Blogs > Player Blogs

The Goddess of Victory Blog

(1/2) > >>

NWnike:
Hello, so I decided to start a blog to track my journey to getting better at Donkey Kong.

but first an introduction...I am 50 years old and I live in central NC... and yes, I have a serious southern accent. My hearing is atrocious. I had spinal meningitis as a baby and my hearing is a casualty of that. I actually had most of my hearing until I was 14 years old, which is why my speech isn't bad but I do wear a hearing aid in one ear but I am deaf in the other. However, nothing helps my ability to comprehend speech. I rely a lot on reading lips in person and using closed caption for watching TV and such. If I am watching a stream, I will never understand what anyone is saying.

Anyway, I grew up going to the arcades a lot. I love Ms. Pac-man, Galaga, and at one time I was really good at Pac-land but I've been streaming it lately and I wasn't doing so great recently... but it will come. I have always had a special place for Donkey Kong in my heart, I was just never any good at it. I could get to Level 3 elevators as a kid but not much further. I went years without even seeing a DK machine until a barcade called Boxcar opened in my town. They have 80's games galore. I started playing it again in January of this year, probably scoring around 25,000. I stuck with it, getting a little better slowly. When I finally got to the level 4 elevators and couldn't get past them I tried to find information on the internet, that led me to this page. I did get my personal best up to 298k but I can't get that machine verified so I started playing it on MAME. Wow, this was a major setback for me! My number one problem was getting a decent controller. I started out playing with an xbox controller but it was horrible. I bought a fight stick for about $35 hoping it would help. While it was better, it still gave a lot of trouble getting off ladders and trying to do directional jumps from a standstill. I did manage to get better at learning how to get points from the barrel boards, in fact, I got better in general, it was just impossible to put it together in one game.

Where I stand now... my personal best on MAME is 245K, which is my score on the High Score List. It took me forever to break 200k and I only did it once, right before I quit playing for the month of July to participate in Summer YOLO. I did get a new controller last week for the enf of YOLO, an X-Arcade Tankstick. Yolo ended Monday. Yesterday, Tuesday, I played Donkey Kong for the first time with the new joystick. After a few minutes of getting used to it I played one full game. I managed to get 227K on that first game and it felt so much easier. Today I managed another over 200K game with ridiculous deaths. I just feel very optimistic that I can actually start seeing some improvement in my game... at least, that's the dream!

Mainly, I'm playing because I love this game and it is still fun to me. If I never get a Kill Screen, I'm ok with that. Let's just see what I can do.

hooch66:
Good luck with your quest at playing and getting better. It makes me want to take the time and really work at improving my personal best.

NWnike:
What is your PB Hooch?

GILLYKONG:
Stop by next time I'm playing. We have allot in common. You should look into calculator implants.

hooch66:

--- Quote from: NWnike on August 01, 2019, 08:07:55 am ---What is your PB Hooch?

--- End quote ---

I need to look this up for sure but I believe I'm at the 220K range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version