Author Topic: Twin Galaxies Recording Rules  (Read 24332 times)

hchien

Re: Twin Galaxies Recording Rules
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
Back in June when I submitted, the link went to the normal arcade recording rules. Sometime around August, it started going to the "Special DK Rules" again.

I didn't know that.  I thought it was just a dead link during that time.  I agree, that's completely misleading then. 

I don't think DK rules will ever be the same as every other arcade game.  The 4-way/8-way thing alone is different from every other game.  I don't think the controls are scrutinized as much for any other game.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:13 am »
Thats why I stated that on my timeline:

As a test, if you "submitted" a score for DK, on the submission page you were linked to the basic arcade recording rules.

I thought the old rules were dead and buried with the old TG after that. Archiving the old TG actually hurt us.  ???
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:30 am »
There is no way to make everyone happy right now, we all know that. Robbies score was not DQ'd for not following the pointless and unnecessary rules, I firmly believe it would have gone thru except for the joystick (and I would have fought for that). The joystick does make a difference and has been proven to influence gameplay (even though I believe this was HARDER on Robbie instead of an advantage).

I promise after KO3 these rules will be fixed OFFICIALLY. Until then, i would not give any reason for a score to be DQ'd. The rules suck but they are not impossible to follow.

Lets all rally for Robbie, Eric will be able to get a proper stick in there today and maybe he'll bust out a 1.1!

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:17 am »
There is no way to make everyone happy right now, we all know that. Robbies score was not DQ'd for not following the pointless and unnecessary rules, I firmly believe it would have gone thru except for the joystick (and I would have fought for that). The joystick does make a difference and has been proven to influence gameplay (even though I believe this was HARDER on Robbie instead of an advantage).

I promise after KO3 these rules will be fixed OFFICIALLY. Until then, i would not give any reason for a score to be DQ'd. The rules suck but they are not impossible to follow.

Lets all rally for Robbie, Eric will be able to get a proper stick in there today and maybe he'll bust out a 1.1!

-Ken

I agree Ken, I'll probably go back to the rules just for this week. I'll rally for Robbie, but I'm also making attempts also. ;) If my score happens this week then Robbie's score would have been for naught anyway since it was in 12th. Lets see how this turns out.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
Dave, I am rooting for you too, and everyone else who wants to get in! This is the best and worst part of competition!

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »
Given all the recent events...something that hasn't exactly been answered officially yet is when the actual drop dead hour, minute, second...is, for making the top 12.  Then there are all the what-if scenarios.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put up a 9th, 10th place score on October 25th, that ended at 11:53pm, and it wasn't submitted online until 12:06am October 26.  Would this count? Or would they be out of luck because although they played the game, it wasn't submitted in time?

Or, a score is put up tonight, officially submitted online in time, sent in the mail to be reviewed, but a couple days before the KO3, say Nov 13, the score is thrown out due to a technicality.  Something like this might cause a player to miss out on the event completely because they thought they weren't in the event, or top 12, altogether...when they actually were in the top 12...and don't find out that official news until the day before...and they live in Florida or something.

All this top 12 stuff at the last minute...anything could happen. 

Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:18 pm »
Given all the recent events...something that hasn't exactly been answered officially yet is when the actual drop dead hour, minute, second...is, for making the top 12.

I think the response we got was pretty clear (in the KO3 questions thread):

"All scores must be SUBMITTED by 10/25/13 at 11:59 pm"

This isn't a game end time nor a postmarked by time.  If it were up to me and someone submitted a score at 12:06am, I'd reject it for top 12 purposes.  It wouldn't be fair to the person in 12th (which happens to be you).  The only possible ambiguity is the time zone, but I think it's safe to say the person who wrote that was in Mountain Time and was referring to their own time zone.

Or, a score is put up tonight, officially submitted online in time, sent in the mail to be reviewed, but a couple days before the KO3, say Nov 13, the score is thrown out due to a technicality.

Something like this is out of everyone's control.  This would be a pretty rare event.  I think the last time a score on DK was accepted and then later rejected was when Wiebe's 98x-99xK games were later found out to been performed on a DDK/8-way.  It was even worse for him because there were no special DK rules at the time stating that 8-ways were not allowed.

There will always be things that are out of everyone's control.  What if I have a patient that has an emergency at the last minute?  What if Denver gets flooded that weekend?  What if people's flights get canceled?  What if Allen's car gets towed?  No set of rules will prevent situations like that.   Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

I realize everyone at the border of Top 12 is on edge right now.  I wish good luck to everyone.  Mike, I think you should go to KO3 regardless of whether you are top 12.  You are clearly one of the best DK players regardless of whether you are officially top 12 or not.  Even if you have to play on WC's, I don't think they are at a huge disadvantage this year.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2013, 06:53:46 pm »
Actually that second quote scenario is not a rare event, just yesterday had Robbie not streamed his post verification and did it only with his camera and sent it in, we'd all think that it was valid and mike would have cancelled his flight. By the time it got to TG and they noticed it was wrong, it would have been after the 25th.

hchien

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:34 pm »
Yeah I guess I was thinking verified and then later rejected.  Fortunately the problems were picked up quickly.  Kudos to Ken House and TG for making a quick ruling.

EDIT: When was the last time any DK score was rejected (before Robbie)?

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
Yeah I guess I was thinking verified and then later rejected.  Fortunately the problems were picked up quickly.  Kudos to Ken House and TG for making a quick ruling.

EDIT: When was the last time any DK score was rejected (before Robbie)?
[/q

I believe mine was the first. However, my score wasn't rejected nor disputed, just covered up and aspersions cast long enough so that when the checks cleared from Picture House and the TG insiders got their money, "THEN" I was contacted and given the credit for having the score before billy........not the  money like the others got, but hey, we are talking about TG.

Why would I get upset?!!!!
Just makes me want to invest more time in setting more records :/................or maybe I'll just buy them like Steve W. instead.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener