Author Topic: Would it be legit to get the 1-1 record by using a savestate?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I once asked this question to Phil, and he answered:"Fking hell no! If I had to fking watch the intro again and again and again, you fking have to watch it too!"  Kappa

Even if we all know that the only opinion that is worthy is Tudose's opinion, I'm just curious if others would consider a 1-1 record legit if someone would be using a savestate in the beginning of 1-1 to avoid having to watch the intro after each restart?

Personally, I think that trying to get the record on 1-1 is fun with a savestate at the beginning of the level, but without savestate, it's fking boring. Only the Tudose of Ontario is mentally strong enough to watch the intro 1000 times per day  <Allen>

I think we should add a new track for Phil's record: 1-1 Tudose settings Kappa

Opinions?
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

Re: Would it be legit to get the 1-1 record by using a savestate?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:59:41 am »
I think topics like this are a prelude to a lot of uncomfortable questions that will be raised many years down the road from now.

When all original DK arcade boards have failed, how will any new players get the Arcade world record?  Will it be locked out, or will scores instead be divided by input method (4-way stick vs keyboard)?

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »
haha you must watch the monkey climb <mad>

honestly though i wouldnt make a big deal about it lol. this is very similar to what <Tim> does with his "arcade" setup, or mitch does with his d2k kit. tim doesnt kill off all his men when he dies, he simply resets the game from a switch on his board. he doesnt believe that quick resets cause any damage. as for the d2k kits im not very familiar with them. all i know is that you can reset the game quickly without turning the cab off. it ends up being just about as fast as restarting MAME
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 01:29:30 pm »
As long as the savestate is from before the seeding for the next screen is made, I'm fine with it, as that's the biggest factor.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Jeffw

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »
I would say no because you could make a savestate that gives the same good randomness every time.

As long as the savestate is from before the seeding for the next screen is made, I'm fine with it, as that's the biggest factor.

I think as soon as you enter the credit and hit start game the randomness for the start of the next screen will be determined, so the savestate would have to happen before this point, which doesn't save a lot of time.

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »
hm i didnt know thats how the rng worked for the start of the game. i just assumed it would be decided at the start of the board
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:54:29 pm »
It does not appear to be a poll issue. There must be something in the code that dictates the "seeding" that will occur in the upcoming level. If this happens before the save state then that should be disallowed. Though, another question I have is that we would need an inp, and if you record an inp, then you can't do save-states, correct?

Jeffw

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:21 pm »
The RNG is deterministic during periods where user input has no effect. So the "seed" for the randomness is essentially the frame at which you enter the credit and the frame at which you press start game. After hitting start game there is no more user input until the start of 1-1 so the RNG will be a deterministic sequence until you start messing it up with user input at the start of 1-1. However, if you do EXACTLY the same input the RNG will be exactly the same, so a savestate would make it easier to get the same randomness repeatedly.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:24:07 pm »
I would say no because you could make a savestate that gives the same good randomness every time.

I think as soon as you enter the credit and hit start game the randomness for the start of the next screen will be determined, so the savestate would have to happen before this point, which doesn't save a lot of time.

Thanks for the info! I couldn't remember when the seeding was determined, but I figured someone did. I guess it's pretty much a moot point then: You gotta watch the monkey climb!  <thefinger>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:17 pm »
Jump in the oil can or whatever!  <stirpot>  <mad>
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »
 <Sanders> My advice would be to leave savestates behind, leave ROY behind...and only play on real arcade machines...like the one at Funspot.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:20 am »

I voted "No", as I consider myself a DK purist (Arcade vs. MAME notwithstanding).
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline OzSteve71

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 05:40:31 am »
I think you need to ask the most serious question..... What would JCB do?

Cheat :-D
Member for 11 Years

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 05:41:31 am »
Though, another question I have is that we would need an inp, and if you record an inp, then you can't do save-states, correct?

You can record an INP that begins from a save state.

Let's say you want to practice the Level 05 elevator board, and record the results (using WolfMAME 0.106 and save state "e", created during the "stacked monkeys" screen prior to L5-4).

This command should work:

mamep106-vc dkong -state e -record dk_elevators_54.inp

Proper playback requires both the INP and STA files:

mamep106-vc dkong -state e -playback dk_elevators_54.inp

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline d3scride

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:51 am »
I would only say no just because I'm not sure how it would affect the board seed.
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer