Donkey Kong Strategy > Basic Donkey Kong Strategy

Deciding between Star or Weave?

<< < (3/3)

dknetter:

--- Quote from: McBee on February 05, 2021, 04:14:22 am ---
--- Quote from: NWnike on April 14, 2020, 12:07:53 pm ---My Jumpman sticks to the star pattern until his last breath... [as Ivan Drago]"If he dies, he dies."

--- End quote ---

This has been my strategy but I cannot get beyond my PB of 325K so was thinking maybe something else would be a bit safer. My reading has led me to believe that I am wrong.  I guess the only thing to do is get better at finishing the board when things go sideways.

Which brings me to my real question:

If you successfully get the star to the point where you have exhausted the lower hammer, but there are still 3+ firefoxes on the right side of the completed rivets and are higher than you, what is the strategy to get to the higher hammer without the damn things killing you?

--- End quote ---

I ended up following NWnike's approach...just stick with star. I haven't played much since the KS, but thinking back I believe you have to develop some patience and skill in pausing/backing up on the pattern to still make it work. That can be right near the start on the bottom left, but also more frequently for the top left. If you haven't wasted much time before the 1st hammer, try and wait to time that one to get a couple smashes if you can.

To your question about the 3+ remaining after the 1st hammer, I actually think that occurs fairly often. You may already know this, but be aggressive up the middle ladder to position for a quick up and hammer grab when they are coming from the right above you, as they only go down the ladder when coming from the left. While using the 1st hammer, skip the rivet on the right and be looking to go up that middle ladder if there are 3+ left and it looks like they might leave that area open for you (assuming also that you don't see a chance to get a smash to the right with that 1st hammer). If not, get the rivet on the right and go down to get the bottom right rivet immediately to save time later by clearing that one, then circle back up to await a clear path to the 2nd hammer. But even if you do get the right rivet while using the hammer, be looking to abort going down for that bottom right corner rivet if there are 3+ left and it suddenly looks like you'll have an opening for the other hammer. Other things to be looking for after you've gotten at least the rivet on the right with the 1st hammer - if one more more comes down that right side to the 1st hammer level, position yourself slightly down a ladder to try and lure them to go further down (I'm still not actually clear if that increases their chance of going lower). If they do go down further, it obviously gives you one less to deal with for a 2nd hammer grab. Also, be looking for the chance to run up the right ladders and just clear the rivets without that 2nd hammer...like if 1+ comes down the middle, but even sometimes when they don't and are caught too far left. I felt like once I started paying attention, that tactic really helped save the level once in a while.

McBee:

--- Quote from: dknetter on February 22, 2021, 05:20:09 pm ---
--- Quote from: McBee on February 05, 2021, 04:14:22 am ---
--- Quote from: NWnike on April 14, 2020, 12:07:53 pm ---My Jumpman sticks to the star pattern until his last breath... [as Ivan Drago]"If he dies, he dies."

--- End quote ---

This has been my strategy but I cannot get beyond my PB of 325K so was thinking maybe something else would be a bit safer. My reading has led me to believe that I am wrong.  I guess the only thing to do is get better at finishing the board when things go sideways.

Which brings me to my real question:

If you successfully get the star to the point where you have exhausted the lower hammer, but there are still 3+ firefoxes on the right side of the completed rivets and are higher than you, what is the strategy to get to the higher hammer without the damn things killing you?

--- End quote ---

I ended up following NWnike's approach...just stick with star. I haven't played much since the KS, but thinking back I believe you have to develop some patience and skill in pausing/backing up on the pattern to still make it work. That can be right near the start on the bottom left, but also more frequently for the top left. If you haven't wasted much time before the 1st hammer, try and wait to time that one to get a couple smashes if you can.

To your question about the 3+ remaining after the 1st hammer, I actually think that occurs fairly often. You may already know this, but be aggressive up the middle ladder to position for a quick up and hammer grab when they are coming from the right above you, as they only go down the ladder when coming from the left. While using the 1st hammer, skip the rivet on the right and be looking to go up that middle ladder if there are 3+ left and it looks like they might leave that area open for you (assuming also that you don't see a chance to get a smash to the right with that 1st hammer). If not, get the rivet on the right and go down to get the bottom right rivet immediately to save time later by clearing that one, then circle back up to await a clear path to the 2nd hammer. But even if you do get the right rivet while using the hammer, be looking to abort going down for that bottom right corner rivet if there are 3+ left and it suddenly looks like you'll have an opening for the other hammer. Other things to be looking for after you've gotten at least the rivet on the right with the 1st hammer - if one more more comes down that right side to the 1st hammer level, position yourself slightly down a ladder to try and lure them to go further down (I'm still not actually clear if that increases their chance of going lower). If they do go down further, it obviously gives you one less to deal with for a 2nd hammer grab. Also, be looking for the chance to run up the right ladders and just clear the rivets without that 2nd hammer...like if 1+ comes down the middle, but even sometimes when they don't and are caught too far left. I felt like once I started paying attention, that tactic really helped save the level once in a while.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that.  I have been giving it more time before grabbing the lower hammer and I have been trying to "steer" the firefoxes down ladders once I have it (although I still think that is a bunch of bunk) and I seem to have fewer deaths on the rivet stages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version