Twitch is rife with ethical quandaries of its own, independent of anything specific to Billy Mitchell.

I look forward to the spectacle that is Billy Mitchell running into the proverbial "speed bumps" of the two main points of evidence.

#1: the "finger" evidence of MAME
#2: the "luck" of the smash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson%27s_chi-squared_test

It should be possible to come up with the probability, from the smash data, that those smash scores were achieved legitimately.

I would guess the probability is far lower than one in a million that those smash scores were scored in a single game.

Has someone already done this?  If there is interest I can run the test on the smash data or help someone else who is interested.

I think that for an average person to quantify it to "1 in xxx chance" how lucky one would have to be to get those smashes it might help translate to the public given the knowledge of the code that produces the values as independently random results.
--
liars win goodbye
Member for 6 Years

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 10:24:31 am »
Hickey has already done this. I think he posted it to the TG dispute too. Lemme find it.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sanjuro

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 10:33:35 am »
Again, you're making my point. You jumped at the chance to call me too sensitive, telling newcomers to beat it, it's survival of the fittest. That's the definition of an insular community.
Member for 8 Years

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
The troll is strong with this one.

Keep it up, you could become an honorary Brit

ROFL 
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Sanjuro

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 10:42:09 am »
The troll is strong with this one.

Keep it up, you could become an honorary Brit

ROFL

Uh, who have I been baiting? I've been responding in good faith.
Member for 8 Years

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 10:50:46 am »
I could say that you'll have to provide a link to your claims of good-faithiness

But that would definitely be trolling.

Keep going though, you show potential
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Sanjuro

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 10:52:40 am »
I could say that you'll have to provide a link to your claims of good-faithiness

But that would definitely be trolling.

Keep going though, you show potential

...uh, likewise I suppose.
Member for 8 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 11:09:11 am »
I have to admit that over the past 24 hours the  <popcorn> has been extra salty

8) 8) 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Sanjuro

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 11:13:45 am »
I have to admit that over the past 24 hours the  <popcorn> has been extra salty

8) 8) 8)

Yeah, I've been playing some catch-up and noticed that as well. I didn't think anything I posted would catch vitriol, but...here we are.

BibleThump
Member for 8 Years

yman

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 11:20:27 am »
Billy streamed another 1M game last night and from what I could tell his gameplay is as follows:

Barrels:        Use both hammers
  Pie Factory:  Free pass and if not available then get the hammer
  Elevators:    Get all three prizes
  Rivets:         Use the Star Pattern and Kong leeching when available

With him doing it twice in a few days and making it look like getting 1M is such an easy task, it makes me wonder why nobody at the 1st Kong Off in 2011 was able to do it including himself.

Were all of them not doing one of the things listed above or was it something else?

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 11:29:16 am »
With him doing it twice in a few days and making it look like getting 1M is such an easy task, it makes me wonder why nobody at the 1st Kong Off in 2011 was able to do it including himself.

There were a LOT of failed attempts along the way, though. The strategy is simple enough. Doing it without dying four times is easier said than done.
Member for 10 Years

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 11:50:25 am »
Again, you're making my point. You jumped at the chance to call me too sensitive, telling newcomers to beat it, it's survival of the fittest. That's the definition of an insular community.

You show me where I said that. Yes I said you were too sensitive. That is the only accurate depiction you made of my statement(s). You are crushing it with the words-in-mouth-putting today.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 11:51:44 am »
Beyond that, the cynicism and attitude from the community has largely kept me from wanting to share my own personal scores and experiences.

If you go to any other thread around here, outside of those that are purely drama-driven, I think you will see the overwhelming support within the community, for its honest players, be it the newest of the new player, or the seasoned veteran.  We support each other, we cheer each other on.  Until the true details of the scandal came to light, Billy was also counted among that camaraderie, where he chose to include himself in it.

Conversely, you will see the overwhelming rejection of any activities that are not within the best interest of the community and one's pursuit and enjoyment of the game (i.e. cheating).  I'm sorry but the "all press is good press" argument doesn't fly here.  Please feel free (and be formally invited) to engage as part of the healthy activities that go on around here.  Leave the rest at the doorstep.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline NightRider

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 11:55:09 am »
Billy streamed another 1M game last night and from what I could tell his gameplay is as follows:

Barrels:        Use both hammers
  Pie Factory:  Free pass and if not available then get the hammer
  Elevators:    Get all three prizes
  Rivets:         Use the Star Pattern and Kong leeching when available

Were all of them not doing one of the things listed above or was it something else?

Yup, BM's gameplay, as you described, is the basic formula for getting roughly 1M points, and this was known by top players at KO1.

I would say the reason that nobody got 1M at KO1 is a combination of factors.

1) Psychological barrier - Not many people had broken 1M at that time.

2) Certain aspects of the game that make survival easier while maintaining pace are better understood now than they were back then.

3) The KO1 event was pretty short, and RNG is pretty strong with this game.

4) At least two 1M capable players did not attend the event.
Born with a steering wheel in his hand... And lead in his foot.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Sanjuro

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 11:55:37 am »

You show me where I said that. Yes I said you were too sensitive. That is the only accurate depiction you made of my statement(s). You are crushing it with the words-in-mouth-putting today.

Then if you would like to clarify, sure. That was how I took your post towards me to be honest.
Member for 8 Years