Author Topic: Just a question  (Read 5188 times)

Quakecomm

Just a question
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »
So I'm new to donkey kong, and I was wondering, if I was going for a score using the MAME emulator, what rom file/MAME version/controller should I use?

Drunkguy89

Re: Just a question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »
https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=653.0

Every thing you need to know can be found here ^^

and to set it all up...view this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfV1Wdc2aM

And Welcome!  :)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
So I'm new to donkey kong, and I was wondering, if I was going for a score using the MAME emulator, what rom file/MAME version/controller should I use?

Excerpted from the DK List Submission Rules topic:

Normative Rules: The normative rules are the most preferred manner for scores to be submitted to the High Score List.  It is the player's responsibility to be familiar with these rules and follow them as precisely as possible.

5.   All MAME submissions are to include an attached zip folder with the .inp and .wlf files.

6.   All scores achieved on MAME may be done on ANY version of WolfMAME using only the "US Set 1" ROM set.  Other MAME programs are excluded.  If you are looking to submit your recorded INP to Twin Galaxies then you will need to use WolfMAME Plus 0.106, the only officially approved version of Twin Galaxies.

8.   4-way controls must be used on both the Arcade cabinet and through MAME.  The "dkong" ROM for MAME is already set up to limit inputs to 4-way controls, whether played with a joystick or a keyboard.  Any attempt to modify the "dkong" ROM for this or any other purpose will be rejected.  Arcade players are to use 4-way controls only, requiring the 4-way restrictor plate.  8-way controls will be rejected.

EDIT:  Forgot to say "Welcome to the forum!"  Honestly, where are my manners?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:47:19 pm by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »

Hi! Welcome to the Forum!

The most accepted version of MAME is WolfMAME .106. It has built-in functionality that disallows pausing while recording and also creates a separate .wlf files that allows more thorough verification. Donkey Kong US Set 1 (dkong.zip) is the rom you should be using for official scores.

As far as controllers go, it's a mixed bag. The top MAME players use the keyboard as once it's mastered gives more precise control than can be done with a joystick.

Many people use an X-Arcade joystick and some of us have custom MAME cabinets with regular arcade controls.

Again, welcome, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Quakecomm

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 01:52:39 pm »
thanks for the answers and the welcomes! :)
edit: one more thing, all download links ive found for wolfMAME 0.106 seem to have trojans in them, anyone have a safe d/l link?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:23:37 pm by Quakecomm »

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
The zip has no trojans in them. its just the wlfview32.exe

The exe can show details of your pc for example cpu type/cpu speed date and time so that's why your anti virus thinks its a trojan.

Maybe you can just ignore it in your anti virus software or shut it off for some time delete it and turn it own again.
You don't need the wlfview exe to play the game.

Oh and welcome :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Drunkguy89

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »
 ;D I was suspicious of those warnings too when I first started playing MAME, its completely safe and we all get those anti virus warnings the first time setting up MAME.

I had to download WolfMAME83 today to view an INP and got virus warnings, its safe.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 02:46:44 pm »
Yeah, that's a common issue. Just ignore it and create an exception if your virus program doesn't like it.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »
thanks for the answers and the welcomes! :)
edit: one more thing, all download links ive found for wolfMAME 0.106 seem to have trojans in them, anyone have a safe d/l link?

As long as you're getting WolfMAME from http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/ you can be sure it's safe. My AV software still flips out with some of the files, but I usually just add them as exclusions or turn off my AV software temporarily as the problems arise. The direct link to WolfMAME 0.106 is here. Don't be afraid to use the newer/newest versions of WolfMAME as well. We will still accept submissions for newer WolfMAMEs (if you're interested in submitting).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer