Author Topic: DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney #1  (Read 24867 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney #1
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 06:54:39 am »
So what's the deal with the cleaning lady in Bubbles?  I only manage to pick up the broom from that witch about negative infinity percent of the time. 

Well, supposedly if you touch the part of the sprite that is the broom first you will get it, but I swear I do that and don't get it 20% of the time, so I dunno. If you learn to anticipate when she exits the drain, you can position yourself right outside the lip of the drain and get is nearly every time for some reason.

A tip for those not aware: In regards to growing your bubble, ants are worth a little more than the crums and the oils spots.

Mitch, I understand you are accepting arcade scores as well in the competition. Keep in mind that, like many Williams titles, you will experience a slowdown in the gameplay when the game has to draw a lot of sprites using the arcade hardware which doesn't happen on MAME. Also, the arcade uses a 49-way (I think it's 49, same as Sinistar) which is of course superior to playing on MAME with an 8-way. So, if you play on arcade you are playing at a distinct advantage. For instance, my pb on MAME is just over 300k after many (like over 100) attempts, but when I played on arcade I got over 400k on just 2 tries.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:14 am »
So what's the deal with the cleaning lady in Bubbles?  I only manage to pick up the broom from that witch about negative infinity percent of the time. 

Well, supposedly if you touch the part of the sprite that is the broom first you will get it, but I swear I do that and don't get it 20% of the time, so I dunno. If you learn to anticipate when she exits the drain, you can position yourself right outside the lip of the drain and get is nearly every time for some reason.

A tip for those not aware: In regards to growing your bubble, ants are worth a little more than the crums and the oils spots.

Mitch, I understand you are accepting arcade scores as well in the competition. Keep in mind that, like many Williams titles, you will experience a slowdown in the gameplay when the game has to draw a lot of sprites using the arcade hardware which doesn't happen on MAME. Also, the arcade uses a 49-way (I think it's 49, same as Sinistar) which is of course superior to playing on MAME with an 8-way. So, if you play on arcade you are playing at a distinct advantage. For instance, my pb on MAME is just over 300k after many (like over 100) attempts, but when I played on arcade I got over 400k on just 2 tries.

I can confirm that there is a very noticeable difference in the speed of gameplay between MAME and arcade but Bubbles cabs use an optical 8-way joystick. It is not 49-way like Sinistar.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:52 am »
Also, the arcade uses a 49-way (I think it's 49, same as Sinistar) which is of course superior to playing on MAME with an 8-way.

Nope.  Bubbles used an 8-way optical joystick.  The 49-way was used on Blaster and Sinistar.  Common misperception that gets repeated often, likely because of the feel of the optical stick and the programming that makes your bubble feel slippery on the sink.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 08:38:31 am »
Andrew, are you submitting this score? Would you happen to have the inp, or did you submit it to a scoreboard that verified it? The "only using screenshot" option was mainly meant for people who played on arcade and didn't have a chance to stream their game -and even then it was to be open to be discussed by the group as a whole as to whether or not the score seemed genuine.

Yeah, Mark, thanks for confirming my suspicions. Zerst had made a comment like this in another thread, that's why I'm gonna be listing what platform scores were achieved on. I may actually fully separate the lists if we get a big enough number of good arcade scores, but for right now I'm running on the assumption that most everyone will end up playing on MAME.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:13:20 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:52 am »
Oh yeah its on RU and also I was streaming at the time. Ill highlight any scores I submit. Disregard this one if you want.
Cheers
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:15 am »
Ah, ok. Do I need to sign in to see the score on RU? Haha, I gotta try to remember my account info for over there... time to play the password guessing game!  <YSG>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 09:08:26 am »
Hasnt been approved yet unfortunately but once its approved you dont have to sign in to see the scoreboard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:52 am »
I watched the 192k game live on Twitch, if that means anything.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 10:56:16 am »
Ok, cool. Adding to the list. I trust it was normal settings(?). If not, we'll find out when RU looks at it.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
Nope.  Bubbles used an 8-way optical joystick.  The 49-way was used on Blaster and Sinistar.  Common misperception that gets repeated often, likely because of the feel of the optical stick and the programming that makes your bubble feel slippery on the sink.

Well, fk. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've read that a few places, sorry for perpetuating that falsehood.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 02:06:07 pm »
I have been playing some tut on my mame cab at a mates house, best so far is 24,000 or so,
But yesterday afternoon I noticed it was a 3 button game and I only have 2 on my cab,
Once I hook something up I can see if the lightning will help boost my score.
Not sure of the difficulty settings it's on but it's 3 man for lives.
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 04:44:04 pm »
I have been playing some tut on my mame cab at a mates house, best so far is 24,000 or so,
But yesterday afternoon I noticed it was a 3 button game and I only have 2 on my cab,
Once I hook something up I can see if the lightning will help boost my score.
Not sure of the difficulty settings it's on but it's 3 man for lives.

Tut is actually a dual joystick (and one button) game - one 4-way for movement, one 2-way for fire, and one button for the lamp bomb thingy.

MAMEdev only recently became aware of this and changed its configuration.  Now, while it's not really important how you set things up to play on MAME, it is important to note that with the button configuration for fire, a player can shoot both directions at once, which of course is not possible with a joystick configuration.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:27 pm »
Ok, cool. Adding to the list. I trust it was normal settings(?). If not, we'll find out when RU looks at it.

Every game on RU is default settings which you cant change in score mode. Score mode is the only way to submit to the scoreboard

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:49 pm »
Thanks for explaining these things about RU to me... I'm afraid I haven't done my homework and gotten to know that site very well (I have nothing against it, just haven't checked it out much).

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »
No probs just let me know if you have any questions about it.