General Donkey Kong Discussion > The Kong Off

New Kong-Off format idea

(1/4) > >>

dd0ck:
Might as well blow up this thread...

I was talking with Richie about a potential new format for the KO, a huge departure from the past to mix things up. Richie asked me to make a video and upload it to the forum to see your guys' thoughts. Just easier that trying to type it up, especially if nobody likes it.

Here's the idea:
! No longer available

Thoughts?

homerwannabee:
OK, I guess I'll be the first to chime in.  First, I had to watch the video twice to get a full understanding of what your proposal was in full.  It's definitely innovative, and different, but there are a couple of problems I see. 

1)This will created confusion.  You, yourself seemed confused on how to proceed with round 2.
2) Round 2 will be hard to set up.  You'd probably would have to have a whole bunch of lap tops to do these MAME save states.
3) Round 1 seems a tad bit unfair.  Donkey Kong can be an unfair game, and it's especially unfair when it's just one man.  Someone like Jason Wade could get a barrel to the face on the third level, and bang he's done.  A person who just knows how to run the boards with top hammer would have too much of a chance to win.  It really does become random when it's just one man.
4) Your 4 quarters idea sort of ruins the keeping it short reason for the idea in the first place.   Some players will be playing over 6 to 8 hours on four quarters. 

If people want to do this, I propose a test run.  Have this done on the wildcard machines.  Keep the main competition, but have a mini wildcard competition.  If people love it, and it's a hit, than maybe have it as part of the main event for the next Kong Off.

lakeman421:

--- Quote from: homerwannabee on January 22, 2018, 07:53:18 pm ---3) Round 1 seems a tad bit unfair.  Donkey Kong can be an unfair game, and it's especially unfair when it's just one man.  Someone like Jason Wade could get a barrel to the face on the third level, and bang he's done.

--- End quote ---

That was the point of the bracket sir. Anything can happen in just one credit...

homerwannabee:

--- Quote from: lakeman421 on January 22, 2018, 08:04:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: homerwannabee on January 22, 2018, 07:53:18 pm ---3) Round 1 seems a tad bit unfair.  Donkey Kong can be an unfair game, and it's especially unfair when it's just one man.  Someone like Jason Wade could get a barrel to the face on the third level, and bang he's done.

--- End quote ---

That was the point of the bracket sir. Anything can happen in just one credit...

--- End quote ---
Yeah, but 4 men is a whole lot different than 1 man.  True, anyone can have a bomb out game, but when it's reduced to one man it really does make it more random.

Barra:

--- Quote from: homerwannabee on January 22, 2018, 08:11:39 pm ---Yeah, but 4 men is a whole lot different than 1 man.  True, anyone can have a bomb out game, but when it's reduced to one man it really does make it more random.

--- End quote ---

But much, much more entertaining for the viewers

If I have a cab (which is looking likely) there is no way I'll be sitting there  for the full 2 days trying to grind out a big score. That's no fun for me nor anyone watching. Those not a part of the DK or CAG community don't know/care about the difference between 900k and 1.1m

Netherworld did it really well. I only played 3 credits the whole of Saturday, well under 3 hours of total play time.

I like your ideas, Dan. Definitely something to think about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version