Author Topic: The King of Kong  (Read 4965 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
The King of Kong
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »
Just thought there ought to be a thread about this. People can add funny parts they like or whatever, or just discuss inaccuracies and some of the fallout of the movie. I'd be really interested to hear from people who were either active in the community during when all of this took place or else people who started playing DK before, during, or really close after when it all took place.

To start it off, here is the (a) script to the movie: http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/a1/the-king-of-kong-script.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:10:55 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: The Kong of Kong
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
In other news, I found this: http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/03/king-of-kong-michael-bacall

Does anyone know if this was the play that was posted earlier? It sounds like it's an actual movie. If so, that would be interesting!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »
I always thought the KoK movie remake was kind of a weird idea.

In any case, it would be even weirder to make it now, considering that the competitive DK world of 2013 doesn't even resemble the competitive DK world of 2003-2007.

As for KoK, I have way too much to say about that movie! It's one of several "one of these days" projects for my blog.

In a nutshell, I think it's great, it does not distort the truth as egregiously as people say that it does, the principles of good filmmaking and good storytelling absolutely *required* most of the distorting that WAS done (including cutting Tim Sczerby), and in the end, they had a right to make the movie that they wanted to make.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:04 am »
Despite enjoying Donkey Kong, I didn't find this movie too terribly entertaining. However, that might just be because of the number of lies I was informed were in the movie beforehand. It seems a little silly to tell lies in a "documentary".

Also, shouldn't it be "The King of Kong"? ;>
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:52:44 am »
I still to this day think KoK was a great doumentary. I've studied it up and down from when it was first talked about in early 2007, seen it countless times of course, met the stars several times, and spoke with many of the co-stars, and to this day I don't really see why there is a belief that this was "full of lies". There were a few inaccuracies, twists, some things left out that wasn't really pertinent to the point/plot.

There are a some that made their own decisions that the doc was full of lies, and there are those that accept that it was full of lies because that is what they were told to believe.

For the most part, now, in 2013, it's all over and done with.

But some of the key stuff that is complained about is:

(1) Tim Sczerby (I'm sorry he was left out of the scoreboard list, but it just didn't play into the controversary/plot, beating Billy by 20K was not a threat nor reason to investigate)

(2) The number one thing that sparked investigation of Steve Wiebe was not that he beat the DK world record, but that he scored 1 million points before Billy had a chance to.

(3) It doesn't matter how somebody got into a garage, but what does matter is that people were even sent to go check out a machine in the first place. And Dwayne was caught flat on camera saying Billy sent him but he couldn't go. Those are the type of things that sparked interest in making the documentary.

(4) The anger by some of the characters about the movie were that they admitted something to a camera and that was then shown in the documentary.

(5) Twin Galaxies was never smeared by this documentary, it was the best promotion they've ever had.

The great part about this documentary is the history it gave on CAG, the spark it created for CAG, the competiviness shown that exists in the world of CAG, and like it or not, the methods some will go to challenge a score made on a CAG game and the hurdles someone had to cross to validate oneself.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: The King of Kong
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »
Haha, I totally didn't even see that typo...maybe Jeff has a way he can fix it.

Edit: I may have semi-fixed it (?).