Author Topic: Donkey Kong Junior Patterns  (Read 15426 times)

Donkey Kong Genius

Donkey Kong Junior Patterns
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:06:49 am »
As most of you should know by now my little break from DK has turned into a mission to learn Donkey Kong Junior. I wanted to create this thread for the patterns that I am working with, to see if you guys have used them, or have other ones you would like to suggest.

First. I decided to learn the fast pattern on the springboard level, and then created variations that addressed if I had made a mistake in its perfect execution. So, if I missed the first smash with the banana, or if the bird came out on the top, or if I missed a bird with the apple, or missed the first smash opportunity with the apple.

Mainline: http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3553618
Top Bird Variation: http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3553630
Missed Yellow Fruit Smash: http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3553650
Missed First Red Fruit Opportunity: http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3553695
No Red Fruit Smash: http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3553706

The No Red Fruit Smash seems to have two different variations. The first is shown in the video, the second just requires more timing on that drop to the bottom. I will post more as I develop how I decided to handle these different situations that may arise. There is still work to be done here.

Second. I originally began my approach to the blue chains in the same manner as Graham Wolfe which starts out with the attempt to get the first lone key all the way to the top and then proceed to the last lone key, and if he can't succeed with the first, then he drops and then proceeds to the last lone key and if time permitting maybe push up the second grouped keys as he waits.

I started using what I call the Riley Pattern because I basically saw him use it. It is basic and the same... push the second grouped keys up close to the top and then proceed with the last lone key. Once I began to use this pattern, my success percentage increased. http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3556278

This evening I was playing around with the Riley Pattern, and noticed that when pushing the second grouped keys up, as long as there are no red snappers coming down, you can actually just push it all the way to the top every time. I only named this the Corey Pattern because I modified another pattern, and have not seen anyone use this exact form before. Maybe someone has.
http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/3557005

Please comment, share your ideas, and post your patterns that you like to use.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Junior Patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:26 am »
This clip was from 2009, and was the first pattern that I developed that was safe and got all of the fruit smashes. Of course it is dependent on getting the superjump on the first try and execution, but as I remember, it was very reliable. You will notice the huge gap this pattern leaves for going down for the fruit on the long chain. I would recommend giving this a try for new players not necessarily going for huge points, but trying to get further into the game.

jr "safe" pattern
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:06 am »
Good stuff, this is a great post, Keep it up!
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »
I don't play DKjr a lot, but why is it that I don't see more patterns crossing over the birds (as they fly down the screen) at the *top* of the vines? Is it really that hard to tell the patterns of the birds and which ones are the trackers and which one's will go high or not on their own?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:29:04 pm »
I don't play DKjr a lot, but why is it that I don't see more patterns crossing over the birds (as they fly down the screen) at the *top* of the vines? Is it really that hard to tell the patterns of the birds and which ones are the trackers and which one's will go high or not on their own?

Are you talking about the springboards?  I go top across for the most part until forced down.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:21 am »
I developed two new patterns which I used this evening to get 498,600 by running boards. These are designed for beginners so that they can get passed the birds the same way every time.

The "Free-Pass" Bird Pattern

Donkey Kong Junior: The "Free-Pass" Bird Pattern

This one is the most common and will make your killscreen attempts much easier.

The "Bob and Weave" Pattern

Donkey Kong Junior: The "Bob and Weave' Bird Pattern

You must also know this pattern if you attempt for the "Free-Pass", because this variation will occur every now and then. It basically requires you to move in and out to get to the end before that top bird is released. Thankfully, this happens the same every time.

The previous bird patterns in my first post was more advanced and for point pressing. These are for beginners looking to survive.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:26:22 pm by Donkey Kong Genius »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:02 am »

Are you talking about the springboards?  I go top across for the most part until forced down.

Yeah, springboards. I mean crossing the gap while at the top, though.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:52 am »
which gap
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:10 am »
Mitch, you have your basic tracker birds, but there are non-trackers that could randomly come through the top which you can not assume, which makes crossing the top all the way more risky than it needs to be. Besides, with the fast pattern, the mainline I shown, one is already maxing out the time potential.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »
which gap

Where the birds fly down the screen (as opposed to across the screen i.e left)
Mitch, you have your basic tracker birds, but there are non-trackers that could randomly come through the top which you can not assume, which makes crossing the top all the way more risky than it needs to be. Besides, with the fast pattern, the mainline I shown, one is already maxing out the time potential.

Yeah, there are 2 tracker birds, but then the other birds have set height levels (or at least I thought they did), so isn't it possible to know if you can cross on the top if you know there will be no bird there (neither a tracker or a non-tracker-high-up-bird)? If so, then you won't need to climb down and then up again. The fruit is 800, right? and it takes like 600-700 on the timer to go down then up again, so it's not a bad trade, but it would just be boss to use on a speed run.

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »
OK I see what you mean.  Yeah, the birds change according to your position so unless you hit the standard pattern from the get go and play exactly the same as well, you are subject to a variant bird.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »
Shane had brought up to me while working with the Free Pass/Bob and Weave Patterns that if you don't get the spring jump on the first try, you can still get back into the same patterns if you get the immediate second spring jump with the insta-jump over to the moving pole as opposed to waiting. Here is the video as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UduHzAgGzw#

Does anyone know how to embed these?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:17:00 pm by Donkey Kong Genius »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
Does anyone know how to embed these?

Take the "s" off of the "https"
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 11:25:02 pm »
Ok, a new development in thought this evening. I had proposed that the Bob and Weave bird pattern occurred on its own. However, one can get the free-pass scenario every time as long as you do not go too high on the moving pole, or too high too soon for that matter. For some reason, going up to a certain point before the pattern triggers, will actually cause the Bob and Weave scenario. In other words, you should be able to get the free-pass pattern every time.

Also, it has been seen that if you get up on the third jump and wait, or up on the fourth jump and do the insta jump, you will be able to know where it is in the pattern, and be able to initiate the free-pass at the proper moment. Beyond the fourth jump, you may get the "patterned' variation, or lots of spaced birds. 

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 08:07:13 pm »
On at least three occasions I had missed the timing to get to the fruit for the double smash on the second tier on Mario's Hideout, the one that has the 100 or 1200 point potential depending on your timing. I found that there is a 9 lap cycle. In other words, if you miss the pass where you would do the jump, you just need to count off 8 more passes, and run for it so that you are in place for the jump on the 9th pass. This should help to recover the points and to get that fast spark for when you get to the third tier.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:26:36 am by Donkey Kong Genius »