Author Topic: What is the story on this Red Donkey Kong?  (Read 5971 times)

SunDevilDog

What is the story on this Red Donkey Kong?
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:07 am »
The auction says it is a red Donkey Kong, however, the speaker grill does not look correct to me and it looks orange really. What do you guys think? Besides it not having the original board it in, is this a legit red DK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Nintendo-Multiple-Arcade-Machine-Donkey-Kong-Donkey-Kong-Junior-DK3-/301118930245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c163d45

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: What is the story on this Red Donkey Kong?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:22:30 am »
Bezel looks correct.  Serial plates can be changed, etc, not sure about anything else,  I think for the later reds the speaker grille is ok but someone else probably is better suited to comment.  I'm pretty sure that model of grille means it was never a Radarscope cab.  I don't see a 1k price tag when the PCB set and marquee at minimum are not original to the red DK.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:26:39 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

SunDevilDog

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »
Thanks for he info pwnasaurus!

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:31 pm »
Questionable.

The bezel looks right (no copyright, which is how they are on the reds), but the CPO has a copyright, meaning that, if it IS a red cab, it's not the original CPO.

Sideart is almost certainly repro.

If he's telling the truth about the serial plate (why not take a picture of it?), then #01408 would be a red serial.

Either way it's overpriced without the original hardware, and unless they're using two very specific adapters, the wiring is going to be hacked to shit too (if not replaced completely) to accommodate the JAMMA board. Whoever decided to take an original red DK and swap out the PCB and marquee and wiring for that multi-cheese is a criminal.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:15:03 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

SunDevilDog

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »
Questionable.

The bezel looks right (no copyright, which is how they are on the reds), but the CPO has a copyright, meaning that, if it IS a red cab, it's not the original CPO.

Sideart is almost certainly repro.

If he's telling the truth about the serial plate (why not take a picture of it?), then #01408 would be a red serial.

Either way it's overpriced without the original hardware, and unless they're using two very specific adapters, the wiring is going to be hacked to shit too (if not replaced completely) to accommodate the JAMMA board. Whoever decided to take an original red DK and swap out the PCB and marquee and wiring for that multi-cheese is a criminal.

Thanks, that is some very useful information. I agree completely, it makes me sad to look at it like that.

I do have all the parts in my mini-warehouse to restore it back to original. I don't know if I feel like taking on another project though.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:01:18 pm »
From what I understand there were both 5 and 7 slit speaker grill red dk's. The 5 slits number 500 or so and the 7's 2000. I dont remember where I got this info though so it may be total BS. My red DK is a 5 slit and I am about 90% positive it is an original conversion. The color on that one looks right but I have seen fakes that looked right to.

I've had offers over 2k for it and I have a buddy that sold a bare cab for 2k so the price is not crazy if its real.

-Ken 
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:46 am »
wasn't the red originally Radar scope with the 5 grill speaker hole. that's your one isn't it ken.. oh yer. And I painted mine Red Love it
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

SunDevilDog

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:22 am »
From what I understand there were both 5 and 7 slit speaker grill red dk's. The 5 slits number 500 or so and the 7's 2000. I dont remember where I got this info though so it may be total BS. My red DK is a 5 slit and I am about 90% positive it is an original conversion. The color on that one looks right but I have seen fakes that looked right to.

I've had offers over 2k for it and I have a buddy that sold a bare cab for 2k so the price is not crazy if its real.

-Ken

So that serial number would make sense. Thanks for the info!