Forum Archive > Team DKF IGBY Discussion

VS. Super Mario Bros. Discussion

<< < (2/6) > >>

VON:
Point-pressing by way of turtle hopping and/or timer manipulation is not especially skill intensive and it's boring as fk.  I would ban these two tactics.

The 5-life limit is also necessary otherwise it would be possible to go infinite.

I do not see any reason to ban wall-jumping or dictate which pipe must be used in 8-4.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: Thinking about this more, adjudicating the 5-life limit might be a pain in the ass.  Is there a more elegant solution?

xelnia:

--- Quote from: VON on June 25, 2016, 04:44:15 pm ---EDIT: Thinking about this more, adjudicating the 5-life limit might be a pain in the ass.  Is there a more elegant solution?

--- End quote ---

Since games will have to be checked for banned tactics, setting a lives limit doesn't really change the pain-in-the-assness. It's really a choice between a free-for-all (lame) and rules that require every INP be closely checked (tedious). I prefer tedious over lame.

xelnia:
I like the ruleset andrewg sent me:

--- Quote ---From what i was told, the main romset for the newer MAME version should be the one that is best to use (which is somewhat annoying because TG uses a flawed romset it seems). You should be able to score slightly higher with the new romset, so anyone who uses .106 would just be at a disadvantage. Where's a good place to download that vs smb romset? I'd like to make sure I have it and that it's good.

As for banned tactics, I've created a simplified version:
1) No shell abuse: You can kick a single shell away a maximum of 2 times, and cannot touch/destroy the shell after the 2nd kick
2) No finishing a stage with 000 on the clock: The game timer loops it to 999 and is not permitted.
3) No wrong warps/obvious glitches: Manipulating pipe/vine locations, floating shells, walljumps, wallclips, etc

Ruleset:
- Run ends on 5th death or game completion
- Coins for extra life: 100
- Starting lives: 3
- Timer: Slow
--- End quote ---

So, we would use those rules and require that only WolfMAME 175 be used.

VON:
I think the no shell abuse clause is a bit strict.  As it stands I think it makes it too easy to accidentally kill a game.  I would suggest 3 kicks and dropping the "cannot touch/destroy" part.

Am I missing something?  Why is destroying the shell after the 2nd kick such a problem?

andrewg:
Yes, this is why the run is a bit difficult. However, the only times I usually even risk kicking a shell 2 times is when going for long koopa combos and extra 1-ups.

I think the arcade rules allow for some leniency though (the definition in the NES ruleset is not directly in the arcade, but implied).

I think the rules I defined should stay as is, but if someone accidentally hit it an extra time oh well. Im not concerned unless theyre using it to get some extra 1-up, etc since the timer nearly will offset it anyway...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version