Author Topic: When Robbie gets the WR...  (Read 3088 times)

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
When Robbie gets the WR...
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:04:15 am »
... I think it will be very interesting for the next few months.  A lot of players that previously quit serious attempt could come back and go back at it (ie Vince, Sczerby, Ross).  Of course, if he feels like it, Hank may try to reclaim his title, but I can't really see it.  New players will also come out of the woodwork and join the donkey kong community as there will probably be a bit of news coverage after Robbie gets the world record.  This is just all speculation, and I'm not really sure what will happen to be honest.  What will be the effects of a new WR?
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

Re: When Robbie gets the WR...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:14:48 am »
I think a new WR would be great for the competitive community.  I think Robbie has a great story too; he has been enjoying a period of complete domination so far for 2014:

A #2 finish and a #1 finish during the span of three weekend tournaments is a great show of consistency.  Both his #2 and #1 finishes would've also placed first in DKO2.

I am very excited about not only competing in DKO4 but also watching as a spectator. It seems like it will be the most stacked online DK tournament yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:32:07 am by WCopeland »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
I would not be surprised if the record changes hands quickly after Robbie beats it. It could be beaten at least twice, maybe even 3 times, this year.

Hank has had the record for a long time, but now you have this crush of a half dozen people who are pooling directly beneath him. Lots of players converging on 1.14-1.15 capability at around the same time. No reason to think that if the record isn't beaten by much (like a few hundred or thousand) that one of the others won't grab it quickly thereafter.

As for media coverage, I'd lean toward conservative in my estimate of how much it would get. Hank got a lot of heat because KoK was still relatively recent and the idea of a doctor having the DK world record was interesting. Now though? It will hit Kotaku but could easily not go any further than that. I would say the two recent Kong Offs got more press than a new WR will.

Luckily, Robbie doesn't seem to care about that kind of thing. I don't think any of us are playing in order to get attention from anybody other that the rest of the community.  :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:16:13 pm »
I would not be surprised if the record changes hands quickly after Robbie beats it. It could be beaten at least twice, maybe even 3 times, this year.

Hank has had the record for a long time, but now you have this crush of a half dozen people who are pooling directly beneath him. Lots of players converging on 1.14-1.15 capability at around the same time. No reason to think that if the record isn't beaten by much (like a few hundred or thousand) that one of the others won't grab it quickly thereafter.

As for media coverage, I'd lean toward conservative in my estimate of how much it would get. Hank got a lot of heat because KoK was still relatively recent and the idea of a doctor having the DK world record was interesting. Now though? It will hit Kotaku but could easily not go any further than that. I would say the two recent Kong Offs got more press than a new WR will.

Luckily, Robbie doesn't seem to care about that kind of thing. I don't think any of us are playing in order to get attention from anybody other that the rest of the community.  :)
Yeah I also think that its cool that robbie is mostly doing this just for the benefit of himself.  I still think there will probably be a influx of new players after the WR.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:14:49 pm »
Hank's score has a curse on it that prevents it from being beaten.  It will not be beaten.

<Walter> No one, across that big length of time, will ever be able to beat, his, world, record.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »
Manziel gets drafted.  #beforehanksrecordisbroken.