Blogs > Player Blogs

Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Engine Remake

(1/1)

Ostrich101:
So a few days ago I was really wanting to make a remake of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in a sorta bundle fangame, but after thinking about it for a bit, I thought that maybe I can make it into a engine for people to learn from and possible use to make their own Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. fangames.

While there have been a lot of main series Mario related engines, I haven't seen that many for the other games like the arcade ones, which is odd.

A user named Wes Copeland (former world record holder of Donkey Kong) attempted to make a remake of Donkey Kong's engine for use as a template, but he stopped progress on it 2 years ago, so I guess my engine will be filling it's place. (or not)

I want to mention that this isn't the first time I've done a remake of a Donkey Kong related thing. Last year I particepated in a Joke Game contest on the Mario Fan Games Galaxy, and my submission was a remix of Donkey Kong '94 (the game boy game). It's a bit buggy, but I'm (mostly) proud of how it turned out.
Video of someone playing it://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxITvBf3mQ
Anywho, here are some .GIFs of the engine:

(a small error with one of the barrels in this gif has been quickly fixed)

Ohrami:
I've never played Mario Bros. but the Donkey Kong one needs a lot of work since it looks nothing like real gameplay

Ostrich101:

--- Quote from: Ohrami on February 14, 2020, 07:26:03 am ---I've never played Mario Bros. but the Donkey Kong one needs a lot of work since it looks nothing like real gameplay

--- End quote ---
Could you please elaborate on how exactly the Donkey Kong one is needing work?

Kibbey93:

--- Quote from: Ostrich101 on February 14, 2020, 09:28:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ohrami on February 14, 2020, 07:26:03 am ---I've never played Mario Bros. but the Donkey Kong one needs a lot of work since it looks nothing like real gameplay

--- End quote ---
Could you please elaborate on how exactly the Donkey Kong one is needing work?

--- End quote ---

Initial observations. The jump animation is too fast; Jumpman climbing ladders is too slow and animations are off; and the barrels 'turning' onto a ladder and rolling down them is too slow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version