Author Topic: DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney #1  (Read 24850 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney #1
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:20:43 am »
Ok guys, the games have been picked! They are: Bubbles and Tutankham!

Now, the point of this endeavor is to have good competition while also helping everyone improve at the games. Feel free to share knowledge that you've acquired here, in this thread, as we go along.

The "tournament" starts tomorrow, April 1st, and runs until June 31st at midnight (3 months), so you have plenty of time to get in games and slowly (or quickly!) improve. All scores can be either attached here in this thread or posted on a CAG scoreboard site such as MARP/Retro Uprising (preferably both linked here and posted somewhere else) and I will keep a running list of the leaders. Please at least post here to inform us when a score is achieved so that you can point us to MARP/Retro Uprising (if you only submit the inp there). If anyone plays on arcade, please either stream the game and post the link or else post a picture of the final score here and we will hopefully be able to accept the score using the honor system (if something is obviously fishy, it may be rejected). Please play the parent rom version for both games on the TG settings (hopefully this is also equivalent to the true default settings *EDIT* It is not! See here *EDIT*). If there is any confusion or questions about the roms, please ask them here, and I would call upon people more knowledgeable than myself in these areas to help me figure out any difficult problems.

As of right now there is no prize except for bragging rights, but monetary prizes may arise in the future. The main point is to push one another and have fun, so game on!

Bubbles TGMS Scores

1. 396,790 Dalar (MAME)
2. 192,960 Andrew Barrow (MAME)
3. 72,670 Jeremy Young (MAME)

Tutankham TGMS Scores

1. 65,000 Jeremy Young (MAME)

Tutankham TGTS Scores

PLEASE NOTE!!!:

Pre-MAME 0.145 default settings for Tutankham are 1/easy, so you'll have to change the setting to 2/normal for TGMS or to 4/hardest for TGTS! Post-MAME0.145 default settings are 2/normal, so you only have to change it for TGTS.

Also, MAME currently allows the firing of lasers in Tutankham in both directions simultaneously. This tactic is disallowed for this "tourney", but since this isn't some hardcore tournament, there will be leniency given if the tactic is employed in a way that appears to be unintentional -especially if it has no real bearing on the attempt. If something iffy comes up, we will collaborate on the specific issue as a group. Again, the main point is just for everyone to get better and have fun while playing in good faith.

Lastly, obvious rules apply such as no pausing or slowing down the game speed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:02:15 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: DKF CAG-Tapping Tourney #1
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:42 am »
Hey Mitch is it alright if we play the games at Retro Uprising and post the pic here or something?

Cheers
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:29 am »
Sure, that's fine as well! I'll add that to the first post.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:48 am »
Please play the parent rom version for both games on the TG settings (hopefully this is also equivalent to the true default settings). If there is any confusion or questions about the roms, please as them here, and I would call upon people more knowledgeable than myself in these areas to help me figure any difficult problems.

We should probably make a clarification on Tutankham. TG has 3 separate tracks with conflicting information in the DIPs for one track. MAME versions before 0.145 have different default settings than MAME versions 0.145 and later.

Setting   
Factory

TGTS - Arcade

TGMS - Arcade

TGTS - MAME

Pre-MAME 0.145

Post-MAME 0.144
Lives
Cabinet
Upright
Upright/Cocktail
Upright/Cocktail
Upright
Upright
Upright
Bonus
Difficulty
2 or 4*
Hardest*
Easy*
Normal
Flash Bomb
1 Per Life
1 Per Game, Extra at 30k
1 Per Life
1 Per Life
1 Per Life
1 Per Life
Demo Sounds
On
On
On
no specification
On
On
Coin A or Coin 1
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play
no specification
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play
Coin B or Coin 2
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play
no specification
1 Coin/1 Play
1 Coin/1 Play

*TG explicitly lists the difficulty as 2 for TGTS, but gives DIPs that would set the game to difficulty 4 (ON-ON). The factory manual lists difficulty 1 as "easy" and 4 as "difficult." MAME lists them in order as Easy-Normal-Hard-Hardest.

Also, MAME currently allows you to fire the laser in both directions simultaneously, something not possible on the original cab. This should be fixed in the next release (0.153), but we should have some rule or guideline against that for now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:14:10 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:21:18 am »
Thanks, Jeremy! I figured someone would let me know if they noticed something was up. How about this: We track both TGTS an TGMS for arcade and MAME. Everyone needs to play TGMS on difficulty 2/normal and the TGTS on difficulty 4/Hardest. Sound good? So, if people use a MAME that is pre-MAME0.145, they'll need to change their difficulty settings no matter what, but if they are playing post-MAME0.145, then they'll only need to change it for tournament settings.

This brings up if we want to do some sort of TGTS sort of thing for Bubbles as well... is there some sort of 5-man track? I know the game is not really marathonable, but I was just wondering.

Also, Zerst brought up the fact that the MAME emulation of Bubbles is much harder (was this for all versions?), so I'm thinking we'll need to track the Arcade and MAME separately for that title (I was gonna mark up what platform scores are achieved on anyway, but it'll just have added importance if this is the case). If everything is good, I'll switch up the first post to align with these facts.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:53 am »
Just saw your edit about firing both directions... I will mark that this is disallowed in the first post as well.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:09:15 am »
Bubbles 96890

lit?  <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 09:37:32 pm »
OK, so we've got just a short while until this thing starts. We'll have the start/end time on central time for my sake, so that means we begin in like 22 mins. Who's gonna stream some?!!!

As far as verifying scores, let's try to work together and disperse the load, since I will be starting up a new job soon. I will probably keep a list of submitted scores that need to verified and remove them as they are dealt with.

Lastly, quick question: I know how to view inps, but how does one actually check to make sure the wfl file matches up and check for total time and whatnot -you know, make sure there's now actual fishy stuff going on that you can't just see by watching the inp? Scott, Jeremy, any help?

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:30:57 am »
Lastly, quick question: I know how to view inps, but how does one actually check to make sure the wfl file matches up and check for total time and whatnot -you know, make sure there's now actual fishy stuff going on that you can't just see by watching the inp? Scott, Jeremy, any help?

WolfMAME106 comes with two executables: wlfview and wlfview32. The first is a command-line version. To use it, make sure the INP and WLF are both in the the main WolfMAME106 folder/directory you're using and type "wlfview <inpname.wlf> <inpname.inp>", where "inpname" is the name of the files you're trying to verify. For wlfview32, just double-click it and it will run through a GUI where you can select the files you want. Both will versions will give you info on the version of MAME, the operating system the game was played on, the number of frames and recorded speed, and whether the INP matches the WLF file. The command-line version will also tell you if cheats were enabled, but I'm not sure the GUI version will tell you that.

For total time in WolfMAME106, you'll actually have to calculate it from the numbers of frames yourself. They added in a hh:mm:ss.00 clock in later versions of MAME, but I'm not sure which version it starts with.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:25:18 am »
Excellent! Thank you very much!

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 02:38:46 am »
Damn I thought the comp had started when I posted that score above (it was actually the 1st April here, but not for you guys yet)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:03:00 am »
Sorry, I should have clarified that right away. Don't worry, with 3 more months it's almost certain you'll not only beat your score but crush it as well.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:38 am »
Yer buddy. Marky D's 260k is goin down!
Kreygasm

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 03:12:44 am »
So what's the deal with the cleaning lady in Bubbles?  I only manage to pick up the broom from that witch about negative infinity percent of the time.  BibleThump

Do you have to hit her when she's facing you or something?  There must be a system to consistently get that broom.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:36 am »
Yeah that old grandma is pretty selective with that damn rake or broom or whatever it is

Love it?