Author Topic: Ladder Transitions  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
Ladder Transitions
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
Hi

Just made this picture when exploring transitions up ladders and the last position the barrel can be located to make the move safely.

I think it's fairly accurate.
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Ladder Transitions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:21:28 am »
Good stuff Martin!

Probably unrelated, but I very occasionally experience a wierd phenomenon where after climbing a ladder (usually when trying to beat a barrel above) Jump man seemingly refuses to perform the necissary back-jump to avoid death and instead just runs away as the barrel hits his back, its like for a split moment after you dis-mount the ladder theres some dead frame that refuses to accept the jump input, but its very rare so I guess it could just be momentary MAME lag.

Still though, when it occurs its usually in that position (trying to climb a ladder and needing to back jump the split second you are up to avoid the on coming barrel)

I used to think it was just in my head intel ( Kappa ) another MAME player mentioned it on stream one day.

anyway... thanks for posting, love seeing this stuff  Kreygasm

Offline jwade614

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:00 pm »
Adam, I believe what you are describing is a situation where you hit the jump button slightly too soon. There is a moment after that where the jump button will not register. The same thing happens when trying to do consecutive jumps. If you hit the jump button just prior to landing, you'll have to wait a moment before you can register another jump. Both situations happen on arcade, too. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on this.
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:18 pm »
Have been wanting to plot these positions for a while.

I sometimes hit the jump button too soon as hammer runs out and barrel is approaching.
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer