Author Topic: Did they go wrong by calling some video game scores world records  (Read 2481 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
To be honest, I'm guilty of it too. Calling whatever video game high score a "World Record."
It feels like this has led to some having faulty thinking about the term World Record. It seems to have led to an unhealthy attachment to meaningless scores.
So this is the rule of thumb they should have used.
Are there submissions from people in at least three different countries? Yes? Then it's a World Record.
Are there submissions from people in less than three countries? No? Then it's simply a high score.
But yeah, it's not really a World record without that.
Sort of like the World Series isn't really a World Series with only two countries.
Just my two cents.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
Re: Did they go wrong by calling some video game scores world records
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:18:27 pm »
I would probably say if its the highest score in the world then its a world record. Whether one other person's played or not. Just because some people are batshit crazy doesn't make them not Wr. Its the highest score in the world doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener Winner of a community event DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder Twitch Streamer