Author Topic: I decided to an analysis of 100 of my men in Donkey Kong  (Read 19264 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: I decided to an analysis of 100 of my men in Donkey Kong
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 09:22:17 am »
OK, after fooling around with two hammers, and also experimenting with the conveyor hammer, I think I am going to go for a modified approach.  I won't do two hammer, but I will now do Pie factory hammer when I can't get a free pass, and I will start to collect the prizes on level 2, and 3 for the elevator stages, and also jump one extra time when the timer hits zero.  I used to do it twice, but now I see it is perfectly safe to jump 3 times on the level 5+ Rivets.  I suspect that over the long run of a game I can get an extra 20,000 points.  Which means I could probably hit 885K or so just doing that alone.  Enough to focus on getting the killscreen in my opinion.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:04 am »
OK, after fooling around with two hammers, and also experimenting with the conveyor hammer, I think I am going to go for a modified approach.  I won't do two hammer, but I will now do Pie factory hammer when I can't get a free pass, and I will start to collect the prizes on level 2, and 3 for the elevator stages, and also jump one extra time when the timer hits zero.  I used to do it twice, but now I see it is perfectly safe to jump 3 times on the level 5+ Rivets.  I suspect that over the long run of a game I can get an extra 20,000 points.  Which means I could probably hit 885K or so just doing that alone.  Enough to focus on getting the killscreen in my opinion.

It's possible to jump 4 times on any rivet stage, and not suffer a death due to "timing out".  In fact, if the timer reaches 000 during your first jump, you can still squeeze in 4 more, for a total of 5.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
I will now do Pie factory hammer when I can't get a free pass

You should probably be doing this anyway, even when running boards.  Vincent Lemay might tell you otherwise.  Ignore him unless you want an 800K first killscreen. 

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:55 am »
It's possible to jump 4 times on any rivet stage, and not suffer a death due to "timing out".

Just make sure you're in the air when you remove the last rivet.  The timeout death only occurs when you're on the ground.

Back when I was still learning on my cocktail cabinet, I had my PB game of 442k end stupidly when I tried to walk to the rivet after 4 jumps, killing me in the most embarrassing way possible.  Pull that last rivet out with a jumping finish!
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:36 am »

Just make sure you're in the air when you remove the last rivet.  The timeout death only occurs when you're on the ground.

Back when I was still learning on my cocktail cabinet, I had my PB game of 442k end stupidly when I tried to walk to the rivet after 4 jumps, killing me in the most embarrassing way possible.  Pull that last rivet out with a jumping finish!

Excellent point, Shaun.  I should have mentioned that.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »
I find also if you pulled the top rivet and have the rivet below waiting to be pulled I usually do 2 jumps after time has expired then jet down the ladder and hope to avoid the fireball that was waiting on the other side. I leave the bottom rivet in most times to increase my leach time if the fireball goes up the other ladder.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »
Can someone explain why you are allowed to do 4 to 5 jumps?  I mean in the first level the most you can do is 5 jumps, and time goes 2 and half times slower.  So shouldn't it be 2 or 3 jumps in regards to the clock?  I don't get this.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 05:38:36 pm »
The extra time at "000" is the same on every board and every level (with the exception of barrel boards, I believe).

Once the timer hits 000 you have 257 frames with which you can enter inputs. A full jump cycle lasts 48 frames. This means you can actually jump 6 times (5 leech + 1 rivet clear) if you start exactly at 000 and every jump is perfectly timed. The 6th jump would occur 240 frames into the 257 frame window, so as long as you're in the air and clearing the rivet you're fine.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:40:13 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 05:43:48 pm »
The extra time at "000" is the same on every board and every level (with the exception of barrel boards, I believe).

Once the timer hits 000 you have 257 frames with which you can enter inputs. A full jump cycle lasts 48 frames. This means you can actually jump 6 times (5 leech + 1 rivet clear) if you start exactly at 000 and every jump is perfectly timed. The 6th jump would occur 240 frames into the 257 frame window, so as long as you're in the air and clearing the rivet you're fine.

OK, than, I have been leaving a lot of points on the table!  Good to know!

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »
OK, it's been awhile, but I am back at it.  Did another 100 man review.  My style has changed since last time.  OK, I have gotten better on what I consider the most important stage.  The elevator stage.    I now pick up the two left prizes, and my success rate is up.   OK, I guess it's time for the stats.

I passed 930 out of 1030 boards.  Not a record, but still almost back to where I was when I pulled off my near killscreen.

I passed 424 out of 462 barrel boards for a 91.77% success rate.  Close to a record!
I passed 183 out of 215 rivet boards for a 85.11% success rate.  This was my downfall.  The rivets can be streaky. This run they were going against me hard.  I had a couple of angry moments thinking "How is it possible that the rivets are screwing me over so badly?"  I don't know, but they were.
I passed 171 out of 182 elevator boards for a 93.95% success rate.  A new record!  The elevators are no longer the issue for me.
I passed 183 out of 215 pie factory boards for an 88.88% success rate.  I am happy with this rate as well.

Also

I reached level 12 four times.  A new personal record!
I reached level 11 five times.  A new personal record!
I reached level 10 eight times.  A new personal record!
I reached level eight 16 times.  A new personal record!
I reached level seven 18 times.  A new personal record!

This time I didn't have any big breakout games, but I still saw marked improvement, and if I can get the rivets back in line, getting a killscreen would not be so hard.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:48:35 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard