Author Topic: Would it be legit to get the 1-1 record by using a savestate?  (Read 7078 times)

Donkey Kong Genius

Re: Would it be legit to get the 1-1 record by using a savestate?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 07:15:19 am »
Scott, that is very informative. Thanks. Unless it can be proven that the "seeding" for the upcoming barrel board is not the same, such as if someone wanted to use this save state at the end of the intro prior to the stacked monkeys, then I will remain on the no position. If it doesn't matter, and the seeding is just as random, I don't see why not on a technical level. But without some kind of absolute assurance from the code then it should not be aloud.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
Like Jeff said, input is ignored from the frame that you press 1P start until the frame that you get control of Jumpman, so the RNG is locked. This makes manipulation of a savestate possible because you can start the board with an input held down and be frame-perfect every time, thus getting identical output.

You can test this yourself. Make two save states, one at the monkey climb screen, and one at the stacked monkey screen (or at any point between pressing 1P start and getting control of Jumpman).

Load the first state. Put your finger on the "left" key and hold it down. When you get control, you'll run behind the oil can. Keep your finger on left. Now watch the fireball/barrels.

Load the second state, keeping your finger on left (again, making sure it's before you get control of Jumpman so that the input will be frame-perfect). Watch the fireball/barrels. They'll do the exact same thing they just did.

You could also try loading the first state, holding down right, watching what happens, then loading the second state and holding right. You'll get different outputs than when you held left, but that second set of outputs will always be the same when you hold right.

Obviously you can't get frame-perfect other than for having the input held down initially, but that's still plenty exploitable because the fireball's first decisions (plus wild barrels, etc.) would all be pre-determined until your input deviates. Seems like it would be minor, but as we all know, 1-1 is all about taking advantage of "minor" things.

So it should be totally out of the question to use a savestate that is made after pressing P1 start.

You must watch the monkey climb!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:23:28 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »
Based on all of the information given in this thread, I would have to say 'No'.  But of course, I yield my opinion in favor of whatever Tudose says.  He is, after all, my Canadian hero.  ;D

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger