Donkey Kong Strategy > Basic Donkey Kong Strategy

Deciding between Star or Weave?

<< < (2/3) > >>

homerwannabee:
Because if the firefoxes are on the first two boards you can rack up the points with the bottom hammer. Also, you should be able to clear the top left two rivets pretty easily, and if one chases you up on the left side you can probably grab the top hammer as a last resort.

Itsmrpitchy:
I think for survival though it would be the opposite right. Points do not matter, more of the concern is a safe grab of hammers.

I believe this is also recommended in the manual of this forum for getting a kill screen.

Mitch Mitchell:
George is right in my opinion. I use Star and will try to finish it off even if im lightly trapped and it doesnt take too much time like 1 goes up left ladder and im steering him all the way up so i can jump across 2nd rivet down to head down to get the hammer. Of course if 1 comes across under top hammer giving a double trap i go up the ladder and stand beside Kong for the Last Ditch Kong Jump option then head down and jump across as previously stated to hammer. BUT if im unable to get down immedietely or if all this takes too much time i switch to weave and skip bottom hammer as it takes up about 1000 bonus time up and before i know it im out of time to get the top hammer and to even finish the level.

So in summary, if fireballs go up and cause a bad trap i Weave to get the top hammer and hopefully survive the level, if theyre down bottom then Star is the way to go so i can cut their climb up off and trap them to the left side of the screen and im left with just 1-3 to deal with (hopefully) to be able to get the top hammer easier and finish the level.

NWnike:
My Jumpman sticks to the star pattern until his last breath... [as Ivan Drago]"If he dies, he dies."

McBee:

--- Quote from: NWnike on April 14, 2020, 12:07:53 pm ---My Jumpman sticks to the star pattern until his last breath... [as Ivan Drago]"If he dies, he dies."

--- End quote ---

This has been my strategy but I cannot get beyond my PB of 325K so was thinking maybe something else would be a bit safer. My reading has led me to believe that I am wrong.  I guess the only thing to do is get better at finishing the board when things go sideways.

Which brings me to my real question:

If you successfully get the star to the point where you have exhausted the lower hammer, but there are still 3+ firefoxes on the right side of the completed rivets and are higher than you, what is the strategy to get to the higher hammer without the damn things killing you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version