Donkey Kong Strategy > Advanced Donkey Kong Strategy

What is a back jump?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mitch Mitchell:
The girder is going down to the right and of course the flow of barrels is to the right; to me mario going left is forward, right backward. Both are back jumps. A - Pure backjump, B - Running backjump.

stella_blue:

My definition is fairly straightforward.  A backjump occurs when the direction of the jump is the same as the direction that the jumped object is moving.  Whether Mario is initially facing left or right is inconsequential.

In each example given, Mario is jumping to the right over a barrel that is also rolling to the right.

In my opinion, Exhibits A and B are both backjumps.

dknetter:
I've always assumed both are technically back jumps.

However, B is a specific type of back jump known in my house as a "Rey jump." It's like how Rey turns and runs away from Kylo's TIE fighter in Rise of Skywalker, and I usually do run away a bit before making the jump which seems to help me get the timing down and avoid panic jumping too soon.

gstrain:
Are there any functional differences between A and B?  Is your hitbox different depending on which direction jumpman is facing?

Milehighdt:

--- Quote ---A backjump occurs when the direction of the jump is the same as the direction that the jumped object is moving
--- End quote ---
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version