Author Topic: I don't think Robbies joystick was a true 8 way  (Read 3940 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I don't think Robbies joystick was a true 8 way
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:29:28 am »
I have played on that joystick a few times, and I have never had any problems playing the game.  If it was an 8 way I would assume that I would have missed a ladder or two because it is an 8 way.  Are people sure that the joystick he played on was an 8 way?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: I don't think Robbies joystick was a true 8 way
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:28 am »
Apparently I guess it is a quasi 4/8 way joystick.   Man that really sucks. :(   I had no idea that there were 8 way joysticks pretending to be 4 way joysticks.   So you can't just go by feel with all 8 ways.  Learn something new every day.  It just sucks that Robbie had to learn the hard way.

I swear Robbie's quest for a top 12 spot is turning into a Steve Wiebe moment.  First he gets in with a 1.07 million game, and then he finds out that MAME doesn't count.  Then he gets a Funspot score of 1.015 million that Richie says gets him a dedicated machine.  Of course Richie spoke too soon, and he didn't get that dedicated machine.  And now he plays an 8 way joystick that has the functionality of a 4 way joystick, and his score gets disqualified after he finds out it's an 8 way after the fact.

If Robbie does not get into the top 12, everyone here has to admit he deserves the "Hard Luck Player of the Year Award".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:05:17 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

lakeman421

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
Apparently I guess it is a quasi 4/8 way joystick.   Man that really sucks. :(   I had no idea that there were 8 way joysticks pretending to be 4 way joysticks.   So you can't just go by feel with all 8 ways.  Learn something new every day.  It just sucks that Robbie had to learn the hard way.

I swear Robbie's quest for a top 12 spot is turning into a Steve Wiebe moment.  First he gets in with a 1.07 million game, and then he finds out that MAME doesn't count.  Then he gets a Funspot score of 1.015 million that Richie says gets him a dedicated machine.  Of course Richie spoke too soon, and he didn't get that dedicated machine.  And now he plays an 8 way joystick that has the functionality of a 4 way joystick, and his score gets disqualified after he finds out it's an 8 way after the fact.

If Robbie does not get into the top 12, everyone here has to admit he deserves the "Hard Luck Player of the Year Award".
I have played on 10 machines in 6 different states in the past month.  I've battled through hours of fatigue and finished one of the most difficult games of my life after a 5 hour drive.  I have done everything I could and played so well it's frustrating the fact I still might not have a Kong Off spot after everything I've been through lately.  Before I went to Erics yesterday I asked if everything on his cab was original and he said yes.  I believed it because the game wasn't playing hard like an 8-Way would make it.  If I had known about the joystick beforehand I would have had it replaced or just not bothered at all.

Fast Eddie

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:01 am »
thats brutal man  :( hope you can still get a spot, you earned it...

8)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:50 am »

I have played on 10 machines in 6 different states in the past month.  I've battled through hours of fatigue and finished one of the most difficult games of my life after a 5 hour drive.  I have done everything I could and played so well it's frustrating the fact I still might not have a Kong Off spot after everything I've been through lately.  Before I went to Erics yesterday I asked if everything on his cab was original and he said yes.  I believed it because the game wasn't playing hard like an 8-Way would make it.  If I had known about the joystick beforehand I would have had it replaced or just not bothered at all.

Hey, don't feel bad, that joystick tricked me as well into thinking it was a 4 way.  Like you said, you have played on 10 machines, and the joystick obviously did not feel any different than a regular 4 way or you would have said something about that pretty quickly into the game.  It sucks that these pretender 4 ways actually exist.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

V3rby

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »
that sucks, i hope you can still get your spot, i saw several games of you, and was very impressed, i think you've earned your spot!

i wish you the best of luck you still get to go to the KO!

what kind of joystick was it? 8 way with a 4 way restrictor plate?

corey.chambers

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
You have my support! Keep it up!

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:12 pm »
I have played on 10 machines in 6 different states in the past month.  I've battled through hours of fatigue and finished one of the most difficult games of my life after a 5 hour drive.  I have done everything I could and played so well it's frustrating the fact I still might not have a Kong Off spot after everything I've been through lately.

Geez, you KNOW that a quote with such pathos is going to end up on the DK blog run by that guy who goes out of his way to make everything melodramatic... ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener