Related Games > DK and DKJR Remix

IMPORTANT: Possible incompatibity issue with DK Remix board

(1/7) > >>

Sock Master:
This just happened so I don't have full verification or details yet, but it's possible that there may be a compatibility issue if your DK PCB has a certain variant of the Z80 chip.

I don't know if this is common or rare yet.  I have investigating to do.

If you have a Z80 chip labelled "NEC D780C" on your DK PCB, the Remix board may not function correctly.

The solution most likely is to switch the Z80 with a different one.  My DK PCB has a "SHARP LH0080A Z80A-CPU"

Basically, I think anything that ends with an "A" will be fine.  A Z80 chip with a number ending with a "C" might not be.

If people can check their DK PCBs to see how common a "C" type chip is, I would be extremely grateful.  (especially anyone who's already waiting for their board to arrive)

If it's common, I'm going to maybe include a Z80A with each Remix board but it's going to delay things.

I'm sorry everyone.  I'm going to do everything I can to fix this.

Shnypz:
SHARP LH0080A Z80A-CPU over here

danman123456:
Yeah it was odd but looking here not sure there is a big difference. Both are 4Mhz. Hopefully its some issue with the Z80c vs a.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/346/NEC_Z80_4_MHz_(D780C-1)_vs_Sharp_Z80_4_MHz_(LH0080AH).html

Dan

Sock Master:
I found a piece of hardware that had an NEC D780C in it and pulled the chip out.
It does the same thing that was happening to you when I tried it in the DK Remix board.

So that's pretty definitive.  Something is different with the D780C, something about it's signal timing I suspect.

I'm trying hardware & firmware tests to see if I can find some sort of solution to make it work properly, but no success yet.  For now it seems this chip is simply not compatible with the DK Remix board.

f_symbols:
I just checked all 3 of my pcbs, all acquired from different sources at different times, and they all have the z80a; it's likely that this will be a very isolated occurrence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version