Other Lists > Steve's List Forum

A Trifecta of Steely Dan Lists

(1/2) > >>

stella_blue:

I've limited myself to one song per album (excluding compilations & live releases) on each of these 3 lists.  I've also imposed the restriction that a song may appear on one (and only one) list.  A few tough decisions had to be made.

I suspect that Steve will disagree emphatically with a number of my choices.

Favorite Track

Year        Album Title        Song Title1972Can't Buy A ThrillTurn That Heartbeat Over Again1973Countdown To EcstasyMy Old School1974Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic1975Katy LiedDoctor Wu1976The Royal ScamHaitian Divorce1977AjaDeacon Blues1980GauchoThird World Man2000Two Against NatureCousin Dupree2003Everything Must GoEverything Must Go
Least Favorite Track

Year        Album Title        Song Title1972Can't Buy A ThrillChange Of The Guard1973Countdown To EcstasyYour Gold Teeth1974Pretzel LogicThrough With Buzz1975Katy LiedThrow Back The Little Ones1976The Royal ScamGreen Earrings1977AjaJosie1980GauchoMy Rival2000Two Against NatureNegative Girl2003Everything Must GoPixeleen
Rarity Spotlight

Year        Album Title        Song Title1972Can't Buy A ThrillBrooklyn (Owes The Charmer Under Me)1973Countdown To EcstasyPearl Of The Quarter1974Pretzel LogicBarrytown1975Katy LiedYour Gold Teeth II1976The Royal ScamThe Caves Of Altamira1977AjaI Got The News1980GauchoGlamour Profession2000Two Against NatureJack Of Speed2003Everything Must GoSlang Of Ages

TheSunshineFund:
I'll just go with my favorite tracks so as not to offend  BibleThump .  I also didn't list anything after Gaucho.   Kappa  I like a lot of popular tracks, but I guess, they're popular for a reason.  Barrytown is seriously underrated though, I agree.  Green Earrings and Change of the Guard have awesome solos.   BibleThump  Josie is awful, I concur, one of my least favorite songs.

Favorite Track

Year        Album Title        Song Title1972Can't Buy A ThrillReelin' in the Years1973Countdown To EcstasyThe Boston Rag1974Pretzel LogicBarrytown1975Katy LiedBad Sneakers1976The Royal ScamKid Charlemagne1977AjaBlack Cow1980GauchoBabylon Sisters

stella_blue:
If I had made my selections within a year of each album's release, the list would have been quite different.  As time goes on, I tend to gravitate toward the deeper album cuts.

I was able to successfully anticipate 5 of your 7 favorites, based on prior discussion.

My 2 failed predictions:

Pretzel Logic    I thought you might go with "Any Major Dude Will Tell You"Aja    It was a tossup between "Black Cow" and the title track, but I guessed incorrectly

TheSunshineFund:

--- Quote from: stella_blue on November 25, 2014, 04:46:03 am ---

Pretzel Logic    I thought you might go with "Any Major Dude Will Tell You"
--- End quote ---

I always thought that would make a great cover by the Dead.  It has that Jerry feel to it IMO, especially the lead guitar tone.

TheSunshineFund:
Black Cow hype.  If you watch the Aja - Classic Albums episode they talk about this sample and how their agents advised them not to attend the awards ceremony where this rap duo won an award with the Black Cow sample.

Lord Tariq, Peter Gunz - Déjà Vu (Uptown Baby)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version