Author Topic: Slow Donkey Kong Jump Button  (Read 8945 times)

SunDevilDog

Re: Slow Donkey Kong Jump Button
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:10 pm »
You have a beautiful setup. I'm very envious :(

Aw shucks. If you are ever in Phoenix, please let me know so you can stop by and we can play some games.

Offline jumpman

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »
I like to have the TKG-23-10 Nintendo microswitch for the jump button. Theses have the roller on the end of the leaf.
http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TKG-23-10
DK Arcade 606,200
Zookeeper 750k

http://www.twitch.tv/shigerumiyamoto
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
Nice DK machine. I should re-do the t-molding on mine. It's still the original molding which is now a yellowish color and all chipped.

Careful! When I replaced mine, it was so brittle, it chipped off and almost took out my eyes several times!

haha...thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to wear protective eyewear.
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger

SunDevilDog

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:29 pm »
The issue you are describing was actually intentionally implemented into the code.  There is a fraction of a second that Mario is not able to jump again, after hitting the ground from a prior jump.  You can see an animation for a few frames, of some lines back by Mario's rear/feet area, after he jumps.  As long as you can see these lines, you cannot jump again.  It's a very short time, but it is just enough to mess you up sometimes.

I tried playing a few games tonight and this was exactly the right advice. After he jumps, there are little sparks at the back of his feet and you cannot jump again until they go away. You have to time your jumps a little opposite of what your natural instincts are and jump a few milliseconds later rather than sooner. It almost looks like the barrel is going to run you over, but he clears it!

Thanks again mikegmi2!

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 05:24:18 pm »
The issue you are describing was actually intentionally implemented into the code.  There is a fraction of a second that Mario is not able to jump again, after hitting the ground from a prior jump.  You can see an animation for a few frames, of some lines back by Mario's rear/feet area, after he jumps.  As long as you can see these lines, you cannot jump again.  It's a very short time, but it is just enough to mess you up sometimes.

Backjumping, or early jumping, can also assist in the problem you described.  The closer you can land to the barrel after jumping it, without dying, the better.  This will always leave you with the most room/time to jump additional barrels rolling at you.

Hope this helps.

This does help! I knew I was not going crazy! When it happens, it is like Jumpman is stuck and his feet are firmly planted in the ground. I am going to look for the lines and learn to time my jumps better. Thank you!

No prob, good luck, and nice machines!
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer