General Donkey Kong Discussion > The Kong Off

How would you change the Kong Off ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

BillyGaines:
Sponsorship. I'd like to see  <Tim> get his day in the sun. 

homerwannabee:
If you are going to do double elimination, then it follows that the games need to be half as long.  So the shortening the game idea might be a good idea.  I say end it at 12-1 though because that's closer to the halfway mark than 10-1 is.

aarontruitt:
As someone who has never attended a Kong Off, I rely on the stream to view. The Classic Tetris World Championship has an incredible stream, but this is an entirely head-to-head competition with quick action-packed games and exciting commentary. DK just isn't a game that has this. I don't know what would make the Kong Off more attractive for viewers as it is such a slow game at the level that these guys play.

For me, I think that the online tournaments were the best part of DK. Having something everyone could play in was amazing. Maybe if we had different 'leagues' or levels based on your PB, we could make it fun for everyone, too. It wasn't about prizes or cash for me, it was about setting aside a week of the year to grind some DK and watch everyone else do the same. Really good for new players to get involved as well with so many people streaming.

For anyone who hasn't seen CTWC, check out this replay from the 2017 finals (gameplay starts around 7:40). I wish we could do a Kong Off stream like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgSitjDjk

dnickolas:
For all it's faults, caravan mode on the switch is fast paced enough to make it entertaining. 5 minutes. Get points.

Or a Start speedrun.

Boom, extra man for Jeff!

homerwannabee:
Ironically of all the Donkey Kong series games, the best tournament game by far is Donkey Kong 3.  Put that sucker on 5 man Hard Dipswitch (3) Hard settings, and it would be a far more riveting contest than either Donkey Kong, or Donkey Kong Junior on on some sort of dipswitch setting.  Most of the matches would last less than 30 minutes, and it would be just one game, (winner take all).

Edit: One of these days when life stops getting in the way I'll host a Donkey Kong 3 online tournament with cash prizes, and people will realize that's I was right, this game is a much funner game with 5 man Dip switch 3 settings(though I might leave it at 5 man easy dip switch 1 settings because it's harder to cheat that way).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version