Author Topic: What happens to a badge when a record holder loses their record?  (Read 8153 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Does the badge vanish or will it change color, and say something like former world record holder?  For instance Hank Chien may very well lose his record in the next couple of months if things continue to shape up like they have.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: What happens to a badge when a record holder loses their record?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »
the badge would be transferred to robbie's account
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:01 pm »
Yes.

This has actually happened a few times now, including Jeff Wolfe losing the NH WR to Jon McKinnell, and the Crazy Kong arcade record.

Also, from what I've been seeing on FB, something tells me that Hank isn't the only guy you're worried is about to lose a WR badge! :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »
Yes.

This has actually happened a few times now, including Jeff Wolfe losing the NH WR to Jon McKinnell, and the Crazy Kong arcade record.

Also, from what I've been seeing on FB, something tells me that Hank isn't the only guy you're worried is about to lose a WR badge! :)

Yep, my DKJR MAME badge may very well be toppled by Corey Chambers pretty soon.  Strangely I wish him the best.   I am a big picture person, and see any record being broken as an enrichment of the competitive history of that game.  Also those who get a really high score on a game share a bond in a way because they know exactly what it takes to get a score like that, and so have a respect for their fellow player that is not the same as a novice player.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:41 pm »

I'm a slut
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:26:16 am »
Thanks George. I think that maybe if someone has held a record for a a set number of years, or just in general, that there could be some badge that tracks who may have held a world record in the past. But I can also understand if the forum badges only track the currect WR holders. Even if I get the MAME WR on Junior, which almost happened yesterday, I can't imagine holding it for years. Depending on how good of a game I have it I may have to beat it or wait for it to be beat to get it back. But my main sites is to figure out how to get 1.4 on this thing without having to sack all my men.

hchien

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:01:32 am »
something tells me that Hank isn't the only guy you're worried is about to lose a WR badge! :)

I'm not really worried about losing the record (or the badge lol).  For quite some time, there have been several players capable of beating my score including myself.  I don't claim to be the best DK player, nor do I feel that I *own* that record.  I have not beaten it myself partly to silence the people who criticize me for beating my own scores but mostly because I lack the motivation and I'm getting busier at work and would prefer to spend my free time doing other things.  I'm honestly surprised the score has held up this long (almost 2 years now).

I look forward to seeing some new world records and attempting to get it back.  Summer (now) would be a good time for me to play (hint hint hint Robbie) as it's my offseason at work.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:58 am »
Hank, for those people who criticized you upping your own record, what was their logic?  It makes no sense to me.

Of course you should push your own record, until you can push no further, or you just get bored ;).

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:47 pm »
Hank, for those people who criticized you upping your own record, what was their logic?  It makes no sense to me.

Of course you should push your own record, until you can push no further, or you just get bored ;).

I agree completely.

I only wish you had changed the spelling to Furthur, as a touching GD tribute.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:10 am »
Hank, for those people who criticized you upping your own record, what was their logic? 

The logic is usually along the lines of:

- you should let other people have a chance

- poor sportsmanship/being a bully

I've ranted before about why I feel these are nonsense, but yeah, doesn't make any sense to me either.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 09:11:03 am »
Hank gave us a chance to beat his record for 2 years. Robbie, myself, Ross, Jeff Wolfe and Jeff Willms got close, but couldn't beat it over that big period of time. That's how good Hank is.  <Billy>
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:48:29 am »
Since l so-called debuted on the scene at Richie Knucklez in 2009, there hasn't been anybody who's played even close.  <Billy>   Kappa

Spectator Hank Chien gives DK a go.
[Credit:  <Pigger>]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:50:32 am by hchien »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 01:08:52 pm »
Just to play devil's advocate, I think I can understand the thinking on that side.

People know that the game can be maxed out, and that it's getting close-ish. I think they just want to see at least one new person hold the record before the max-out. But if Hank continues to push the score up until it can't be beaten anymore without a major freak game, then there's no shot at that "wow, new Donkey Kong champion!" moment.

I have to admit, I'm really curious to see how the world outside of CAG will react, in 2014, to the DK record being broken. It's been a long time since KoK, and you won't have that "smart plastic surgeon guy" angle. So I would suspect that it will get a fraction of the outside interest that it did in 2007-2010.

Personally I like that Hank continued to push the record up, with all these other guys busting their asses at DK, because it makes the top spot seem that much more elite. A lot of back-and-forth would cheapen it somehow.

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »
Hank, for those people who criticized you upping your own record, what was their logic? 

The logic is usually along the lines of:

- you should let other people have a chance

- poor sportsmanship/being a bully

I've ranted before about why I feel these are nonsense, but yeah, doesn't make any sense to me either.

Amen and amen. I'm also one for not kowtowing to pressure that one ought to "let up and be nice". Push yourself and push your competition, that's what makes it both fun and meaningful for me.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:58 pm »
Push yourself and push your competition, that's what makes it both fun and meaningful for me.

Before you make a run at Hank, maybe you should worry about catching me, tough guy.   ;)

No need to call security, I'll show myself out.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer