Author Topic: What Is Your Donkey Kong Scoring Goal?  (Read 10019 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
What Is Your Donkey Kong Scoring Goal?
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:58 pm »
I'm going with Option #2, for now.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
Re: What Is Your Donkey Kong Scoring Goal?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:54:42 am »
So does this mean we aren't elite unless we get at least 1,150,000 points? What if we're at 1,149,100-1,149,900? Are we in purgatory? :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:58:06 am by Kyou-kun »
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:56:12 am »
It might sound a bit cocky for a noob like me but I have clicked on 5  :-[

I have not started DK just to quit right after my first 1M game. I really want see how far I can get LOL

Love the fact that DK is such a competitive game. On my other favs I basically play just against myself so 0 competition  :'(
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:49:27 am »
It might sound a bit cocky for a noob like me but I have clicked on 5  :-[

I have not started DK just to quit right after my first 1M game. I really want see how far I can get LOL

Love the fact that DK is such a competitive game. On my other favs I basically play just against myself so 0 competition  :'(

Well with other classic games, you can think of it as playing against a 30 year history of video game players that have come, and gone.  Yeah, I get the fact that most of those scores that you pass will probably never be upped in response to you passing them, but you still get a sense of pride that you passed up a person that took this game very seriously at one point in time in their lives, and that this score was satisfactory enough for them to let it be.

Also it's cool just to look at some of the names you pass.   Some of these players are amazing all around players.  Over the years I have passed on the scoreboard in certain games some pretty amazing gamers like Todd Rogers, Dwayne Richard, Shawn Cram, Steve Wagner, Robert Mruckzek, Donald Hayes, Billy Mitchell, Ike Hall, and Steve Wiebe.  In almost every single case they were no longer active in the particular game I passed them up in, but that did not stop me from being amazed at the fact that I was even able to pass one of their many great scores.

In my mind, just because the player has stopped playing it does not mean the score is dead.  In my mind those scores will be around long after those players are no longer breathing.  They are scores that remain with us through generation after generation.  True in a thousand years there may only be 1 or 2 people who will even bother to check to see what the all time scores are on any particular game, but when those scores which are attached to a name are glanced at even for a split second those scores, and our names live on. 

And who knows maybe once ever 20 years in a thousand years a person will have a go at the all time list of scores for a certain game, and in a way he will have a thousand years of scores to compete with, and when that person passes our score or come close to our score they will have a general idea of the struggles we went through in order to achieve such a score.  And in that way we are connected to those of the future, and the people of the future are connected with those of the past.

You see the competition on these great classic games is never 0 in my mind.  Even if no one else besides yourself is currently playing these games, you are still competing with those of the past, and with those of the future who will take up that game you are playing long after you have past away.

Did I just go tangent?  You better believe I just did, but what a fun trip I had while doing it!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 06:00:55 am »

I also went with the second choice, Chris, although Option 1.5 would better express my immediate goal.  I'd like to secure a killscreen score in the mid to upper 900K range via a 110-120K start, a conservative 2-hammer approach to the barrel stages with little to no grouping up top, and finally just running boards when I'm down to 1 man in reserve.

I played my first full game last night with the above approach.

Final Score:  491K  (116K start, 970K overall pace)

2 deaths on conveyors (4-2 and 12-2) and back-to-back rivet deaths (7-6 and, you guessed it, 7-6)

We'll see how it goes today.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:33:24 am »

Well with other classic games, you can think of it as playing against a 30 year history of video game players that have come, and gone.  Yeah, I get the fact that most of those scores that you pass will probably never be upped in response to you passing them, but you still get a sense of pride that you passed up a person that took this game very seriously at one point in time in their lives, and that this score was satisfactory enough for them to let it be......

Good points.

I would never stop to play my favs only because not much other ppl seems to care. A good example is my Gyruss WR on TGTS. is almost 5 M but looks like people have already forgotten the game.

I could easily go for 6M or for 3 with one ship but it's always a fight against my own score and that can be a bit boring after a while. A bit competition would be really nice.

No question it's still fun to go for a WR so I would never stop to practice my favs even if no-one else really cares but it would be for sure cool if all games could have the same amount of active top players like it is in DK  right now.

Enough with the other games talk now, this topic should be all about DK and not about how much I'm pissed that no-one else besides me cares about my other favs LOL

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:39:42 am »
my targets would be 1m first, then to knock billy and steve down another spot  ;D, then go for 1.1+

8)

Simpsons99

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:28:30 am »
To be the first person to get a Millon on all 3 DK Series games

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:39 am »
1.2m is the only goal to have!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:54:35 am »
Isn't Dean Saglio the only one to ever get above 1.15m?
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
I voted for 1.1m. If I could be ensured the record score would stay what it is for a while I'd probably go for it, but there are too many players better than me actively gunning for higher so I'd be happy with 1.1m since it's very doable without the super-risky pressing tactics.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:11:54 am »
Yes Svavar, Dean is the only one that did 1.15m+.

However, even if it takes a lot of skill and time, 1.15m+ isn't that hard to do. A lot of people could do it. 1.15m pace can be done while playing without taking too much extra risk.
1.2m, however, is a lot riskier and take some more luck!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:30:53 am »
Option 1 was my first goal now I'm working on option 2 as my goal

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
I'd be satisfied with 1.1M until that isn't enough to be a main Kong Off competitor.  That's where the real fun is!
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:51:16 am »
Good point, Ben. I agree so I guess I'll slightly amend my answer.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer