Author Topic: Maybe this is a dumb question....  (Read 9064 times)

Offline MickyWinz

• Awards
Maybe this is a dumb question....
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:20 am »
....but, is it possible to stream a game on twitch and record it on your computer at the same time.  If I was recording on my computer for TG and wanted to stream it at the same time can I do that?  Sorry, Im new to the whole streaming thing, but Im getting a little better  :)
1,045,900 Arcade
Member for 11 Years DK 1M First Man DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
Re: Maybe this is a dumb question....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:35 am »
Well, yes. Monitor/screen capture of wolfmame for the stream and you choose the "play and record" option when starting DK in wolfmame.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:00 am »
....but, is it possible to stream a game on twitch and record it on your computer at the same time.

I know this is possible with XSplit, however I don't know about OBS. So, someone who uses OBS will have to weigh in.

If you're using XSplit, click on "Broadcast" and then click the gear icon next to your stream name. In the new window that pops up, check the box at the bottom that says ""Automatically save recordings on local drive". To see where your recordings are saved, click on the "Tools" menu and look at the bottom of the "General" tab. There should be a box that says "My Recordings" with the folder location where those recordings are saved.

If you're using the free version of XSplit, I believe local recordings are saved in FLV format with an "XSplit" watermark. If you buy a license the watermark should be removed and you can save them in MP4 format.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Drunkguy89

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:50 am »
Its also a feature in OBS, under broadcast settings there is a box mid way down called "save to file" once ticked it will record to your computer as well as stream.

(not to be confused with *mode*) leave that to live stream.

Offline MickyWinz

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:08 am »
Thanks, guys! Lets say the online stream gets choppy as it does from time to time.  I wonder if that would mess with the recorded feed and thus make it somewhat invalid when it come to submitting it to TG?
1,045,900 Arcade
Member for 11 Years DK 1M First Man DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »
In OBS you can do stream, file, or stream+file.

I record all of my games to the hard drive whether I stream them or not, then save or delete them depending on whether anything interesting happens. Keeping the file output turned on is a good idea because the broadcast copy is always "choppier" than the local copy, which probably has to do with either the connection or how Twitch processes the video, I don't know.

The only problem is that if the stream goes down, like if your Internet connection dies, you'll get an error and the recording will stop. I hate that. It should just alert you that the connection has been lost, but continue to record to the file. Maybe I'll suggest that to them.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener