General Donkey Kong Discussion > The Kong Off

How would you change the Kong Off ?

<< < (3/3)

jwade614:
I would do the playoff match ups differently. In the first round, the number 1 seed chooses among seeds 5-8 who he wants to play. Then 2 chooses, then 3. Second round, highest remaining seed chooses among the two lowest remaining seeds.

aarontruitt:

--- Quote from: homerwannabee on July 26, 2018, 10:42:31 am ---Ironically of all the Donkey Kong series games, the best tournament game by far is Donkey Kong 3.  Put that sucker on 5 man Hard Dipswitch (3) Hard settings, and it would be a far more riveting contest than either Donkey Kong, or Donkey Kong Junior on on some sort of dipswitch setting.  Most of the matches would last less than 30 minutes, and it would be just one game, (winner take all).

Edit: One of these days when life stops getting in the way I'll host a Donkey Kong 3 online tournament with cash prizes, and people will realize that's I was right, this game is a much funner game with 5 man Dip switch 3 settings(though I might leave it at 5 man easy dip switch 1 settings because it's harder to cheat that way).

--- End quote ---

I would play in this tournament.

Sock Master:
Just to put it out there, I think I know a guy who could create custom versions of DK for competition if there was an interest.

Shorter games, competition specific rules, specific challenges.. hell, even wacky stuff like in-game pace for the spectators or something even crazier - every competitor experiencing the exact same game and same RNG sequence..

Might be interesting for the spectators, and more interesting still to see how every player deals with the exact same events/randomness.  No unfairness about bad-RNG or good-RNG.

Milehighdt:

--- Quote ---I think the high score portion of the competition is important
--- End quote ---

Was keeping the high score portion for seeding in finals (love that last quarter drop)

--- Quote ---Shorter games, competition specific rules, specific challenges.. hell, even wacky stuff like in-game pace for the spectators
--- End quote ---

Maybe in setup you could chose when to end the game. The in game pace would be great along with men left and board on. Watching live or online it was hard to see these, but I think it should be displayed between boards in a large font.

--- Quote ---every competitor experiencing the exact same game and same RNG sequence
--- End quote ---

I don't think this would work out well. A player could just stall to to watch what his opponent experienced and adjust his play. You could pause the game and make the competitors enter each board at the same time but that would create more problems. Your Remix is great in how it doesn't touch how DK runs and I think any Tournament DK mode would have to stay true to that.

Like Dan's ideas of making the whole thing a better product.

lakeman421:
I would start with making changes to the stream, and the marketing first.  The Galaga competition had the same tournament format, and it was a success. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version