Author Topic: Nintendo Arcade Conversions  (Read 2427 times)

DiggingInNY

Nintendo Arcade Conversions
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
I'm sure that this has been brought up before, but with all the popularity of emulation and releasing classic arcade titles for the various home consoles through compilation discs or online stores, it seems like Nintendo is only major company that has never bothered to release their library of arcade titles for home console use. What ends up getting released are the NES ports, which for the most part, do not come close to their arcade counterparts in terms of difficulty. I'm not a Wii owner, but it would be cool to see the arcade ports of Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Mario Bros, Nintendo vs. System titles, etc. released for their Wii systems. I've heard that Nintendo does not own the code to these games. Is this true for every arcade title they've released or for a select few? Though I could care less, I think Nintendo can make good money on this.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Nintendo Arcade Conversions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »
As far as I know, there are some legals issues specific to DK's code that are unknown, and it has to do with some sort of settlement over when Nintendo used and modified the DK code to make DKjr and got sued by the people who wrote DK's code.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DiggingInNY

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »
Interesting, any word regarding issues with their other titles, such as Punch Out!, Super Punch Out!, Mario Bros, etc? Of course I'm not including Popeye, because of licensing issues.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »
I brought this issue up, and said it was a mistake for Nintendo not to port these, and a couple of people on Facebook who are not even involved in Nintendo said I was ignorant, and that doing so was not a money maker for them because porting would cost too much.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:14:49 pm »
Nintendo no longer has the rights to the arcade version of DK, and by extension, Junior (since much of Junior's code is borrowed from DK).

This was the final ruling after about 8 years of litigation by the ghost developer Ikegami Co., who sued Nintendo when they started making DK boards (instead of buying them from Ikegami like Nintendo agreed to) when the game took off.

Since Nintendo doesn't own DK arcade anymore, they can't and won't ever sell it again.

Sheriff, Radar Scope, and DK (and chunks of Junior) were all engineered by Ikegami. Their arcade stuff after that should all be fair game, since they had a different developer, but in the case of a compilation or something like that, Nintendo most likely just doesn't want to deal with questions about the absence of the game that made them, so I think they're just shrugging and moving on...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:53:24 pm »
So is this why Nintendo didn't go after D2K? Because it's really Ikegami's turf now? Even though Nintendo doesn't have the rights to the arcade code, I imagine they would still own rights to the visual aspects of the game...the characters and "look" of the game. Couldn't they just rewrite the game to look and play the same, but with different underlying code?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:47 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that Ikegami has moved on to being like a cellphone company or something completely unrelated to the gaming industry now. I don't think they care at all about whatever rights they do have to DK's code. I remember looking into this early on when I decided to make the DK manual.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:30 am »
Considering how litigious Nintendo is, the fact that they looked the other way at D2K strongly suggests that it's because they had no power to do anything about it.

Nintendo knows that if push came to shove and they actually took it to court, any half decent defense lawyer would quickly find out how the ITC vs. Nintendo case ultimately came down, and Nintendo would lose because they have no claim to ownership of the code that Jeff remixed.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener