Author Topic: Rumored new 4 way joystick rule for all Nintendo cabs  (Read 16393 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Rumored new 4 way joystick rule for all Nintendo cabs
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:07 am »
Yes. Correct. But it never came in those red, blue, orange cabs we all love and care for?.. ;)

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=2572&image=2
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 01:19:39 am »
Oh, didnt know. Lucky me for the question mark...Clearly japanese though. Did sky skipper came in these cabs in the US as well? If im not wrong all these cabs in Japan were particle board and in these US it was plywood? Anyway, what I mean with Nintendo classics its Dk series, Mario and Popeye. I guess as earlier that the eightway restrictor could came from, well, sky skipper, v.s back converted or why not JAMMA-fie a DK cab in those days when nobody cared any longer.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 01:36:13 am »
Well, of course by that definition of "classics", no none of those were 8-way. I was really addressing Hank's inquiry about Nintendo games of that era that were 8-way originally. Heli-Fire is another one.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 03:18:22 am »
Well than, requiring all Nintendo cabs to be 4 way now looks especially not well thought out.  This rule would make it a requirement to put 4 way joysticks on original 8 way Nintendo games.

So there goes the 'Make all games uniform argument".  Here is my point, you are going to screw over people who do not gain ANY advantage on a game with the 4 way rule.   Also did you think of the fact that for the past 10 years people have been playing Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 3, and Popeye games, and probably submitting scores from time to time using 8 ways?  If you allowed it then, than why not now?

I know personally if someone were to get a new DK3 record using an 8 way, that I would recognize them as the record holder.  If Twin Galaxies were to screw that person over I would probably print out a page that said "Congratulations on the Donkey Kong 3 score, I officially recognize you as the new World Record holder.", and send it to them.

The rule should be simple.   If it brings out a clear advantage, than it should not be allowed.  If there is no clear advantage, than it should be allowed.

Also who is arguing to have Popeye, DKJr, and DK3 to be 4 way only?  People who have spent less than 100 hours time combined on these games.   I have spent thousands of hours on at least DKJr, and DK3 combined, and have a much better knowledge about how these games work.

So here is my feelings on the matter of Nitendo Arcade games

Donkey Kong- Yes, it should be a 4 way.  Hank Chien made a persuasive argument that it effects game play enough for it to be a rule.
Donkey Kong Junior- Maybe (I am OK with the rule allowing 8 ways, and 4 ways or just 4 ways only).  There is a part in the Jungle stage where it could be realistically argued that an 8 way could help in that board.  Personally I would like to see a discussion among other million point plus players, and get an idea of where they stand.
Donkey Kong 3-No, I have never seen any kind of advantage to be had with an 8 way on any board.  It's a frivolous rule on this game, and you are making people jump through hoops for no good reason.
Popeye- I have no clue.  My knowledge of this game is extremely limited.  I do know there are steps that Popeye has to climb, and so maybe an 8 way would be an advantage, but I just don't know.  I would like to see a player like Ben Falls speak up on the issue.
Sky Skipper- Since it's an 8 way game to begin with, than yeah not allowing an 8 way is completely a moronic move.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:20:51 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
Noone needs to 'speak up on the issue' as noone on here has any bearing on the rules at TG.

The 4 way mechanically limited Nintendo stick in and Nintendo game that is 4 way is a totally reasonable rule and will stay no matter how unhappy or unfair you think it is.

Know the rules and follow them. The rules that are unreasonable like the power supply rule are already dismissed in practice and after the Kong Off will be addressed officially. Rules that are reasonable like having a 4 way stick in a 4 way game will be staying k?  K.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:44:38 am »
Noone needs to 'speak up on the issue' as noone on here has any bearing on the rules at TG.

The 4 way mechanically limited Nintendo stick in and Nintendo game that is 4 way is a totally reasonable rule and will stay no matter how unhappy or unfair you think it is.

Know the rules and follow them. The rules that are unreasonable like the power supply rule are already dismissed in practice and after the Kong Off will be addressed officially. Rules that are reasonable like having a 4 way stick in a 4 way game will be staying k?  K.

-Ken

Makes sense as 4-way Nintendo sticks aren't too hard to find.  Not sure how easy it is to find the correct power supply.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:57 am »

-Ken

Really requiring a 4 way for an 8 way Sky Skipper is a fair and reasonable rule?  Sorry sir, the emperor has no clothes in that regard.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:25 am »
Really requiring a 4 way for an 8 way Sky Skipper is a fair and reasonable rule?  Sorry sir, the emperor has no clothes in that regard.

I don't think it will ever matter.  KLOV doesn't even list a Sky Skipper in anyone's collection and then if one was located, it would have to be in the hands of someone who cared about setting a WR on it.  TG doesn't even have a listing for arcade scores for it.  Let's get the horse first before we start checking the wheel measurements on the cart.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:53:24 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »

I don't think it will ever matter.  KLOV doesn't even list a Sky Skipper in anyone's collection and then if one was located, it would have to be in the hands of someone who cared about setting a WR on it.  TG doesn't even have a listing for arcade scores for it.  Let's get the horse first before we start checking the wheel measurements on the cart.

Wow, I had no idea it was that rare!  Apparently I am the wearing no clothes with that statement!  Still I would like to see DK3 be optional 4 way or 8 way.  If you think about it, I should be biased for 4 way only since I am pretty sure all the games I broke a record on were 4 way. 

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 12:46:05 pm »
And it looks like 4 people, according to the VAPS census, own Heli Fire.

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
Yep, and listed as four-way Marky_d..  ;)
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »

-Ken

No wonder you cant find a Job, you cant even read...

Quote from: Scoundrl

If the game is an 8 way then an 8 way stick would be required. DK3 is a 4 way game and as such would require a 4 way stick.

Stop arguing just to argue, its stupid.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »
Yeah, I was kind of confused why a game that was designed and released with a 4-way stick would be in question.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
Yep, and listed as four-way Marky_d..  ;)

On KLOV. ;)

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 03:16:01 pm »
Lol!  ;D Typo? Haven't tried it in mame yet and don't have time. Must play GTA5. Sorry for OT btw folks.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15