Author Topic: Donkey Kong Kill-Screener Timeline  (Read 195725 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Kill-Screener Timeline
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 06:45:31 am »
No kidding, awesome!  I was chatting with Cory on my stream for a bit yesterday before this must have all went down.  Congrats!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 07:45:08 am »
cheers guys, my KS was on arcade btw...

and congrats on your KS Corey!

8)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:23:28 pm by Fast Eddie »

corey.chambers

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
Thank you everyone for watching my game last night. It was awesome to have all of you there supporting me. Thanks to Mitch for sharing the quote from Augustine in this thread. I had just paraphrased that expression earlier that day. I greatly appreciate each and everyone of you!

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 06:55:22 pm »
Thank you everyone for watching my game last night. It was awesome to have all of you there supporting me. Thanks to Mitch for sharing the quote from Augustine in this thread. I had just paraphrased that expression earlier that day. I greatly appreciate each and everyone of you!

Hey Corey, I just watched the last 27 minutes of your killscreen game.  I was somewhat taken aback by what I heard at the 4:28 mark:

"Just beat my personal best, 2 guys to spare.  Now I'm creeping up on that one guy, the so-called coveted 17th place on Twin Galaxies.  So, like 750 or something."

On Dave's stream the other night (or maybe it was Ethan's) you introduced yourself to Ben and me, and commented that you were pleased to meet both of us.  Now that you're a big shot, I've suddenly been relegated to "that one guy" status?  If the pace of the game had been over 1M and you were closing in on Ben's score, I imagine he would have also been summarily dismissed as "that other guy."

Ben, are we going to sit still and take this bullshit?  I mean, WTF!?

Just playing around, Corey.  It's what I do.  You'll get used to it, although Vincent still hasn't.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 07:27:46 pm »
Yes, I did refer to you as that "other guy" because I forgot your name. I am not very good with names, I do apologize about that. I think I know it now, Scott. :) We had a good conversation when we first met and at that time I playfully said that "I was coming for you". For some reason I took to heart that "many have tried and failed to obtain the coveted 17th place" and I guess I took it as a playful challenge.  Though once I submit my score, it will be a coveted 18th place, ;) lol. Although I take great pride in my improving abilities I still have a lot to learn. You will find that I have a rather good nature and have no ill-intent even though I am open to a little healthy competition. Last night I challenged Ethan to get one million before me. I hope he does it, because I am practicing. It is all in good fun.

You must understand that I was in the middle of the best game of my life. I was feeling very confident, it is hard to restrain any and everything that I may say in any given moment under that much pressure to perform in a live setting. After I beat my best, I was not thinking about the killscreen at that very moment, although this was the ultimate goal, I was thinking about what you said in our first conversation. That is what came to mind and that was my encouraging self-talk. If I were telling myself that I was the best donkey kong player in the world (which I am not), it would not be an assumed role, just a little boost in confidence knowing full well that it is not true. Sometimes I think we all need it. A "hot shot"? No, not really. I am humble enough to admit that I got some lucky breaks in my kill screen game, and it may not have been equivalent to a kill screen that someone else may have had to work much harder, and required much more skill than I have to achieve. Not all kill screen accomplishments are created equal. People will have to watch my video and decide for themselves the level of skill that was required to navigate the particular variables with which I was faced. Thank you for watching my game by the way.

Hey Corey, I just watched the last 27 minutes of your killscreen game.  I was somewhat taken aback by what I heard at the 4:28 mark:

"Just beat my personal best, 2 guys to spare.  Now I'm creeping up on that one guy, the so-called coveted 17th place on Twin Galaxies.  So, like 750 or something."

On Dave's stream the other night (or maybe it was Ethan's) you introduced yourself to Ben and me, and commented that you were pleased to meet both of us.  Now that you're a big shot, I've suddenly been relegated to "that one guy" status?  If the pace of the game had been over 1M and you were closing in on Ben's score, I imagine he would have also been summarily dismissed as "that other guy."

Ben, are we going to sit still and take this bullshit?  I mean, WTF!?

Just playing around, Corey.  It's what I do.  You'll get used to it, although Vincent still hasn't.   ;)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:51:43 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:30 am »
Yes, I did refer to you as that "other guy" because I forgot your name. I am not very good with names, I do apologize about that. I think I know it now, Scott. :)

My primary goal all along: make enough of an impression that you'd remember me.  I had to berate both Mitch and Ethan for a week before they finally came around.  Mitch kept calling me Steve, and Ethan thought my name was Brian.  Aside from Steve beginning with "S", and all 3 being 5-letter names, I never quite identified the source of confusion (j/k guys, no replies necessary).

We had a good conversation when we first met and at that time I playfully said that "I was coming for you". For some reason I took to heart that "many have tried and failed to obtain the coveted 17th place" and I guess I took it as a playful challenge.

As I mentioned in chat last night, I had forgotten my comment until I heard you repeat it.

"Many have tried and failed to take over the highly coveted 17th position on the TG scoreboard."

Yeah, that certainly sounds like me.

Playful challenge issued, accepted and met in admirable fashion.

Though once I submit my score, it will be a coveted 18th place, ;) lol.

Actually, once the dust settles, I expect to be out of the Top 20 completely.  We've had 5 MAME killscreen games (that we know of) since September 2012, although 2 were achieved by players already ahead of me (Jeff H and Phil).  When TG reopens the gate for MAME submissions, there could also be one or more 800-900k non-killscreen games in the queue.

Clearly, I have some work to do.

After I beat my best, I was not thinking about the killscreen at that very moment, although this was the ultimate goal, I was thinking about what you said in our first conversation. That is what came to mind and that was my encouraging self-talk.

I hope to secure a killscreen of my own.  In the meantime, it's nice to contribute (in some small way) to another player's success.

I may embark on a new career as a CAG motivational guru, although from what I've been told, the pay is terrible.   ;)

Thank you for watching my game by the way.

I only wish I had been there for the live event.  I already knew the movie's ending, but watching the home stretch is always enjoyable.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:14:20 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »
Jeff, since we did so with the highscore list, maybe we should add this thread to 'lists' as well. You might wanna do the same thing to the 'terms and acronyms' thread as well. These threads are the ones that are most 'list-ish' that I could quickly recall. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:37:34 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »
I'll let Chris make the call.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 03:17:24 pm »
I was just thinking, "say, my kill-screener timeline should probably go in the lists forum...", and there was your post!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:32 pm »
Estel your old score was 860k wasn't it. Your first kill screen?
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:09 pm »
Chris, I see on TG that Stephen Boyer got a KS in 2007. Is there a reason this isn't on the list for his date?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 11:47:14 pm »
The date that I have on the high score list is 10/31/2007. Good observation, Mitch.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 01:07:11 am »
Unfortunately the TG forum is gone so the evidence is as well, but all of my first-time kill screen dates were based on forum research.

The TG forum incarnation of this list included links directly to the announcements of everybody's kill screens. But it's gone, so oh well.

In any case, Stephen made a post where he said that he just got his first kill screen. I went by the date of his post, which was 3/30/08. Unless I somehow got that wrong, but dangit, I can't check... If it's wrong, I don't know where it came from!

But you are right, the TG record does say 10/31/2007. And this isn't the date bug either because my spreadsheet of the top TG scores (which I made from the old, pre-bug TG site) also says 10/31/2007. Unless THAT date was wrong.

Something is wrong, in any case.

Too bad Stephen isn't a member here.

I guess we should go with the official TG date for now.

Argh, we really need to get that forum back somehow... there is so much on there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:11:33 am by ChrisP »

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:10 am »
Stephen's official TG score is not his high score, nor a killscreen game.  I can ask him if he remembers the date/score of his first killscreen.  Is self-reported OK for your list?  I don't believe he has it recorded/witnessed.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 10:11:17 am »
OK, so maybe the date I have IS correct...

Though it seems odd that he would get 801K in October and not actually kill screen the game until March. Getting that close would drive me nuts!