Author Topic: Donkey Kong Wildcard Tournament Rematch #2  (Read 65343 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Wildcard Tournament Rematch #2
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 09:32:12 am »
Ben your not in the wild card group! lol

Be cool if you played though!

" - Any contestant may register for this contest as long as they do not have an officially validated Twin Galaxy score of 1,000,000 points or higher on Donkey Kong (this includes scores achieved at the Kong offs). This rule applies at all times up until the start time of the contest. If a registered contestant achieves an officially validated Twin Galaxy score of 1,000,000 points or higher prior to the start time of the contest, they will be unregistered from the contest and will not be allowed to participate. "

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:50 am »
So Bens  Millon point score was never sent to TG.   But they noticed it and made him a Main players in the Kong Off 2?

He must have another high score there for DK then.  I don'nt know all the high scores for DK..  I used to check it  but the site has been down for like 6 months.

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2013, 09:57:01 am »
It's true...my 1M game was recorded and ready to submit to TG, but I chose not to send it in.  Don't worry, I'm not that big of a threat at the moment.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
It's true...my 1M game was recorded and ready to submit to TG, but I chose not to send it in.  Don't worry, I'm not that big of a threat at the moment.

It does seem like you are having your cake, and eating it too.  You have a score that qualifies for the Kong Off, but since it is not verified you are also qualified for the million, and under challenge.  Yes, it seems you are following the letter of the law, but not necceserilly the spirit of the law.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2013, 10:53:32 am »

It does seem like you are having your cake, and eating it too.  You have a score that qualifies for the Kong Off, but since it is not verified you are also qualified for the million, and under challenge.  Yes, it seems you are following the letter of the law, but not necceserilly the spirit of the law.

Well, if they don't want me to participate, I won't.  No hard feelings.  I'm a hell of a lot worse than Ross (yes, I know he was a wild card player) and I don't even have the highest score of all those who are registered right now.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »
First off, let me say I think you should be allowed to participate in the contest.  Nothing you have done goes against the rules to be in the contest.

Having said that, you are still getting in by means of a loophole, and you know it.  The fact that you have a tape of over a million points, and did not send it in is classic Billy Mitchell sandbagging.

I'll give you an analogy.  Say they had a Donkey Kong Junior contest, and the only people that could be in this contest are people who have never killscreened the Arcade game.  Well, in that rule I would be allowed to participate because on the Arcade version I have never killscreened Donkey Kong Junior.  I have done it over 20 times on the MAME version, and yes I do have a 1.23 million score on the Arcade version as well, but that game was not a killscreen game.  Yes, technically I can participate in that sort of contest, but the fact is I really shouldn't participate in a contest like that despite the fact I technically qualify for the contest.

You know I am into tennis.  I enjoy it a lot.  I actually have participated in what is called a B level tournament.  This is for people who are recreational players.   Last September I entered for the second time a tournament like this, and got crushed 6-0, 6-2.   I didn't even have a chance.  This despite the fact that I was playing 6 sets of tennis a week for 6 months straight.  There are about 5 or 6 guys who enter this tournament who have no business entering this tournament.  I am talking about former champions of this tournament who continue to play despite winning the entire B level tournament.  These guys are sandbaggers, and despite the recreational term, no "recreational" player will even have a chance at winning this tournament.

So yeah, most definitely you should be allowed to play.  But the tournament name is Wildcard Tournament challenge #2.  This tournament was made intentionally to exclude the Kong Off competitors.   The loophole is there for you to enter, but be advised that among some of the players you will be as welcome as Steve Wiebe in Billy Mitchell's restaurant.

On a last note.  I could enter this tournament, but I am on the other end.  For me it would be a waste of peoples time just entering my super pathetic 200k sum score.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:32:21 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »
I did'nt want my remarks to come of Negtive on Ben playing in this event.  I really don'nt mind him playing in the event.     I did'nt like being told i could'nt be in the first rounds wild card events becouse i was'nt at the Kong Off 2 .

Inless something changes I can see Ben a lock for the Kong Off 3 ...    Seems like the same players for the most part where in the event from the first Kong Off .

I would like to see Eric Howard playing in this event .. Yes i know he made the main field of the Kong Off 2   but he has a score of Under a Millon if i recall right.

I think he will be a wild card player next year...

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
Sandbagging?  You really think I withheld my score in case something like this happened to pop up?  That's insane.  Like I said, I don't even have the highest score in the list and nobody's bitchin' about that.  There are several people who have equaled or surpassed my skill level.  It's likely that I'm not even qualified for KO3 as it stands and I definitely shouldn't be.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »
Sandbagging?  You really think I withheld my score in case something like this happened to pop up?  That's insane.  Like I said, I don't even have the highest score in the list and nobody's bitchin' about that.  There are several people who have equaled or surpassed my skill level.  It's likely that I'm not even qualified for KO3 as it stands and I definitely shouldn't be.

Like I said, you should be allowed to play in this tournament.   Also, I think Steve Szerby should be allowed to play.  It's not about the tape.  It's the fact you can get over 1 million, and still are entering this.  I also think ANYONE verified or not that has claimed a million point score is sandbagging if they enter this tournament.

Here is my definition of sandbagging.  Entering a competition that is meant for lessor skilled players in which you are overqualified for.  Like my tennis analogy, there were 5 or 6 players in that tournament I felt were sandbagging because they were overqualified for that competition.  But here is the thing.  I think they should be allowed to be in that tournament because the tournament makes it an honor system where the player self evaluates their skill level.

So yeah, I feel you are overqualified for this along with anyone else who has gotten a million point score verified or not.

But hey, here is the brass tax in this whole thing.  This is an argument over semantics.  In the end I think you should be free to enter this tournament, but I wanted to make my feelings known on the issue.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:22:15 pm by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
Fair enough.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2013, 05:53:15 pm »
I think DK has enough short-term randomness (much more than tennis or chess, for example) that for a one-day tournament, having one or two above-the-field competitors in there just makes things more interesting.

A couple other things: Estel's PB is 999,800, which of course is effectively a million. He was also invited to the KO2 but couldn't make it. For all intents and purposes, he's in exactly the same position as Ben, though he isn't technically at a million.

I would also add that several players in this contest are *capable* of a million points, they just haven't gotten it done because the right game hasn't come together yet.

Mike Grosbeck got to 923K, on pace for a million. He is obviously capable (you don't get 92.3% of the way there if you aren't!). Then you have players like Mitchell who have all the necessary skills, they just simply don't play often enough to close the deal. Getting that first million is a numbers game. You can be good enough to do it without having put in enough trials to actually do it.

And there's a big difference between players who've gotten a million or close to it on one or two occasions (Ben, Mike) and players who've done it dozens of times and/or who can sustain significantly higher pace (Dean, Hank).

I'd say that Ben is just about right in line with the top 3 or 4 players in this, all of whom are in that "close, or just over, once or twice" category.

Ross is really the only player who truly outclasses the field, but he should play too. It will be interesting to see if he can crush two of these in a row, or if Kong will be cruel that day!

The thing is, even though Ross is easily better than many players who have scored a million or more, as far as I know (and I may be wrong), Ross hasn't actually scored over a million! From what I've gathered, Ross pretty much always plays at full force/maximum risk right up to the end and doesn't care so much about actually completing the game, so he's never lived long enough to cash in the potential of games that are going at insane pace.

So, in reality, it's all a lot more complicated than the million-point cutoff. John and Eric are doing that, I think, simply because it's the simplest way of keeping the super-elite at bay.

The fact is, there's a wide range of ability in this tournament. It's unavoidable. There is a significant gap in skill between the best players, those in the middle, and those at the bottom. I don't think ensuring a level competitor field is the point here. Many will participate who have no shot at winning, and I think they're okay with that. :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

JohnTheLawnMan

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
Ben Falls is 100% without a doubt welcome with open arms into the DK Wild Card Rematch #2.

Thank you and good day.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »
Ben Falls is 100% without a doubt welcome with open arms into the DK Wild Card Rematch #2.

Thank you and good day.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Yeah, I didn't say anything about the Organizers.  Just said "Some players".  Meaning a minority of players probably feel this way.  Most likely "Most players", do feel the same way you do.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:13 am »
I think it would be sweet if Ben participated!  This is about video games and having fun competing with friends...and as long as the rules are being followed as setup by the organizers...the more the merrier!

Also I like the Mr. Wonka reference John...
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer