Kong League > Kong League

The 2020 FeBROary PB Challenge

(1/3) > >>

dnickolas:
Calling everyone who wants to get a better full-game score on Donkey Kong!

Duration: Feb 1st, 2020 Through Feb 29th, 2020, GMT.

SCORING & RULES

1. Only PBs matter. If you don't PB, you have no entry. NO PB, NO CARE!
2. Score will be computed based on how much you minimize the distance between your old PB and the world record, as a percentage.

a. Example 1

Allen Staal plays, with his score of 910,800. His starting pb difference gap is 348,200. This is represented as 1,259,000 - 910,800 = 348,200.
        Say Allen scores a million even. He said he'd get it soon, so let's go with that. This means that he improved by 89,200. This is represented as 1,000,000 - 910,800 = 89,200.

His improvement is calculated as 89,200/348,200 = 25.617%

b. Example 2

Robbie Lakeman's starting difference gap is 1,259,000 - 1,247,700 = 11,300.
        To overtake Allen from the previous example, he would have to score 2900 more points than his current PB for a final of 1,250,600 and a % increase of 25.664%

The winner will be the player who moves their new score closest to the world record (100%) from their current PB (0%) and achieves the highest gap improvement % during the event. NO PB, NO CARE!

3. If anyone beats the current world record of 1,259,000 during the event, all scores are recalculated relative to that with the NWR achiever being in the lead with a 100% score. If things get more complicated than that, see rule 3a.

3a. World Record Situations
There are 4 types of prize money per the structure.

A) $100 added initially
B) $10 entry fee per player in the event
C) $25 added per PB at a max of one PB per player
D) "Second place" $50 triggered if a world record is achieved by any player.

If no world records happen, then we play until the end of the month and the higher gap reduction % is the winner as stated, and A, B, and C all go to the winner.

If there is a world record, they lock up A, and are implicitly in the lead for B & C (which together go to the overall champion), and if nobody beats them then D is granted to second place.

If that world record is beaten (or beaten multiple times), then the final world record at the end of the event gets B&C, second place gets D, and whoever achieved the first New World Record keeps the "first WR" $100. Second place could also be the first WR achiever.

4. No cheating.

5. No old INP or video submissions. The play must be done during the month of February. We'd love it to be streamed, but as long as it's in February island runs are also acceptable.

6. If you PB multiple times and submit, the last one relative to your starting PB will be what counts in the end.

7. No sandbagging. If a submission is made more than 24 hours after achievement, the run is automatically rejected.

8. A new PB will only be considered valid once it's been submitted to and verified on the DKF scoreboard. NO EXCEPTIONS!

9. In the unlikely event of a statistical % dead heat tie, the first player who achieved the tied % wins. All other players must then achieve a higher %.

10. All entrants must have a current, verified PB on the DKF scoreboard of at least 748,400. Any player wishing to join who does not have a verified PB on DKF or meet the minimum score threshold will default to the lowest Kill Screen score on the scoreboard: Currently 748,400. Inclusion of any entrant that does not have an easily reviewable, verified base score is solely up to the disgression of the organizers.

11. DO NOT let Tanner win.
12. If no one PBs during the event, all entry fees will be forfeit and the entire prize pool will rollover into a similar tournament T.B.A. at a later date.

ENTRY FEE

* $10 per entrant. All entrants must ante up their $10 payment before the tournament starts or they will be kicked from the list. 100% goes toward the prize pool.
* There is a $100 overlay and $25 will be added to the prize pool for each and every pb achieved in the tournament at max of 1x per player.

PAYOUT STRUCTURE

* 1st place: 100%
* 2nd place: May as well be last place Except in the case of a world record, see rule 3a.

LINKS:
Standings, rules, HOW TO ENTER, discord, etc:

DK FeBROary PB Challenge Scoreboard

DK FeBROary PB Challenge Rules

Kong League Discord Invite

Barra:
Awesome!! PB's incoming for most people! <Allen>

GILLYKONG:
Yeah I luved the idea when Duke told me last night. Something everyone can do. But be completely separate from everyone. This will more than likely push me for a million+. Maybe Circus Charlie is owning me lol.

krehztim:
Great idea.  Does someone have a calculator I can borrow?

dnickolas:
Tim - your baseline would end up being 748,400, so anything over that would count as an entry and obviously a PB, though 748,400 exactly would still be 0% improvement (sorry).

It got pretty tricky to make the format work in a world where there could be sleepers hiding, so we mitigated against that by making the lowest ever killscreen score be the cutoff. The only advantage we can't mitigate against is that the chance of a 900k player getting a pb is far higher than a 1.1 player. So while my score is at a level where I should be able to pb on like half of my attempts by running boards, I'll still need to push in the case where a top 10 player pbs at all, since their % is going to be larger for smaller gains.

I think it levels the playing field quite a bit, though, and hopefully will get all of those dirty 1.13s out of the top 10. :) Would love for everyone to jump in and pb!

And to answer your question:  windows, MacOS, and I think every linux distro has a calculator app. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version