General Donkey Kong Discussion > The Kong Off

How would you change the Kong Off ?

(1/3) > >>

Milehighdt:
If you were in charge of making the Kong Off better, what would you change? What things need fixing and what doesn't ?

My list

1) Would like most of the top players attending
2) Top level strats used (not running boards)
3) hate the grind
4) love the head to head play
5) love the commentary
6) love last Quarter drop
7) love seeing everyone

My Change

1) Make the killscreen 10-1 for the Kong off
2) Change tournament to double elimination

Result (maybe)

Would help 1(maybe), 2, 3, 4(more games), 5(more games),6 (same), 7(maybe, more time less grind)

Barra:
Maybe introduce an element of speedrunning somewhere? Exciting to watch/play, doesn't take anywhere near as long. We could all meet WFLI

:)

VON:
I think the high score portion of the competition is important because it's necessary to seed the bracket and because it offers overall different gameplay style than what we see in the bracket portion.

However I love the idea of a double-elimination bracket, we'd just have to work out the timing and logistics. And when I say double-elimination, I do not mean the playing of best 2/3 between two players (that would be grueling), I mean something like this:

A double-elimination bracket of the above style would require a minimum of 14 matches for a Top 8 but of course most of those matches could be played simultaneously -- I think only 6 heats would be required. The players who advanced to the winners final would still be rewarded by playing fewer games, and the winners side player who made the grand final would essentially be up a game in a best 2/3.

danman123456:
1. Double Elimination would be the way to go.
2. Some type of handicapping in the qualifying round (Based on high score to date?)
3. Set times that people MUST play at so we can advertise the streams as well as put on the schedule for the event as well. Basically everyone is required to play from 4pm - 8pm Fri-/Sat vs this "play when i feel like it". IF you dont show up you forfeit half of any prize money you would be offered.
4. Have a dedicated meet/greet space along with times to get autographs and talk to players. Attendance is mandatory. Best to do when they open on Saturday - Say Saturday 11am - 12:30pm. This way its not just "random" for people to talk to anyone they wish to talk too.
5. Have mini head-to-head contests and winner of those gets a small prize money. Could also advertise them at a specific time say "6pm Friday - Mini rounds."  Everyone kills off there lives and gets to the last man after they get an extra man. Person who makes it the furthest wins. I.E. I get to lvl 13-6 everyone else must get there.
6. ADVERTISE - Get it online and at AE4.0 - A complete list of players and what there accomplishments are/etc.
7. Help streaming and dedicating people who will assist commentating. This can even be done within Discord/etc for online commentators.  :)

This is just a small sampling of ideas I have.

dnickolas:
1. Separate categories for Starts and Rest of Game.
2. Rest of Game rounds start on level 5 with a 100k start.
3. Starts are through Level 5, not 4, so you're really looking for 240k+ since your game ends after 5-6. That way every unique level is played once.
4. Start elimination rounds are "your best effort in 3 attempts" since RNJESUS is evil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version