Author Topic: Slope of the girders?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Slope of the girders?
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:14:34 am »
I know barrel speed gets faster by the time you're at level 5 it's maxed out. I was wondering say on levels 5-21 barrel boards does the slope of the girder you're on affect the speed the barrel moves? I did a standing jump that should have killed me and I cleared it. I'm talking the barrel distance between the two was maybe a pixel or two beyond another barrel width apart. I'll post the video later because I'm laying down for bed but are there places on the girder where a standing jump can be performed  more safely due to the slope of the girder to allow the barrels to move quicker? Before this jump I would have said the barrels move at a constant speed but now I'm not quite sure.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
Re: Slope of the girders?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:26 am »
I'm pretty sure the barrels roll at the same velocity in any level... I might be wrong but I at least have never noticed the barrels moving faster
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:58 am »
The easiest way to guage this is watching other barrel roll on the girders above and on the girder in question. If they don't move apart from each other then it's constant. To me, they are constant, even though girders 3 and 4 may be steeper slopes, the 'x' value which controls the left & right movement  stays constant. Now "ALL" barrels get a little faster at high level.

Of course if this was "real physics", everytime a barrel dropped to a new girder and changed direction, starting at speed '0', there actually be acceleration in the x direction affected by the sine of the angle and gravity. That would be cool see a barrel board with real physics applied.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:37:10 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:02 am »
I'm pretty sure the barrel speed is the same regardless of level or girder.  It is possible to do a standing jump over 2 barrels that are separated by a few pixels even on L1.

There may be other factors that allow you to jump "farther", I'm not sure.  But barrel speed isn't one of them.

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:14 am »
Yeah it's one of those things I figured was a constant but know the best answer would come from people on here. You guys break things down way more than I ever could. BTW heres the video. http://www.twitch.tv/bliss1083too/c/3483168

lakeman421

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:33:38 am »
You must have hit the jump button harder than usual, that would do the trick

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the barrel speed (on the girders) is constant, however, I think they do change horizontal speed as they go over the edges (even before they land and actually change direction). If it is at all possible to get more utility out of a standing jump, I think one may be able to jump a greater span of barrels if you are hanging over the end of a girder, since, any barrels passing underneath you would also be falling down and away from you -effectively giving you a few more pixels of safety.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »
Haha. Lakeman, I agree I must have. I didn't know if momentum shifted at certain spots. Sort of like when you can double jump a single barrel right before it falls off the ledge up top. MarinoMitch correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you discover that a double jump of a single barrel could occur in the exact same spot where I did this jump? Either way it's nothing big, just thought maybe there might be a little cushion for a vertical jump in some spots vs other spots.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »
Yeah, I take back my first statement of barrel speed increasing with levels. The only thing that increases is the speed they are released.

You made that jump because you timed it perfect, right before the collision boxes touched.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »
Yeah Dave. I think I just hit right on time. Barrels don't break apart at varying slopes. Just thought I'd ask. I actually did the same barrel jump just now on 1-1. So I guess it's just about the limits

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:08:51 pm »
MarinoMitch correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you discover that a double jump of a single barrel could occur in the exact same spot where I did this jump? Either way it's nothing big, just thought maybe there might be a little cushion for a vertical jump in some spots vs other spots.

Actually, that spot is to the right of the bottom hammer. I technically didn't discover that a double jump of a barrel was possible -I merely put 2 and 2 together and realized it was still possible to execute with the first jump being a *standing* jump (rather than the normal/easier back jump first). Here is the link to the thread about it I posted (it also has my video and a picture I made to show how I time it): https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=559.0 :)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer