Related Games > D2K

Changes in Level Difficulty

<< < (2/2)

ChrisP:
You will also have noticed this already Jeremy, but conveyors and rivets play significantly differently in this game.

Fireballs being able to climb down ladders when Jumpman is above them is a big deal. In almost all situations this works to the players benefit, vis-a-vis DK, and when you play for a while (especially at the higher/faster levels) it becomes clear pretty quick why the designers of the original DK restricted their movements in that way. I'm not sure why Jeff made that change. He compensated on the rivets with the "extra fireballs" thing, but even extra fireballs is still easier than five fireballs that won't go down.

On conveyors, the fact that you are safe from fireball harrassment once you've climbed onto the retractable ladders (ie, they can't climb up your butt) is an important thing to be conscious of. You can make your approach in ways that you never would in DK.

Also note that the fireballs on the barrel screens are 100% jumpable because they only turn when they hit an edge. Since you're always going to have to deal with "live" fireballs on the barrel screens in D2K, you're also going to have to get used to jumping them, and to learn how to "line up" barrel/fireball combo jumps.

Dean is right about the timer. Believe it or not, this actually becomes the biggest problem in the game once you get to L5. Specifically on the refinery. One thing I like about D2K is that there are fewer screwings, but you CAN and will get timer-screwed on the refinery boards.

You also have to learn the fastest possible conveyor pattern on the incinerator. With the fireball speed and trickiness, you can't afford to waste any timer ticks on the conveyor section. Luckily the pattern is fixed and it's just a matter of knowing/executing it right.

The timer will haunt you on the foundry too. You have to be more aggressive about dancing around the shooting fireballs than you'll want to be.

xelnia:
Thanks for the tips Chris! I would say the level I'm most comfortable with at this point (of the new levels) is the incinerator. I know the quickest path to the top so I think I'll be ok as long as I can manage the fireball ballet that occurs trying to grab the top left heart. I've watched Ben and Dean play, and watched your INP from MARP.  ;D

I save-stated through level 5 tonight and it took me quite a few tries to get through L5 Refinery. I'm at 48,900 right now, but if I can get comfortable with the speedy Refinery and with making quick and proper decisions on L2+ Foundry then I think I can get into the 150k range fairly soon. "Soon."  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version