Author Topic: Under rated Donkey Kong players  (Read 5290 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Under rated Donkey Kong players
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:28:01 am »
OK, I have noticed that in Donkey Kong sphere there are some people who have not gotten as much attention as they probably have deserved.   I decided to make a little list of people who I think deserved more attention through the years, but for whatever reason didn't get it.  Also I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest.  It's not the end of the world that these people are not more known to the general public.  Life does go on, and I am sure that most on the list are just fine with the attention they have gotten.   When I am talking about Donkey Kong in this context I am talking like someone who would talk about under rated boxers, or under rated football players.  No personal agenda, just trying to create an outside the box fun topic. 8)

Dean Saglio:  Yeah, I know he has had some shining moments, but considering that he simply is the greatest Donkey Kong player to ever walk the face of the earth he definitely is under rated in the eyes of the population at large.

Ross Benzinger: The man merely has the 2nd best Donkey Kong Arcade score in existence, and ranked 2nd in the Kong Off, but unlike the other big time Donkey Kong players he never had a documentary team, and he's never really made national attention for his exploits.

Allen Staal: Some might say "But wait a minute he gets tons of viewers on his streams, and he is well beloved in the community."  I agree true enough, but outside of this community how many people actually know about Allen?  He gets very little press, and again no documentary crews are following him around despite his very entertaining personality.

Tim Scerby:  Yeah, I know that 90 percent of his posts are about how he was robbed of fame, and money by the King of Kong crew, but truth be told he is the only former Donkey Kong champion that almost no one knows about.   He never did really have his moment in the sun like every other current or former Arcade champion has enjoyed.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

Re: Under rated Donkey Kong players
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:17:36 pm »
OK, I have noticed that in Donkey Kong sphere there are some people who have not gotten as much attention as they probably have deserved.   I decided to make a little list of people who I think deserved more attention through the years, but for whatever reason didn't get it.  Also I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest.  It's not the end of the world that these people are not more known to the general public.  Life does go on, and I am sure that most on the list are just fine with the attention they have gotten.   When I am talking about Donkey Kong in this context I am talking like someone who would talk about under rated boxers, or under rated football players.  No personal agenda, just trying to create an outside the box fun topic. 8)

Dean Saglio:  Yeah, I know he has had some shining moments, but considering that he simply is the greatest Donkey Kong player to ever walk the face of the earth he definitely is under rated in the eyes of the population at large.

Ross Benzinger: The man merely has the 2nd best Donkey Kong Arcade score in existence, and ranked 2nd in the Kong Off, but unlike the other big time Donkey Kong players he never had a documentary team, and he's never really made national attention for his exploits.

Allen Staal: Some might say "But wait a minute he gets tons of viewers on his streams, and he is well beloved in the community."  I agree true enough, but outside of this community how many people actually know about Allen?  He gets very little press, and again no documentary crews are following him around despite his very entertaining personality.

Tim Scerby:  Yeah, I know that 90 percent of his posts are about how he was robbed of fame, and money by the King of Kong crew, but truth be told he is the only former Donkey Kong champion that almost no one knows about.   He never did really have his moment in the sun like every other current or former Arcade champion has enjoyed.

LOL I give Allen Press all day long...

I am on his Skype all the time ..I have helped him big time

Plus it does not help where he lives
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:24:42 pm by Simpsons99 »

Zetherman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:35 am »
I give Allen Press all day long...

Does allen staal have any articles about him ? curious if there are any.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:22:48 am »
Though I think this topic is kinda awkward, I'll participate.

This one's easy:
Tim Jackson

Confused who I'm talking about? That's because he's severely underrated. ;)

"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

tom bradley

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:59:21 am »
If Dean Saglio is on this list I think Jeff Wilms and Robbie Lakeman should be as well. Both can put up VERY high scores VERY consistently. Watching Robbie stream to get in the Kong Off was some of the best DK I've seen, an inspiration to all DK players!

hchien

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:53:53 am »
I think your list is more under-publicized than under-rated.

Yes Dean deserves to get more attention, but I don't think he is underrated (considering most people consider him the best, how can he be rated higher?)

I've always considered Ross a top DK player.  His scores just never reflected that until recently and too many people put too much weight into high scores.

My pick would be Kyle Goewert.  Just look at his standings from the last few KO's.

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:12:30 am »
Wolfe and Willms.
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
Ben Jos Walbeehm and Jeff Wolfe.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
I think it would help to remember that, in actuality, no DK player has ever received mainstream publicity based on their ability at the game, and that won't be happening anytime soon.

It's going to be a long time (if ever) before gamers get face time based on their merits and achievements as gamers. This isn't the NFL, and the culture doesn't understand it. Having a compelling story and/or a colorful personality is what gets you filmed or written about.

CAG stuff seems to make a good *backdrop* for stories, but it has never been (and may never be) THE story. Not to anyone outside of the hobby anyway. (This is what Tim doesn't understand about why the King of Kong was actually made, why he wasn't in it, and that the movie isn't about the history of the Donkey Kong world record.)

Having said that, you're actually definitely on the right track to mention Allen! Allen could carry a TV series, for at least a season anyway...

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Munteanfo

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
As for Hank, it's very understandable that he got a lot of attention when he got the world record and after, since the general public is obviously not used to see a successful harvard/plastic surgeon to succeed that well in gaming competition. It obviously makes a very interesting story. And to see a meathead trying to kick his ass and fail so bad at it also makes a funny story! lol

Edit: Yeah it's Vincent again, as always. Fk
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:06:50 pm by Munteanfo »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »
Edit: Yeah it's Vincent again, as always. Fk

I just think of your screen name as "Munteanfo" now.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:47:32 pm »
I agree with the Tim Jackson. I always wanted to know about this really good old school player! Really because he's around my skill level and wondered if he might have ever got a kill screen or not.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:47 am »
I agree with the Tim Jackson. I always wanted to know about this really good old school player! Really because he's around my skill level and wondered if he might have ever got a kill screen or not.

Totally. I've tried looking him up a few times on the net, but, alas, there's just not that much you can go off of. Maybe we need to have Cat try to find him.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:23 pm »
The names really common and I'd say he is at least in his late 40's. If only he did any events in the 80's where someone might know him. I'd love to see Tim sczurby ask Dwayne if he knew him. Also just to see if he might have used the ladder cheat on his run. I might ask Dwayne through YouTube if I think about it.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer