Author Topic: Donkey Kong Arcade, varying speeds...?  (Read 4517 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Donkey Kong Arcade, varying speeds...?
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:58 pm »
Just like last year, I got home and played my first game of DK on my home arcade machine (tonight), and noticed it felt slightly faster than the machine I had been playing on all weekend at the KO.

I don't know if it is even possible to compare with others, due to formatting, uploading, compressing, viewing on various monitors and computers with different processors...but nonetheless wanted to officially bring this up.  I posted a couple videos.  One - just the attract screen.  Two - Coin up, game start, and first death with no input.  I also jump a few times for the second death because I feel like the jumps are quicker on my machine.

I figure if things like jumping, moving, delay time during smashes...seem faster to me, then the whole game should be running faster as well, including the time it takes for the attract screen to cycle through...and time for that first barrel to hit you in the head after starting a game.

Could just be mind games, but this is the second time it's happened like this so it might do me some good for people to call me crazy. Here are the links:

Attract
Donkey Kong Attract Screen Speed Test

Coin Up Game Start
Donkey Kong Game Start Speed Test

Maybe the only way to verify this would be to have multiple machines in the same room, power them all up at the same time, and see if any cycle through the attract screen faster.

I used an iPhone 5s, and uploaded in HD format to YouTube.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:13:48 pm by mikegmi2 »
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Arcade, varying speeds...?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:11 pm »
I know that there were several times during the KO3 where I started a game at nearly the same time as people next to me and all of the start-up sounds stayed 'parallel' to one another -meaning they went at the same speed/rate. So, I know at least like 4-5 of the WC machines matched in speed (assuming the startup is a good dictator of the game speed even for when many sprites are on the screen -which actually may not be true).
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:42:41 pm »
I remember you bringing this up in the past, but I think it's physically impossible that different PCBs could be running the game at different speeds.

Differences in the horizontal/vertical sizing on monitors could definitely create the perception that timing (the distances in space and time between objects) is inconsistent, but it's just perception.

I've played on many different DK machines and while monitor differences have definitely thrown me off, I've never noticed this, and you're the only person I know of to feel that this is happening.

Sound might actually be a better indicator, since the sounds are synced with the animation. If your animation is moving at the wrong speed, then your sounds would have to be moving at the wrong speed as well, which would mean that the pitch of the sounds would not match the standard. Check the pitch against other DK machines/MAME.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

lakeman421

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »
Im glad you brought this topic up, because I feel like there are times where the game seems slower on a different cab.  At least now I know I'm not crazy.  Now someone needs to try Eric's unsteerable barrels on his PCB and see what I was saying. 

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:05 pm »
Man, if this is actually a thing, I don't even want to think about how it might affect score submissions! ;D

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:38:59 pm »
There was a similar thing that happened a few years ago when Dwayne set a WR on Nibbler and it ended up that the board was indeed running faster which allowed him to go through boards quicker.  There have been a number of other games in the past that have been affected by subtle variations in voltage going into the board causing different behaviours.  I recall a head to head Frogger battle between Pat and Don that ended because one of the boards keep acting up due to power issues.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11:38 am »
It's funny, the stage start music in Mike's second video DOES sound like it's at the wrong pitch, or like the pitch is actually warping/oscillating AS it plays. (The problem there being that it's video, meaning that there are at least a dozen purely video-related reasons why this could happen.)

Unfortunately, I don't know if anybody who posts at DKF has the technical expertise to speak on this issue definitively. KLOV might have better insight?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:14:14 am by ChrisP »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:27 am »
My 'jump' sound is quite lower pitch than most. I'd suspect that if a machine has different pitches than normal that it is more likely a speaker/sound board issue than something having to do with the pcb. Probably nothing to worry about.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:15 am »
I should have mentioned this when I was talking about pitch, but what you're describing is a separate thing.

The DK sounds are produced by two different chips, one is analog and one is digital. There are five analog sounds (three separate sounds for walking, one for the stomp/crash, and one for jump. Pitch issues with those, which we hear sometimes on some people's boards, are caused by problems in the analog chip.

But the rest of the sounds and music are produced by the digital chip and the pitch should definitely be "standard" from one machine to the next. So if the pitch is off in the music, then there is definitely a problem with the speed at which the program is running.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:13:48 am »
I remember you bringing this up in the past, but I think it's physically impossible that different PCBs could be running the game at different speeds.

This is not really true. There are several things that can happen to game boards to alter aspects of the game including sound speed/pitch, jumpman speed, height and length of jumps ect....

The wrong speed/pitch of the sounds are actually a pretty common repair on the PCB.

Usually the speed differences, like the sound differences we hear are pretty obvious and the skilled player would notice it immediately and anyone watching with any experience with the game would tell for sure. Its not a slightly difference speed, its a radically different speed, like 1.5 x or more or jumpman jumping all the way up the screen...

There was a similar thing that happened a few years ago when Dwayne set a WR on Nibbler and it ended up that the board was indeed running faster which allowed him to go through boards quicker.  There have been a number of other games in the past that have been affected by subtle variations in voltage going into the board causing different behaviours.  I recall a head to head Frogger battle between Pat and Don that ended because one of the boards keep acting up due to power issues.

Dwaynes issue was not a speed issue with the gameplay, it was an issue with the snake/screen regeneration speed. The game changed from board to board much faster giving him the ability to score many more screens per hour, the snake however moved at the proper rate once the board was generated.

I have never seen or heard of power related speed issues, though its technically possible. Usually power issues manifest themselves with random resets or sprite generation problems.

Looking at the video posted, it looks to be playing at the proper speed to me. Like Chris pointed out, aspect ratio, screen height/width can give the perception of game speed difference even if it is truly the same.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:52 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. The last thing I want to do is bring up a pointless topic, and I remember going through this before last year, and realizing that playing on a machine with a 'skinny' ratio...then coming home and playing on a fat one...would trick your brain into thinking the game was running faster...when it really wasn't.

When I started up that first game at home, the first thing I noticed was how quick the fireball took to hop out of the oil can...and then when I started leeching it, how quick the frequency of the jumps seemed.

Then the barrels did seem to be rolling a little faster, but I chalked that up to the aspect ratio diff (I did play on a skinnier ratio at the 1Up, than what I am used to at home).

When I got to leeching Kong on 1-1, I felt like I was playing Super Donkey Kong Remix II Turbo Edition. The jump frequency seemed noticeably faster.

I don't know much about adjusting voltage levels or anything that might effect this, but I'm willing to try anything out. I've done a few minor repairs on my board.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

MrDontsMildRide

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 09:20:59 am »
Just wanted to chime in here, because I consistently play on both a 'skinny' DK and what I suppose is considered an appropriately wide DK. I have the width of my machine at home set skinny because of a monitor fold over issue that I am just too lazy to investigate/pay for to be fixed. It is not super skinny, but pretty noticeable.  The Barcade near me has an appropriately sized machine and the only time I really notice the difference is on 2-1, when going to get the 100 on the first blue barrel on a side jump. On both machines, I start the level holding right, jumping once, then jumping again to get the 100, when to the right of the barrel. On the skinny machine, I occasionally have a little mind explosion and think that the barrel is going t hit me, pause a little and then end up being hit by the barrel anyway. On the wide machine, it always appears that I have space and thus, no mind explosions. There is no difference in the actual speed of the gameplay, and I guess that I'm just agreeing that going from skinny to wide or vice versa is weird and messes with you a bit.

Offline _Zaphod_

• Prime Сasual Dating True Females
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:38 am »
Dwaynes issue was not a speed issue with the gameplay, it was an issue with the snake/screen regeneration speed. The game changed from board to board much faster giving him the ability to score many more screens per hour, the snake however moved at the proper rate once the board was generated.

Oh, the same issue MAME has. :)   The snake generates too fast, and finishes before the sound effects do.  as far as i know this is still unfixed. 

A similar issue affects speech/music timing in fantasy.